Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help me get my router working (moron terms please)

• 17-01-2006 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

I have Eircom broadband (not wireless) and I bought a ZyXEL Prestige 600 Series modem (Netopia one broke)

I have a CNet Wireless Router here (http://www.cnetusa.com/product/specs/wl_cnbr914w(b).htm) and I want to use it basically as a switch (or a hub... can't remember which is which) to connect my laptop and PC to the internet at the same time (only one ethernet port on the ZyXEL)

When I plug the modem from the ethernet socket into the router into the WLAN port (I assume that's right) and then plug the PC into one of the ethernet slots on the back I can't connect to the internet.

I also can't access 192.168.1.1 (tells me the connection was refused) and also can't access 192.168.1.254 (the IP of the router http://www.cnetusa.com/support/manuals/914W(B)MANUAL.pdf < this tells me it's that anyway)

Can anyone tell me how to connect this up and how to go about configuring it?

Not too interested in Wireless right now (I've got a wireless card I'll have to use ndiswrapper for on the laptop cos it's running Ubuntu and doesn't have Linux drivers and no wireless card for the PC yet)... just want to be able to connect the two up at once without using USB for the PC and Ethernet for the laptop

In moron terms please... explain it like you would to a 6 year old :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

steveland? wrote:
    ... explain it like you would to a 6 year old
    You should be in bed:p
    Are you running any firewall software or Norton Internet Security?
    If so disable them temporarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Windows Firewall (the one on XP)

Tried it ages ago when I had XP on my laptop too (without SP2 or the firewall) and it wouldn't work then either

Advertisement