Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

residents association

Options
  • 16-01-2006 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

just wondering do people think we need/should have one ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

Dont see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi ccfexile,

I think it's a great idea. If you look at the management companies thread, it looks like builders can hold off giving any say to the residents in the running of the management committee once there are still houses for sale on an estate. This includes houses that have not been sold, and are being rented or leased out (the creche in the Grove may fall under this category).

The next best thing is a Residents' Association which at least gives an organised front to deal with builders etc.

Check out this impressive site: http://www.tramyard.com - it's a website for a residents association that was set up for an estate in Inchicore.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Definitely a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dubhelp

That residients site is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jingle

Am living in Wood and we have a residents comittee on the Board of Mangement of the Management Company. These people were nominated / elected at the AGM the mangement comittee held last year.

We have Wyse as our mgmt company and were provided with a clear breakdown of what the charges included for when we signed our contracts.

Just got the renewal for 06 (thank god we can pay quarterly as its €€€€ and I'm skint after Xmas). In the letter we got a breakdown of this years charges and explainations against most items from last year (eg. waste charges went up but insurance went down).

I'd recommend that u talk to ur mgmt company and and when the AGM is taking place. Remember that the mgmt companies work for u and as an individual estate (grove, park, wood etc) you would have the right to change mgmt companies if it was universally agreed that they were not performing there duties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

yep, the tramyard site is excellent.
    i think we should do the same. we could also set up a community noticeboard, etc, to reach each other for various things. i think that's what the login bit is on the LHS of the tramyard page.

I see charlesland.ie is still available. Might seriously annoy the charlesland golfers though (see charlesland.com), if we stepped in there, what with us being the scruffy blow-ins and all. :D

(eoin_s, i think this is when you put your hand up and volunteer to start the ball rolling.) ;)

i'd help too of course, but i'm rather poor at html. i'm sure i could fundraise the capital necessary for purchasing the address, etc. i.e a couple of euros in the pot from everyone drinking at the next session, or roof wetting party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭SJ

Great idea and I am more than happy to help out too - am not the most IT literate either but could help with organising of social events (last saturday night was a minor hiccup - am usually much more organised!!!):D Feck the golfers I think charlesland.ie is a great site - and we could get the respective mgmt committees to dole out some mula for the upkeep - god knows i'm sure they have enough (rant rant!) We could have representatives from each block, wood, court, park and grove! And also seabourne and the crescent and fairways! we can take over the world!!! :eek:

yep, the tramyard site is excellent.
    i think we should do the same. we could also set up a community noticeboard, etc, to reach each other for various things. i think that's what the login bit is on the LHS of the tramyard page.

I see charlesland.ie is still available. Might seriously annoy the charlesland golfers though (see charlesland.com), if we stepped in there, what with us being the scruffy blow-ins and all. :D

(eoin_s, i think this is when you put your hand up and volunteer to start the ball rolling.) ;)

i'd help too of course, but i'm rather poor at html. i'm sure i could fundraise the capital necessary for purchasing the address, etc. i.e a couple of euros in the pot from everyone drinking at the next session, or roof wetting party.

Alrighty then, as you may or not know I am a web developer by trade, and would have no problems getting the ball rolling. A suitable webhosting package should cost in or around €100 per annum.

Charlesland.ie is available, however you generally need to have a registered trademark / company name / trading name etc to register a .ie domain.

Charlesland.net and Charlesland.org are available. The .org one would be more appropriate (.org is generally for non commercial organisations).

I can progress this further if the other Charlesland people here on boards think that this is the way to go, and that the support is there - not even so much the financial side of things, but spreading the word etc.

Edit:
    I am in the Grove, but personally I don't think a residents association needs to be set up for each part of the estate (apart from dealing with management companies)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ccfcexile

personally i think this web page would suffice(good stuff eoin ), the sticky option is there for any news that needs to be told, also people anyone you know who are moving to the area email them the link the more on sire the more inclusive it can be ,
    as for a residents association where would be the most ideal place to hold one for a first meeting ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dubhelp

We got sick of looking for tradespeople and that why we set up the mytrade.ie directory. You would pull your hair out waiting for them regardless of whether you do it as one person or as an assocation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

eoin_s wrote:
    I am in the Grove, but personally I don't think a residents association needs to be set up for each part of the estate (apart from dealing with management companies)?

Maybe not as distinct groups, but it makes sense to have people from each part of the estate on the association.

Dubhelp wrote:
    We got sick of looking for tradespeople and that why we set up the mytrade.ie directory. You would pull your hair out waiting for them regardless of whether you do it as one person or as an assocation.

That's the 4th plug for the site on this forum alone - I think that should be enough. By the way, if this is a non-profit site, you should mention it when plugging the site, as the site admins here take a dim view of commercial advertising on boards.ie

Eoin

eoin_s wrote:
    as you may or not know I am a web developer by trade,
    thought as much..

well, if you start thinking about a site, SJ, myself and a few of the others we know (on and off this list), can organise a proper night out. whether it's knacker-drinking on the green, or a properly organised night in one of the pubs..

would a Saturday night in end Feb, early March suit?

thought as much..

well, if you start thinking about a site, SJ, myself and a few of the others we know (on and off this list), can organise a proper night out. whether it's knacker-drinking on the green, or a properly organised night in one of the pubs..

would a Saturday night in end Feb, early March suit?

il bring the 2 litre of devils bit and the straws:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

I think to be fair we should inform as many people as possible about our discussions/intentions, otherwise we may be accused of the few making all the decisions for the many.
    If we setup the Charlesland website now, then inform everyone in Charlesland about the site. We can then use this to properly organize the resident committee and of course any future social activities.

Ru wrote:
    I think to be fair we should inform as many people as possible about our discussions/intentions, otherwise we may be accused of the few making all the decisions for the many.
    If we setup the Charlesland website now, then inform everyone in Charlesland about the site. We can then use this to properly organize the resident committee and of course any future social activities.

If nothing else, hopefully some of the other residents have some experience in setting up a residents' association, let alone being on one.

I reckon we look at organising another night out soon, and we can talk about it over a couple of beers? Will start a new thread for Charlesland Night Out #2

eoin_s wrote:
    If nothing else, hopefully some of the other residents have some experience in setting up a residents' association, let alone being on one.

I reckon we look at organising another night out soon, and we can talk about it over a couple of beers? Will start a new thread for Charlesland Night Out #2

i'll print some flyers out for the Superquinn, pizza place, bus, etc. when we've agreed a date that suits.

Ru wrote:

That's a very good point - with that in mind, maybe it is too early to set up a website?

One of the problems with using this site, is that it isn't an easy address to remember if you want to give it out to people, so I have set up this address:

http://SayHi.To/Charlesland

This just redirects to this forum, but should be easier for people to remember.

Eoin

FYI, moved the management company posts to a the "management companies" thread to keep it all together!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054873428

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

OK, :confused: I'm one of the first to move into the Grove and have discussed the formation of a residents association and we are certainly up for this...but I'm not sure from the above, where we stand on this?

Any meeting proposed, or can this be combined with the p!ss up :)

• Advertisement

imin the grove too :)
    i think that maybe for each estate the grove, wood , park etc should maybe have one/two members each on an overall board ???

ccfcexile wrote:
    imin the grove too :)
    i think that maybe for each estate the grove, wood , park etc should maybe have one/two members each on an overall board ???

good thinking,

i think we could probably go with a residents assoc for each estate (with whoever wants to participate) and perhaps we can assign representatives from each, to discuss the common issues, like bins, buses, lights, maintainence, dealing with the council and service charges, etc.

otherwise, we'll need a town hall for everyone to get together in.

right now, i think we'll probably be meeting in scripts, or whoever is brave enough to let everyone into their homes.. although 100+ people in one of our lounges might be a bit tight..

what do you think?

good thinking,

i think we could probably go with a residents assoc for each estate (with whoever wants to participate) and perhaps we can assign representatives from each, to discuss the common issues, like bins, buses, lights, maintainence, dealing with the council and service charges, etc.

otherwise, we'll need a town hall for everyone to get together in.

right now, i think we'll probably be meeting in scripts, or whoever is brave enough to let everyone into their homes.. although 100+ people in one of our lounges might be a bit tight..

what do you think?

The creche besides Superquinn is huge, and might have a large enough room to hire

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

I like these ideas people.

Hopefully something does materialize and we can keep this going.

I can help with the web site if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

We'd be happy to sponsor the domain name and hosting / email options (could even give name@charlesland.org email addy's to residents :) )

We'd be happy to sponsor the domain name and hosting / email options (could even give name@charlesland.org email addy's to residents :) )

That's really cool - thanks Steve!

THURSDAY 8TH JUNE 8:00 PM PUROGA - CHARLESLAND RESIDENTS' ASSOCIATION INAUGRAL MEETING

Puroga)Creche beside Superquinn) is available any night next week for a Resident's Association meeting. I propose Thursday and I'll ask Eoin to "sticky" a notice to that effect. Any objections to Thursday? Need to get as many attending as possible.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD, WE'LL BE DISTRIBUTING FLIERS BUT PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DO YOUR OWN!

Please distribute BEFORE tomorrow !!!

http://www.footypix.com/files/ResidentsAssociation.doc

Print-cut down the middle and away you go.

See you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Hi Marcais.... I will print off around a 100 now and put in letter boxes in Charlesland Grove 2 and some of Charlesland park. Hopefully it will get a good turn out.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Was talking to Cuala Prop. Mgmnt the other day, we're due to get our Mgt Fee bills some time soon (plus statement of accounts from them etc etc). Billing period is Jan-Dec (theyre a bit late going out!) but you do get credited with any balance you had left if you paid up last year and i think its quite reasonable - €350 (or thereabouts) for the year (2-bed townhouse).

Also they mentioned that they are hoping to set up a Mgmnt Co meeting in the near future (need find a venue large enough, possibly the rugby club but thats not confirmed). Sounded like good news. We also get the opportunity to discuss the kitty which is like a collective pool of a small portion of the mgmnt fee that we can use for ad-hoc things/improvements for Charlesland.

Advertisement