Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP and DOS programs

• 16-01-2006 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭

Does anyone run dos programs in their winxp? Did you have any problems running them?
    I am going to try running a dos program on a pc tomorrow and would like a heads up of things that may happen and what I can do about it, if possible?

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

What program?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

It's a veterinary program, VMS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The Program Compatibility Wizard has it's limits. That is all.

Karoma wrote:
    The Program Compatibility Wizard has it's limits. That is all.

Um, not heard of that. Could you expand some more?

Kevin

Create a shortcut to your executable (not batch files). Right click on it and go to Properties, and click the Compatability tab.

EDIT: Turns out you can click directly on the EXE too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Right-click on the program/installation file -> Properties -> Compatibility -> you have options there to disable some XP-specific stuff,and to try emulate previous Windows versions. (Otherwise, Start menu->Programs->Accessories -> Program Compatibility Wizard)

It really does depend on the application to be honest. It may not run at all.. impossible to say. Check the software co.'s website / google..

OK lads, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

kleefarr wrote:
    Does anyone run dos programs in their winxp? Did you have any problems running them?
    I am going to try running a dos program on a pc tomorrow and would like a heads up of things that may happen and what I can do about it, if possible?

Thanks,

Kevin

Could also try DosBox
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php?page=0

DosBox can be very, very fickle about what it will run though. The results between different applications can differ an awful lot.

I tried out the compatibility thing, even followed 4 pages of tips and tricks from the microsoft site. Nothing.
    Have been looking into the DOSbox solution. Read up on it a a DOSbox forum and it was suggested that I use DOSBox CSV and load windows 3.1 into it. That would be the best way to run the program. Windows 3.1!:eek:

Anybody done this yet? Where do I find a copy of Windows 3.1?

I think I have some old floppies somewhere, If I remember correctly, that had some sort of windows dos label on. Um.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I have a copy of Windows 3.11 (I think it is 3.11), my uncle had it on his PC before he upgraded to Win95. I can get the disks off him but I do not know if I would be allowed to send you a copy of the disk images to use (I wont be able to post the disks), it is probably illegal as I am not sure about the EULA on that particular software. AFAIK, Win3.1(1) never required a licence key to install. I will look into it if you wish.

XP's compatibility mode only applies to 32-bit executables. 16-bit code (DOS or Windows) isn't affected by any of the options (except the 256 colours and 640x480 resolution settings).

By the way, MS-DOS support is limited to version 5.00 in all NT-based versions of Windows, including XP.

Advertisement