Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos and spots?

Options
  • 16-01-2006 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering getting a tattoo soon enough, but I was wondering about something. Basically, I used to get a lot of spots, and I somtimes still get them, though not too often, so lets say for example, I get a tattoo on my shoulder, would it ruin the tattoo if I were to get a spot there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

if you had spots at the time, any self respected tat artist wudnt tat the area. ive gotten spots on the tat on my back.. i dunt know if its affected it tho coz its 5hit, got it wen i was 14 r sumtin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Like the previous poster says, an artist should not tattoo over an existing skin condition.
    If you are prone to spots and get a tattoo in that area (presumably it is clear at the time) then I think you could possibly be prone to getting a few more spots for a while until the tattoo settles in.
    I noticed that I got a few spots here and there after my tattoos, I think it is some rubbish dust or something that worked its way in during the tattoo, easy to happen if you think about it. I picked one or two at the beginning but it picks the ink out, so as long as you leave the spot alone and let it run its course, or if you do pick it you make sure just to take the head off then you should be alright.
    Really though, I would ask an artist what the exact story is on this beyond hearsay and peoples personal experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

If it's an actual spot that shows signs of inflammation or infection then it shouldn't be tattooed over since the needle would be ploughing through an active infection, potentially spreading it and increasing the risk of an infected tattoo. If it's blackheads or whiteheads that aren't actually infected then it shouldn't be a problem (as blub said, ask your artist for advice though) but exfoliating well for a few days before the tattoo will help minimize spots after. I have very oily skin on my back, it's basically a minefield of blackheads so even with extra exfoliation not all of them could be gotten rid of but l never had any issues with them when getting either of my shoulder tattoos. I made sure to check with my artist at the consultations though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Getting spots on a tattoo after healing won't do it any harm so long as they are left alone, it's the picking that does the damage.

Advertisement