Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smart order

• 17-01-2006 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

YAY! i got an email off smart saying im on stage 3, should have modem in next few days, however when i ring eircom my house number it still rings out,
    can anyone here who ordered smart remember how long after they got this message they had the modem and were online?

thanks,
    luke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulyx

can anyone here who ordered smart remember how long after they got this message they had the modem and were online?

thanks,
    luke

Hi Luke,

I got the mail on Tue got my modem on Sunday and have it working since last night.....I did make a complaint to comreg

P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Modem delivered on Sunday - very impressive. I'm still at stage 1 since the week before christmas and currently with Digiweb DSL and Eircom for landline so I guess I'm looking at a long wait. I see from the smart website that they'r going to be launching a voip product soon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

digitaldr wrote:
    Modem delivered on Sunday - very impressive. I'm still at stage 1 since the week before christmas and currently with Digiweb DSL and Eircom for landline so I guess I'm looking at a long wait. I see from the smart website that they'r going to be launching a voip product soon.

If you mean the 076 service its already launched:

http://www.smart076.ie/home.vox

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

I got the first mail saying i was on stage one on a Tuesday,Thursday stage three,modem was delivered on the Friday..up and running friday night. :)

This was last October btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭irishpal25

my new number started working yesterday but my broadband still isnt working :mad: anyone else have them problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Vulture

Me and the flat mates have been trying to get Smart into the house since late October early november and we still dont have it. We were advised at the beginning it would take 2 weeks, which i thought was a bit optmistic. Anyway 2 weeks after we order mate calls them up and they say their was a mess up in our order and that they would have to put it through again, then on the 24/11/05
    This mail.
    "
    Hi X,
    Just another update on your order with Smart Broadband, your connection is still stalled due to the fact that there is already a broadband signal on the line.
    To proceed with the order you will need to contact the provider you are using and cancel your broadband service with them you will also need to ask for the corresponding cancellation code.

Even if you have already cancelled the service with your previous provider there is a good chance that the actual signal itself is still there so most importantly you will need to ask for the DSL signal to be cleared and also the date that the DSL signal will be cleared.

Once you have done this you can contact me by e-mail or by phone on 01 4699 300 - ext 434.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards
    Damien Scanlan
    Smart Telecom Broadband
    "

At the time i worked for Eircom so so i told my mate the following.
    The line was "cleared of the DSL signal" or unjumpered on the 17th of October, i had the engineers name and the times he arrived and left the exchange.
    As for "you will also need to ask for the corresponding cancellation code" Eircom do not issue cancellation codes to customers. Eircom issue a phone number to ISP's who ask. When said ISP needs to confirm a cancelation they call that number.

Flat mate calls them up and they say it will take 10 working days no cancelation code required, grand. 10 working days or so later still no dsl, calls them up they say he need's to give them his bank account info or something like that, otherwise the order cant go through. He looses the rag because he's given them his bank details in a earlyier call, gets through to a manager/team lead. They find his account details apoligise and tell him it will take 10 working days. 10 working days or so later still no DSL. Calls again in a rage becaues the person he's talking to has no idea whats going on. Gets through to a Manager/team leader, they apoligise they have rectified the problem and it will only take 10 more days. A few days later on January 3rd we get this mail.
    "
    Your account details have been confirmed and your Broadband Order is in
    progress. This may take between 5-10 working days.
    Please be patient.
    Kind Regards,
    Smart Telecom Broadband Team
    "
    10 working days later still no DSL, calls up "bla bla bla" they say we will have it on the 25th of January. We still have not recieved the modem yet either.

I'm not holding my breath and have made no plans that involve decent web access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Our phone number was changed over the day after the stage 3 email, modem was delivered the next day and DSL was enabled less than an hour after the modem arrived - I wonder does the courier inform Smart who then enable your DSL or was it just coincidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

good times, my phone number has been changed, im so so happy to be rid of eircon. hopefully modem will of arrived by tomorrow. ill post when it does

luke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Oh my God Vulture... What a horrible story! A real nightmare! Sounds like you did everything perfectly but SMART just can't get their act together...

I'm thinking of going with them when they become available in my area in March. But my old Eircom phone line (through which I had BT broadband) was de-activated over a year ago...
    Can SMART re-activate phone lines or do I have to contact Eircom and pay the reconnection fee and THEN port number to SMART?

When I spoke to them (SMART) they said they could re-activate my phone line but for some reason I'm not so sure... :cool:

When I spoke to them (SMART) they said they could re-activate my phone line but for some reason I'm not so sure... :cool:

Not to sure myself, normally eircom have to reactivate it so it can be tested to see if it's eligible for DSL. But your line already passed for DSL and smart will be taking complete control of the line.
    I figure smart should be able to do it though and it may be easyier as you dont have to get the line uninstalled from eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Vulture wrote:
    Not to sure myself, normally eircom have to reactivate it so it can be tested to see if it's eligible for DSL. But your line already passed for DSL and smart will be taking complete control of the line.
    I figure smart should be able to do it though and it may be easyier as you dont have to get the line uninstalled from eircom.
    Now that's what I like to hear! :D Let's just hope I don't get dragged into a nightmare situation such as yours! :o Good luck with SMART by the way and let us know how you get on!

the deadlyness of it all, got final email, on stage 4, bb is on the line. gonna buy a wireless router in argos today. cant wait to get home (how sad am i)

my broadband still isnt live. rang up this morning (yesterday i was told it would be up by today). now they are telling me it wont be live till early next week. im not very happy with the customer service at the moment! they just keep telling me it will be another few days. i can bet you that they will say it will be another few days when i ring up next week.
    i am now having to pay smart to use dial up too and they are giving me nothing to compensate me for it.

I cant really be objective about it as it's taking me so long to get Broadband, but their customer service is a joke in terms of giving solid deadlines. Actually all we've had is a dead line since we called them.

got it sorted today, on 6mb now and i cant find words to describe the deadlyness of it oll

i hope mines is up when i get home. smart did promise to have it up today. i know it wont be though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 holden

hehe... i've had that exact same promise but there's not even a dialtone on the phone yet so i'm not holding my breath. other than that it's a "router has been dispatched/router will be dispatched/line still has to be unbundled/etc."-story... :(

my broadband is now up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

I ordered Smart back in November, they told me they would activate the line for me also. One month later they told me they could not find the exchange. Even I knew the exchange, I live across the road from it! Anywho rather than hang around and wait for them I contacted eircom and got them to activate the line and confirm the exchange. I passed this info onto Smart about the middle of December but everytime I ring them since they have told me this detail is wrong or that detail is wrong. Apparently if any details are incorrect Eircom will not switch over the line. Of course I also get the "The line should be switched within 10 workings days" at the end of each call but I never believe it. I'm mostly pissed off that I'm missing the 6Mb promo which is why I wanted to sign up before Xmas but also that they do no seem to be upfront or honest about messups they have made. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

brimur69 wrote:
    I ordered Smart back in November, they told me they would activate the line for me also. One month later they told me they could not find the exchange. Even I knew the exchange, I live across the road from it! Anywho rather than hang around and wait for them I contacted eircom and got them to activate the line and confirm the exchange. I passed this info onto Smart about the middle of December but everytime I ring them since they have told me this detail is wrong or that detail is wrong. Apparently if any details are incorrect Eircom will not switch over the line. Of course I also get the "The line should be switched within 10 workings days" at the end of each call but I never believe it. I'm mostly pissed off that I'm missing the 6Mb promo which is why I wanted to sign up before Xmas but also that they do no seem to be upfront or honest about messups they have made. :(

Unfortunately Smart's main weakness appears to be on the CSR side. However try posting your problem here: http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

The staff there are really very good and it might be a way to get some definite information.

• Advertisement

The DSL did not arrive on the wednesday the 25th, so Joe called them and they said a eircom engineer would have to call out and check the line or something like that. I thought that was a bit strange but eircom did actually call that wednesday shortly afterwards to confirm it. But it's saturday now and the engineer never showed. On Monday Joe is gonna call up and just cancel the account. I was for giving smart another week but i got out voted 3 to 1. So here my SMART experience end's. But my BT experience is just beginning.

Excuse the double post but just got more info. This mail was sent to me by joe today.
    "I was right they did try and deliver it to our house, but the good news is next door has it now so we have our Modem, we should be online possibly today but soon anyway, she said once we have it we can try and should be online, but I don’t believe them."

Maybe the saga is comming to a end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Got my modem last tuesday and my smart phone number just became active today (6 days later). I was with Digiweb DSL who cancelled my BB a day after I asked. Unfortunately the DSL light is still lit on my old modem. Anyone know how long I should expect to wait for my line to be cleared of BB and for smart's BB to be enabled?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

digitaldr wrote:
    Got my modem last tuesday and my smart phone number just became active today (6 days later). I was with Digiweb DSL who cancelled my BB a day after I asked. Unfortunately the DSL light is still lit on my old modem. Anyone know how long I should expect to wait for my line to be cleared of BB and for smart's BB to be enabled?

Thanks
    digitaldr,
    If your phone number is active, the DSL light is from Smart's DSL service!
    Do you have your Smart username/ password?
    You should be good to go.
    Garfield.

Smart finally hooked us up last friday and i must say i'm in heaven, 650KBps from a ftp site. Thats 13 min to download a 570 meg file. We only asked for a 3 meg line and are paying 35 euro a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

The 6MB you have is a free upgrade all Smart customers got from 15th Dec to 15th Jan which was then extended to the 15th Feb as Smart wanted to get people hooked on the higher speeds :D.

Actually I believe it was due to Eircom not releasing any lines in December so Smart graciously gave it to their new customers in January.

Here's a link to Smart's new pricing structure

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=234

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Hi ,I am changing from eircom to smart broadband. In case I get caught with no internet connection does anyone have a dial up number i can use should this happen...thanks Glenn

Advertisement