Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joy in The Hood

• 16-01-2006 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching Des on RTE2 now? its pure funny!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭KeithMur

The only thing I'd say is that it isn't long enough.

Great stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

I thought it was awful, that red head was a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I thought it was pretty average, the comedians weren't very funny. The only thing good was the few scenes you get to see of the places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

yeah and Des' one scenes were ok too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I forgot all about it this week. Is it repeated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thought this week's show was very poor, not a patch on last week's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I thought it was pretty average, the comedians weren't very funny. The only thing good was the few scenes you get to see of the places.
    I fully agree... the only really funny bit tonight was when the camera panned out on the field full of burnt out cars. I think I heard him say there were 28 people auditioned for the workshop. Maybe if they had advertised the auditions more then they would have got funnier people and the show would have been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Illkillya wrote:
    I fully agree... the only really funny bit tonight was when the camera panned out on the field full of burnt out cars. I think I heard him say there were 28 people auditioned for the workshop. Maybe if they had advertised the auditions more then they would have got funnier people and the show would have been better.
    I saw one of the lads from Ballymun at the international comedy club and he put on a very good show. Don't know if any of those lads would make a decent stage performance though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

I just want to see a show involving the lads in ballymun.. not the comedians on the show but the real comedian headz out in the flats... the guys doing "Cribs"... the Angle Grinder ... THAT WORKED....

That was class... and funnier than any other part of the show...

-Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

I forgot all about it this week. Is it repeated?

On Sunday nights I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I thought some of there stuff was really good, most of the last nights clips were great! THANK GOD Joy dropped out, that was a joke in itself that she got through!!!
    Limerick next week, yay!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

I saw that red head guy, Colm, last night in the Opera house supporting Des and I have to say that tonight's Joy in the Hood didn't do him much justice. There was no comparison between the Colm who could get genuine laughs out of a packed theatre who I saw yesterday evening and the incomprehensible mess I saw on the telly tonight. Maybe he picked up a few cracker jokes over Christmas or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

bit disappointing tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

Teg Veece wrote:
    I saw that red head guy, Colm, last night in the Opera house supporting Des and I have to say that tonight's Joy in the Hood didn't do him much justice. There was no comparison between the Colm who could get genuine laughs out of a packed theatre who I saw yesterday evening and the incomprehensible mess I saw on the telly tonight. Maybe he picked up a few cracker jokes over Christmas or something.

It was shot over a year ago I think. So he'll have had plenty of time to improve!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

I thought it was fairly average. The best part was when Des was describing the burnt out cars in the field. I didnt see the Ballymun show last week. I enjoy Des Bishop though. Hes the best comedian in ireland after Tommy Tiernan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

There was some guy on Gerry Ryan complaining that it painted the Cork people in a very bad light. I thought it made them out to be interesting people with character.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

It was shot over a year ago I think.

It was filmed last May - it said on the posters that the 'gig' was on the 22nd of May 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I think the programme itself could do with a workshop.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054872327

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

KeithMur wrote:
    The only thing I'd say is that it isn't long enough.

Great stuff
    same with me

Yeahm I saw a Limerick guy life, he wasnt really great, i dunno how they think it paints a bad picture of a city, its the very worst estate in Cork!
    Thats like the whole point, neh... cant wait for next week, but i bet they will be dreadful comedians!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Saw Des Bishop in Vicar street and he had yer man from Ballymun on it. I have to say I was very impressed. Takes some balls to get on Stage somewhere like Vicar Street for your first real gig and do a stand up act. He pulled it off very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

"Ah thats very funny, now go home you ****ing ferrit!" Hilarious :D

haha, yeah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

id prefer if it showed more of him talking to people in the area like with the cribs bit in ballymun and the joyriders in cork, its like a community project to benefit the people of these areas which is bad cuz i just want to se some psychos do crazy ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

I was readin' in the Indo yesterday (not the best of papers I know) that the local politicians in Knocknaheeny were offended by last week's Joy in the Hood and want an apology from Mr. Bishop. If that's true it's just a wee bit over the top. If you took away the burnt out cars, joyriding and run down houses, the area was portrayed in a very positive light. You got the feeling there was a good community spirit despite the aforementioned problems.

Yeah, i mean.. look at Limerick, we are the ones that should be complaining and it hasnt even gone out yet, http://www.desbishop.com/desblog/blog.html Oh, would ya look at that, they already have complained!!!!
    I dont mind this show, its not like its being unfair to limerick in any special way! If it was only Limerick, then... but OMG!!!
    Although it already has showed Limerick in a bad light, other then the not selling tickets bit, the only preview they showed was of a kid on a homemade go kart! The boys in Dublin were on big ass quid bikes... god damn it!! The damn poor boy couldnt have stolen something as cool have that, No... he had to ride around on a piece of wood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

LFCFan wrote:
    Saw Des Bishop in Vicar street and he had yer man from Ballymun on it. I have to say I was very impressed. Takes some balls to get on Stage somewhere like Vicar Street for your first real gig and do a stand up act. He pulled it off very well.
    i saw that too.. ****in great gig!!

The Southhill one was last night!
    I thought it was the best yet!!! Absolutley brilliant!!!
    From the opening "Southhill basically is one of the roughest areas in Ireland, .. I'm glad to be here ..." haha. it only went up from there.
    I saw the gayish guy in UCH, i liked his "I'm single by choice, its my second choice, but.." :)
    Kevin 'Bull' McKeogh was great, "I was robbed in the bathroom, IT WAS THE FCUKING STAFF TOILETS, walk back into the principal, i told him what just happened, he tries to sell it back to me!!"
    HAHA
    I thought the other guy was great too. the way he said, "eh, .. i was arrested", haha, and his joke at the end was superb!! "Thanks Declan, The Galvoine, probably the only pub in Ireland were you can get beer with a note!" and then "My teacher had 4 cans ready for me, and the bartender asked why i was out from school?!?"
    Well at least the woman this week was ALOT better than the one Joy from Cork, OMG she was terrible! seeing as they choose 4 from 5 i think they got lucky with the people who applied!
    They showed alot more footage as well of the area rather then the guys, by the river was great! haha, walking into Southhill powerlifting gym "Most people are frightened to come to Southhill, I'm about to meet the biggest fcukers in Southhill!". Haha.
    Oh yeah, "Horses in Southhill are like dogs in Raheen, everyone has them! .. Do you ever see a horse chasing a postman???" :)
    Everything about this weeks was hilarious, I dunno if thats just because it was in Limerick, but I really thought it was great!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I saw the gayish guy in UCH, i liked his "I'm single by choice, its my second choice, but.." :)

Stolen verbatim from a ten year old Graham Norton act. What a load of bull. Given up on this show entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Ok having watched this tonight, I was like WTF this is so damn bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Willem D wrote:
    Ok having watched this tonight, I was like WTF this is so damn bad.

I have watched them all and this one was not really funny at all. Wonder will Belfast be any good next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Tbh I am not a big fan of Dublin in general , but the first show was no doubt the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Yeah, last nights episode was the worst so far. :(

Uh huh, i concur... really only one line came out of it that people were saying all day today, 'you smell like a fool'! haha, yeah... but really it was poor

Hey, I know I'm kinda bringing this out from the blue, but on the first show of the Fired.tk Audio Entertainment Show new season, we have an interview with Kevin 'The Bull' Keogh from the Southhill show.. he's really funny.
    The show is basically a 30min comedy online radio show, if you want to check it out please visit www.fired.tk and please teel anyone you think may be interested

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

you know it's not exactly expensive to get a .com?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Des is a great comedian and i think he's great. This is a good idea for a show but I have to say it's TERRIBLE. Not funny, and not long enough. *sigh* hate to say it but it's true. The only jokes are about how bad the area is...and they're not funny

Advertisement