Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB Speed Questions

• 16-01-2006 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

I've had Eircom BB for nearly two years now and have never had much of a problem with it speed wise etc.
    However, all of today and yesterday it seems to be going very slow and even just viewing simple websites is taking much longer than it should.

Has anyone else noticed this? Also, what are the best tools to use to check the line speed and to monitor the speed as well as the BB usage downloaded and uploaded in realtime?

Cheers
    Vgar

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Mine seems OK. Haven't noticed slowdown.

Download speed is 1.71Mbps
    Upload speed is 105kbps

source: irishisptest.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054875347

Most likely seeing the same symptoms as the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

Mines fine 2.....859 down 105 up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

I have only had Eircom Broadband for about 8 months but i haven't ever had a problem until yesterday (15/01/06) when it seems to take ages to load even simple pages... Even google takes nearly 20 seconds to load! I've ran a speed test and it came up as normal. I ran every piece of security software i had and found nothing...
    I'm on the Ballincollig exchange in Cork, where abouts are you becaue it could just be a localised problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

There is a major upgrade happening at the weekend so there is probably alot of work being done in the exchanges atm in preparation. Your slow down is more than likely related to that.
    You can do a speed test here:
    http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed
    And check your download stats here:
    http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?New&Kb=BB&Company={1326AEE5-D1C7-47EA-B46D-F52C67C45DC5}#stats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭vgar

Cheers guys.

I've just checked the speed on that URL you gave me and go this:

Download speed: 759kbps
    Upload speed: 100kbps

Just seems strange that even with Google (as another poster said) is taking anywhere up to 20 seconds for the page to load.

Hopefully it is just up to the maintenance work going on and will be resolved soon.

Just incase it is localised to particular areas, I'm in the North Kildare area.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

stuff like google is taking anything up to 40 seconds for me to load too and surfing very slow despite getting normal speeds on speedtest sites

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Yeah same for me, speed test say I have 1.7 down and 105 up. But surfing is real slow. And it is the same in work, both on Eircom.

This is D 15 and D 12, so seems to be all over.

Hope it speeds back up, its reminding me of dial up!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

was having big problems with it last night. Got kicked from most of the xbox live games I was in

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I changed my dns settings thats mentioned on the other tread and everythings back to being really fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

vgar wrote:
    Hi,

I've had Eircom BB for nearly two years now and have never had much of a problem with it speed wise etc.
    However, all of today and yesterday it seems to be going very slow and even just viewing simple websites is taking much longer than it should.

Has anyone else noticed this? Also, what are the best tools to use to check the line speed and to monitor the speed as well as the BB usage downloaded and uploaded in realtime?

Cheers
    Vgar

noticed the same thing the last few evenings... skype is unusable and page browsing ranges from ok to dial up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

World Of Warcraft is extremely jerky for me - I've been kicked off the server in the middle of huge fights while I was the leasder of groups! The upgrades are going to be a nightmare.........

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

kaizersoze wrote:
    There is a major upgrade happening at the weekend so there is probably alot of work being done in the exchanges atm in preparation.

What are the speeds changing to - couldn't see much info on their site.

Not much info either on BT - presumably they're increasing the speeds at the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

1013 wrote:
    What are the speeds changing to - couldn't see much info on their site.

Not much info either on BT - presumably they're increasing the speeds at the same time?
    1mb/128k--->2mb/256k
    2mb/128k--->3mb/384k
    The business packages are going up aswell but I can't think of the figures at the minute.
    Here is a link to the Eircom service bulletin:
    http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=67&E=0000000000008506418&K=8250&SXI=0&case=8778&branch=4

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

kool i just noticed i got upgraded from 2mb/128k--->3mb/384k

:D:D chuffed.. the old upload speed was poxy!!

Advertisement