Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

p2 laptop win2k onboard sound nosound output.

• 16-01-2006 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

I got laptop ,with pentium 2 128meg ram with onbord sound chip ecss128 ,win 2000 installed,when pc starts up i hear bleep, then win2k loads and theres no sound ae all thru speakers from 3.5mm socket or onboard speakers, so i reckon theres some problem with win 2k install.i looked thru device manager control panel sounds,multimedia , all settings look ok.it was playing sounds this morning.i ran sisandra ,it says no problems.SO i think i,m going to have to reinstall windows, i think its a software problem,i can play winamp ,media files.mp3, etc , is there anyone with any suggestions ,i cud try before i reinstall,everything elseworks. i was thinking of burning knoppix cd with bootable cdrom linux environment with media player to test sound output.linux loads off cdr doesnt affect win2k installation. I think theres some file missing that controls sound output.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Is the sound card showing as properly installed in the Device Manager? Have you tried installing/updating the drivers for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Is onboard sound enabled in BIOS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

yeah it shows up in device manager ,its ennabled in bios as ess1289 sound under onboard devices tab in bios .in scenic siemens nixdorf p2 laptop,everything in device manager shows up ok, then i installed sb16 drivers in win 2k, now i get sound output, just beeps wrong directsound drivers installed etc.then last night i removed sb16 driver,and disabled ess wdm sound card ,ess 1289control interface, now in device manager wdm,and interface control 1289 ess are both flagged with yellow tags ,device not working, i cant reinstall or enable them, i have to install win98 on this laptop, i think to get sound card working. i went to safe mode ,loaded last gud working configuration profile , they are still disabled.when i turn on pc i hear beeps 2 ,so i know onboard sound is working ,before win2k loads. maybe i cud set up onboard sound in dos prompt mode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I looked in bios again,ess sound card was enabled, but ess wdm interface was disabled ,i enabled it , so now i,m getting everything enabled in device manager ,no yellow warning tags, but now in multimedia /sound audio tag ,everything is greyed out,3 tabs, no device enabled for recording\playback, or midi music playback, i can select ess sound card or anthing else ,i,ll try reinstall direct x ,or directx diag.when i try play mp3 i get incorrect directsound driver,error etc.cud i go into registry to reset playback device to ess ,i dont care bout recording,just wanna play mp3.s and winamp media.

Advertisement