Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College In Wales

Options
  • 17-01-2006 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Heading to Wales/Swansea End of the Summer for college, Just wondering has anyone been to college to Swansea, there is 3 heading over and we will be looking for Housing.. Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Nothing to do with college really but... I see you're a rugby fan. Will you be adopting the Ospreys? Great new stadium in Morfa (just outside of Swansea), you could cheer for Gavin Henson. It'd be great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I wouldnt say i would be adopting the Ospreys but will def go to most of there matchs......the 3 of us would be well into the rugby.. and will be part time students for the first year which is nice as we have alot of the subjects covered.... ............
    Nothing to do with college really but... I see you're a rugby fan. Will you be adopting the Ospreys? Great new stadium in Morfa (just outside of Swansea), you could cheer for Gavin Henson. It'd be great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Keep it related to College work. You can always PM each other.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Having been to Swansea, and seen the University..I'll say rather you than me ;)

Why ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I guess he/she's insinuating that swansea is a dump.

John

Well i kinda guessed what but was asking the reason

He (;)) is insinuating it's a dump, because it was one of the more godforsaken places I've ever been in

As i said in my previous Post! but reasons would be handy!!!!!!!!!!
    BuffyBot wrote:
    He (;)) is insinuating it's a dump, because it was one of the more godforsaken places I've ever been in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I've just had an offer of a place in Swansea starting Sept. too. Obviously I'd also be interested in knowing why the place is a dump (according to BuffyBot at least). Same as OP I'd be interested if anyone has any useful information on the place.

Think there's a faculty open day there next month so I'll try get to that and I'll stick up a post at that stage if I remember.

I've been told elsewhere that it's not the greatest place in the world too but places are often what you make of them. By the sounds of it there's a bit of regeneration going on there and I get the impression that it's a reasonable cheap place to live (which will be important to me).

<edit>

Also I've an offer from Bangor (seems uber remote) and waiting on Cardiff if anyone has details on these places. Of the three I've only been to Cardiff and that was on 6 nations day in the sunshine mit beer, so everything was possibly a little too idylic - although Ireland did lose...

• Advertisement

The people - not particularily nice
    The town - a horrible looking dump
    The university campus - I've seen council housing estates which looked better than parts of it.

..and that's just for starters.

On the positive side, it is (currently) one of the cheaper places to live in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

BuffyBot wrote:
    The people - not particularily nice
    The town - a horrible looking dump
    The university campus - I've seen council housing estates which looked better than parts of it.

..and that's just for starters.

On the positive side, it is (currently) one of the cheaper places to live in the UK

Don't know much about the university campus but would find it hard to argue against the other points here.

LOL, cheers :) Any idea what employment is like in the area? chances of getting a crappy student job (or something better).

Well there are some big call-centres (HSBC, directory enquiries) there and there are the usual supermarkets etc

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

Im in first year in Carmarthen, about an hour from swansea. It is quite a cheap place to live, and theres some great places to go out, but although ive only been a few times and probably havent seen half the place, it does seem a bit on the godforsaken side alright.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Wales%2C_Swansea
    Looking at wikipedia the place sounds rather militant. Have my place booked for the open day next month :)

You have any place sorted yet pete? What you planning on Studying over there?
    p.pete wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Wales%2C_Swansea
    Looking at wikipedia the place sounds rather militant. Have my place booked for the open day next month :)

You have any place sorted yet pete? What you planning on Studying over there?
    No accomodation if that's what you mean - unless you were applying for college accomodation I think it's far too early to be considering that (though definitely start looking at your options!). I'd be studying psychology.

We have a place sorted already in Mount pleasent! You can never start to early.And Hoping to get a Job with HSBC
    p.pete wrote:
    No accomodation if that's what you mean - unless you were applying for college accomodation I think it's far too early to be considering that (though definitely start looking at your options!). I'd be studying psychology.

We have a place sorted already in Mount pleasent! You can never start to early.And Hoping to get a Job with HSBC
    Cool! If I decide to go for Swansea (looking fifty-fiftyish at the moment) I'll pump you for a contact in HSBC, though maybe I don't have the same qualifications as yourself of course :)

I'll check out accomodation in Uplands, failing that I'll look for a cheapish house share in the Summer. I'm in Reading at the moment so wouldn't be looking to move over til the end of the Summer.

• Advertisement

Where i work for at the moment actually deals with all the banks incl hsbc so i am bankin on a job with them... there call centre is in swansea...And call centres pay way more than Bars/pubs......I am only going to be a part time student for the first year as i have the subjects covered so will be handy for money/working.

p.pete wrote:
    Cool! If I decide to go for Swansea (looking fifty-fiftyish at the moment) I'll pump you for a contact in HSBC, though maybe I don't have the same qualifications as yourself of course :)

I'll check out accomodation in Uplands, failing that I'll look for a cheapish house share in the Summer. I'm in Reading at the moment so wouldn't be looking to move over til the end of the Summer.

Advertisement