Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Put my beliefs to one side?

Options
  • 17-01-2006 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok the story is thats i was made redundant last October, I'm married with an 18 month old and a mortgage. I've been doing freelance work (am a graphic designer) but now a permanent job has come up with a newspaper which is what i was doing for the last 5 years ...... only problem is the paper. Its called "The Voice" ( www.thevoice.ie ) and were as I respect their beliefs I actually stopped myself for a second and thought could i work for them?

Have a quick look at the site if you want, would love to know what people think about my dilema.

6th

For the record I am very open minded and judge people based on the individual, not race, gender, religon, sexual preference or anything else for that matter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I you were offered a job in "The Times" in England would you expect to agree with everthing they published?
    It's not Hustler or An Phoblact, it's a job. Your first duty is to home and family. If you don't like it there you can always use it as a stepping stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I don't think it should negate your beliefs. I didn't get into what it values too much I just saw the catchphrase "culture faith family", at least I think thats what it says.
    Looks like a cushy number to me (well done on the job btw). I'd go in with an open mind and see how it goes. Y'never know, I think you have a lot to offer personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Yeah i supose you're both right, its a job! I dont have it yet am going to chat to the editor now. I will use it as a stepping stone but you never know i could end up loving it there.

thanks

6th

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Just from a quick look it seems to be a christianity based publication ? If you don't have any moral objections to what they do, then I don't see why you shouldn't work for them. Assuming you don't see yourself as christian, and that's what your concern is about, then you might have to put up with some well intentioned conversion attempts but I think that'd be the biggest problem you face. If it doesn't work out then it's always easier to find a new job when you already have one. Best of luck whatever you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I think you shoudl place the welfare of your family first. Your priority should be them, there is nothing to prevent you finding a job which is morally more acceptable to you at a later point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

yeah I have decided to go and ring the editor, i read some articles of theres saying taht if you reject god you go to hell and that the church has the right to stand against gays etc. Its a new paper and most new papers fail after a year so i'll just use it as a stepping stone.

Your so right Stevenmu btw, you really do need a job to get a job!

6th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭RobEire

I was once offered a job working for a religion that had in the past actively persecuted members of my own (well, former) faith. I took the job. Family comes first. They have hired you because of your skills, not your beliefs (I assume) and you are not required (I expect) to subscribe to the values of their target audience.

If the job is interesting and offers the security you need at this point, I would take it. If a conflict of interest arises down the line, you can deal with it then.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As a vegetarian, I could happily work in McDonalds if my mortgage depended on it. Dont see any issue here, and I assume you'll be involved with design rather than writing copy...so Id go for it if I were you. Good luck, hope it goes well for ya.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Charming paper really:
    Although Crowley prides himself on “acknowledging difference and valuing difference”, he is clearly uncomfortable allowing Catholics the freedom to subscribe to the moral tenets of their own religion. For Crowley, homosexuals, lesbians, bi-sexuals, and transvestite are to be celebrated and accepted. But his liberal embrace stops short of accepting and celebrating a religion that teaches that homosexual acts are morally wrong.

My advice: Do some graphics layouts, take their money and laugh when it crashes and burns :D

Edit: Most of their articles do seem to be of the "Are your children safe from X!!!?" variety.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

To the OP, if you feel you can live and let live as regards what the publication produce, then go for it. You have to pay the bills. However if you feel strongly enough to voice objection about certain issues and upsetting your employer's apple cart, you might be better off staying away.
    Zillah wrote:
    Although Crowley prides himself on “acknowledging difference and valuing difference”, he is clearly uncomfortable allowing Catholics the freedom to subscribe to the moral tenets of their own religion. For Crowley, homosexuals, lesbians, bi-sexuals, and transvestite are to be celebrated and accepted. But his liberal embrace stops short of accepting and celebrating a religion that teaches that homosexual acts are morally wrong.
    The writer complains about the fact that Crowleys comments could be discrimination on grounds of religion, when the comments are directed towards a doctrine, rather than an individual.

The ironic thing is the doctrine in question is one that encourages catholics to discriminate against individuals on grounds of their sexuality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

The ironic thing is the doctrine in question is one that encourages catholics to discriminate against individuals on grounds of their sexuality.

Ah but what you fail to realise is that your stance (and indeed that of secularists) is itself a dogma: since when is truth as determined by liberals more correct than that as determined by the Catholic Church over 2000 years?

btw the Catholic Church does not view any criticism of or reservations about homosexual persons as being 'discriminatory'. This is a tactic that is often used to mislead public opinion especially in a climate of PC hysteria with certain rhetoric and words such as 'discrimination'.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

Given that you fell on hard times perhaps you should be grateful that this job was thrown in your path. It may not be ideal but as others pointed out it's not gun-running or selling drugs. If you really feel it's morally repugnant you can look for another more suitable job and leave then rather than putting yourself and family in a positiion of hardship.

In this day and age it is rare that people find a job that is fulfilling in an ego sense, never mind spiritual requirements. If you have a job that is not mind numbing and degrading be glad - as work in the post industrial world is about hard cash and there is little room for ideas such as job-satisfaction, pride in your work, providing a good services etc. There is a divide between working and private lives now (perhaps there always was), issues such as morality and spiritual beliefs are expected to be left behind when you enter the workplace, it's sad but that is the reality for most people.

Advertisement