Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catching someone who smashed your car, whats the chances?

Options
  • 17-01-2006 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Is there any hope catching someone who has made bits of your car at the week end and didnt stop to say sorry and hey claim it on my insurance.

In the little hours of Sunday morning as myself, my gf and her friend went back to the gf's car, she could see the Gardas having a look at it, and she knew straight away it had been hit.

Rear end damage, Opel Dealer quoted 3.5k for repairs.

Anyway the evidence so far is... A Red Jeep or Van (High rear end damage)...And also found he feckers head light assembly. It was a Toyota and had the shape of the old Land Cruiser, the one before the new model now. No camera's but we re heading to a near by pub to nite to see if they caught anything on camera.

So going that who thinks that we'll find the feckers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

No chance, to be honest.

MIBI claim would be best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

For 3.5K I'd be going to every place imaginable with a camera in at least a miles radius of the scene! Little hours of Sunday morning, it'll be easy to catch him on camera, whether the reg will be visible is another thing though. Especially if it may have been damaged. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Did it happen in a built up area? Near shops etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Yes it happened on a one way street in a town in Monaghan, Cars park both sides of the road and there is sufficent move for even artics to move drive on this road.

The way looks if you where to imagine it, was the Jeep was either parked the far side on the road and the driver swung out from the parking space and hit her car or the driver was driving down the one way road just hit the rear end of her car.

My gf is very carefull about where she parks and i park on this road as well on a Saturday nite too, well i believed it to be the safest place to park your car.

The insurance claim is really the only option, and she has that bit sorted anyway. Her insurance will go up 30% (210e) to 910e next year in '07 and she will lose her no claim bonus as well.

But she is hell bent on pursuing this till theres no hope left.

The thing is my gf's father and a good friend of his has connections and know alot of people who own garages and so on so they all have been notified and if anything turns up at a garage, panel beater, Toyota Dealer and so on they ll be caught straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Like cormie said I'd get onto every premises with outside security cameras in the streets around where the accident happened. At that hour of the morning he/she will surely have been caught on one of the approach streets especially around banks. If/when you do catch them, sting them for the repairs and if they won't cough up get onto the Gardai to get them done for leaving the scene of an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Go to the MIBI. There's no point in her losing her NCB over this. You pay 4% of your policy per year to the MIBI to cover you for scumbags doing **** like this.

Just after talking to the gf, her father was able to get someone to fix the car for 500e + 100e for a bumper + 50e for a rear light and respray. A few favours where called in.

Shes not claiming on the insurance now.

But she still has the quote for the repairs from the dealer, so the jackass who done this will be hit with a bill for 3.5k if hes got. just for badness for not reporting it to the Gardas. Thats why we think the driver wa drinking.

Going to check the camera's to night. Approached the pub nearby and they said to call back to night and am going to go to the credit union thats on the same street but not near the accident, but they may have got a red jeep on their system so it might be worth a look.

I still think it was a local. Going to keep an eye out.

IS there not something about MIBI that won't pay out if they can't trace who did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I went out a while ago in Maynooth with the girlfriend and she parked right outside the Garda station.
    When we came out the left wing mirror was kicked off...you could see the footprints on the car!
    How no one saw it I don't know.Surely if someone sees that they'd say something or at least walk all of twenty feet into the station and tell the Gardai?
    Apparently about five other cars got the same treatment in the same area that night too.Poor youths out trying to occupy themselves no doubt.
    So if no one is gonna put themselves through the trouble of letting the Gardai know something is happening right outside the building in order for something to be done I doubt you've any hope.
    Hate that man!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ronoc wrote:
    IS there not something about MIBI that won't pay out if they can't trace who did it?
    Actually, after looking into it, you can only claim from the MIBI if you've been injured by an untraceable vehicle.

According to their site though, you can claim off your comprehensive insurance without affecting your NCB due to an agreement with the MIBI. This again may only apply to injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

seamus wrote:
    Actually, after looking into it, you can only claim from the MIBI if you've been injured by an untraceable vehicle.

According to their site though, you can claim off your comprehensive insurance without affecting your NCB due to an agreement with the MIBI. This again may only apply to injuries.
    Whats the chances of Quinn direct being covered by this. I'm with AXA and they have the system where your policy doesn't go up but there is a claim on the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

You're lucky that you have connections in the area, the cops might help you out once they know you`re connected. Will shops and stores give you access to their CCTV though?
    Know any kids in local schools? If all the kids were out on the prowl you'd have your man (or woman of course) pretty soon.
    Good luck though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

kluivert wrote:
    Just after talking to the gf, her father was able to get someone to fix the car for 500e + 100e for a bumper + 50e for a rear light and respray. A few favours where called in.

Shes not claiming on the insurance now.

But she still has the quote for the repairs from the dealer, so the jackass who done this will be hit with a bill for 3.5k if hes got. just for badness for not reporting it to the Gardas. Thats why we think the driver wa drinking.

Going to check the camera's to night. Approached the pub nearby and they said to call back to night and am going to go to the credit union thats on the same street but not near the accident, but they may have got a red jeep on their system so it might be worth a look.

I still think it was a local. Going to keep an eye out.
    i do sympathise with ye (being the victim of an uninsured driver myself) howe and ever what you'll be doing there is caused fraud and is

a: illegal
    b: profiteering
    c: just as bad as the dude / woman who did the damage in the first place
    d: just helps to drive up the cost of insurance for everyone overall (not this one claim but everyone doing this if ye get me)

just because he did something wrong doesnt give you a license to go and flout the law as well and i feel that strongly i'd be have tempted to print and mail this thread to the gardai to be honest

I agree with you, anyway it wouldnt be done. You need an actual invoice for the repairs and an estimate would not hold up.

The rate of insurance is too high as you said.

If he was caught, he would pay for the repairs what ever they where as per the above post. 800e or so.

This would be fair.

But i still feel he should be done for leaving the sence of an accident.

No school kids about because it was 3.00am Sunday Morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

good to hear wasn't trying to be a stick in the mud or anything,

if he's caught he'll defp be charged, the guy who left the scene of my accident was caught and charged with leaving the scene of an accident as i luckily enough got his reg before he belted off in his van

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

miju wrote:
    if he's caught he'll defp be charged, the guy who left the scene of my accident was caught and charged with leaving the scene of an accident as i luckily enough got his reg before he belted off in his van

My arse, we had exactly the same problem last year where someone rear-ended the back of my fiances parked car and then decided to drive off.

Incredibly they actually left an imprint of their reg in the bumper and we had a decent couple who witnessed it call into the house too.

The Gardai couldn't have cared less, just gave us the womans number and told us they'd prefer we 'sort this kind of thing out ourselves'.

Long story short; she was a complete bitch and tried to wrangle out of it, had to call in a favour from a Gardai friend to get her to pay up. Asked local Gardai to press charges... not interested but got very uppity when i suggested that the lesson learned is if I every caused an accident with no witnesses I should just piss off home and not worry about it. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I was in a situation where I was in the city center of Dublin and some bastard in a truck side swiped my car and just drove on as if nothing happened. I followed him, took his reg, and reported it to the guards and then to my insurance company on the same day. I didnt want to stop at the scene because it would have caused a massive tailback in an already horribly congested city center. It was on the north side of the Quays.

To cut a long story short, he did €1300 damage to my car. That was the estimate to get the body back to what it was before the impact. I tried contacting the company myself using the number I took down from the side of the truck, and they didnt return my calls or listen to me. A rep helping my case from my insurance company even tried to ring them and they just blanked her too.

I asked the guards to pursue it, I even gave a statement. They didn't do much. The prik got away with it. The company responsible is Mullen Hauliers, in Kilkullen, so Gary Smullen, if you're reading this, I believe in Karma mate. What goes around comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

Bluehair wrote:
    ...The Gardai couldn't have cared less.......had to call in a favour from a Gardai friend to get her to pay up

I think the guards get very uppity too if you equate fraud with needing to have connections in the force in order to get them to do anything for you. But they get crap pay and are only promoted on a politicians nod so I guess we get what we deserve. I think you're lucky she wasn't a politician or other "garda connected" individual, even your garda friend would have been slow to act then.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

pontovic wrote:
    The prik got away with it. The company responsible is Mullen Hauliers, in Kilkullen, so Gary Smullen, if you're reading this, I believe in Karma mate. What goes around comes around.

Most likely a bad foreign driver :rolleyes: The quality of truck drivers is going down with all the foreigners .
    I was on aston quay waiting on the bus one day , and a truck driven by most likely a foreigner , took the mirror off the side of a bus clean off ,and went on his way :(

It's people like them , that really bring the name of truck drivers down , after all most are decent lad's .

Like , anyone i know who's a truck driver , is decent , and will pull in and give details etc..
    I'm not trying to make excuses for drivers , but when your driving a 40' truck , it very difficult to keep tabs on everything , but this craic of driving off, company not wanting to know is a load of bull .

Why not try a solicitor's letter ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Bluehair wrote:

The Gardai couldn't have cared less, just gave us the womans number and told us they'd prefer we 'sort this kind of thing out ourselves'.
    QUOTE]

The Gardai are not usually interested in any accident where no one has been injured or where there has been no obstruction to traffic They refer to them as "material damage RTAs" and prefer to let the parties sort it out themselves. It is standard practise not to get involved. The only exception is if the Gardai witness the accident themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Litcagral wrote:
    The Gardai are not usually interested in any accident where no one has been injured or where there has been no obstruction to traffic They refer to them as "material damage RTAs" and prefer to let the parties sort it out themselves.

Seriously? Thats remarkable and yet another one to add to the list of reasons to leave this hole of a country asap.

So if you cause an accident which causes material damage (but no injury or obstruction) and piss off from the scene then you're saying it's actually Gardai "standard practise not to get involved"?.

Amazing.... truely amazing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sadly this is Ireland! :mad:

Most likely a bad foreign driver :rolleyes: The quality of truck drivers is going down with all the foreigners .
    I was on aston quay waiting on the bus one day , and a truck driven by most likely a foreigner , took the mirror off the side of a bus clean off ,and went on his way :(

Why not try a solicitor's letter ?

I thought about writing a solicitors letter and sending it on, but my solicitor advised against it saying that there was no 'proof' as I had no witnesses, so it was his word against mine. The driver/company could have gotten a solicitors letter denying anything happened and then it would have been a stalemate situation.

He denied to the lady from my insurance company the truck was ever at the location. I asked the cops about cameras, but they said there were none around. Apparently, on the phone, your man Gary said that the driver was Polish, when asked by the lady. What driver ? I ask. There wasn't meant to be a driver in the area !

Gary wasn't driving the truck, but the fact that he is trying to dodge these claims makes me angry, and he is just as guilty as the truck driver. I keep a disposable camera in my car from now on, so I can catch these pricks on film.

I couldn't stop and call the guards to the scene immediately, because they would have found out i was driving on my own on a first provisional, and they could have taken it off me, meaning no wheels, meaning I couldn't get into work, meaning I would have had to quit my job as it would take far too long to commute by public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Bluehair wrote:
    The Gardai couldn't have cared less,:

Agreed; they really couldn't give a flying fuck (what exactly do Gardai do?). Similar story with my GF. Her parked car was hit while at work. Several witnesses got reg no. of jeep that hit her but the guard in question did absolutely nothing. She only got in contact when I wrote a letter of complaint to the local Superintendent; even with that though she came up with a load of cock and bull to avoid doing anything about it. GF eventually paid for repairs herself.
    My brother was also hit recently while parked and claimed the €1000 damage from his insurance......his insurance went up €1000 this year!

Is it the case in any other countries that the police do absolutely nothing about smash and runs ?

I mean it would only take 10 mins out of their day to chase down the people who damage a car and drive off and use a bit of their clout against them to get them to pay up etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

pontovic wrote:
    Is it the case in any other countries that the police do absolutely nothing about smash and runs ?

I mean it would only take 10 mins out of their day to chase down the people who damage a car and drive off and use a bit of their clout against them to get them to pay up etc.

While I agree that they could track them down etc. making them pay is not a matter for the Gardai . That is up to the Insurance companies and/or the courts. The reason the Gardai appear uninterested is probably because on the "my word against theirs" senario which can be an inevitable feature of such cases and they probably feel that Insurance Companies are there to deal with this.

Realistically, it's going to take much longer than ten minutes to track someone down (probably several hours) and in the meantime others will be complaining that Gardai are not out there catching "the real criminals". I know this sounds very unsympathetic but I'm afraid that's how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

But surely they've committed some kind of offence by fleeing the scene of a traffic accident? If they can at least track them down and charge them, then armed with that, getting them (or their insuranc company) to pay up should be a piece of p1ss, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I can understand the gardai letting people sort out accidents themselves but a hit and run is a crime. They should pursue these and if they dont I would bring it up with their superintendant. Too many lazy guard out there.
    A truck driver hit the side of the gf's car. We chased him for a few miles flashing and beeping the horn before he pulled over. He was a Lithuanian and pleaded not to tell his boss cos he would lose his job. He said theres not much damage done and offered €20 to fix it! The corner panel was scratched. Cheeky fúcker

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

My aunt's car got damaged by a woman pulling out of a space. There was a witness who got the reg and it was caught on camera. The woman that hit the car turned out to be a right bitch and denied everything.

Gardaí got involved and did everything they could to get the woman to pay up and she eventually did... So I suppose it depends on which one you get on the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

pontovic wrote:
    I couldn't stop and call the guards to the scene immediately, because they would have found out i was driving on my own on a first provisional

Sorry for your trouble pontovic but there is a reason why you shouldn't be driving on your own with a 1st provisional license - especially on the quays in the city centre.

Irish-Trucker - what sort of person are you ? you really believe all that ? and somebody lets you on the roads ? :mad: You probably think they're all asylum seekers getting free cars and houses yeah ?

Advertisement