Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ooh controversial!

• 17-01-2006 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Would anyone be of the opinion that gaa players get unfair treatment in schools?! I'm bloody sick of it! They rule the place! Down with hurling!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm guessing you live somewhere a mite rural

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

well yes somewhat.... it's infuriating at the best of times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Hurling? Popular in schools in Kilkenny? Scandal...

Unfair treatment how? They get free reign to beat you to a pink pulp in the shower? The teachers do their homework? Other random, slightly silly reasons?

i'm guessing your one of them!! lol well yes... such as our vice principal saying they deserved high praise for the "sacrafice" they make for the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I am from Dublin and the players were treated better than other people. Rangingfrom minor stuff like being allowed slide on homework to actually being let out of class to practice.

The thing is the players thought this great but in fact it didn't help the majority as they were all a bit thick to start with. Some got the bits and bobs where their playing gets them a job or on a comittee. Look at George Hook to see how it can work out, not saying he didn't work for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yup rural areas = GAA players who get treated like demi gods and on a Saturday night roam about in packs looking for someone not on their team to fight. It's all the testosterone and arse slapping that gets them fired up I think.

Either way who cares as long as they don't affect you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Controvertial ??? I was expecting a heated debate about abortion or something... Theres nothing controvertial about that.. Of course they get better treatment than the joe soaps.. Thats just the way life goes... I learned that a long long time ago..

:v:

Yes thats exactly what i mean! It's not like huge stuff... just small things... it's like they somehow deserve respect... all they bloody do is run around a field brandishing a piece of wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Riveta wrote:
    i'm guessing your one of them!! lol well yes... such as our vice principal saying they deserved high praise for the "sacrafice" they make for the school.

Yes SACRAFICE. Training after school in the pissin rain and cold, going home knackered and then having to do homework /study and maybe having to go training again with your club. Coming in over holidays to do training to keep sharp. Missing out on classes and having to catch up with stuff, even if it seems great getting a few classes off to go to a match it causes more grief later. The amount of times i have been out in cold and rain busting myself and then have to go back into the school to study period for 3 hours or else back to my own club for more training. Just like others have academic skills and reap the benefits of a good job down the road , hurlers/footballers have sport skills and get praise for the effort they put in, but what good is praise at the end of the day. Hurlers and footballers in Ireland get f-all rewards for the time and energy they put in or the inconveniences they suffer as a result, and that's the whole point of the amateur game, you play for the love of it and the glory but it's pretty much thankless in terms of rewards. So the next time your principal says they deserve praise for the sacrafice they make think about this, does that little bit of praise or free classes that end up causing difficulty in their academic life make up for all the hardship? Nope!!

This isn't an education issue or a junior cert only issue so why was it moved here from after hours. Mods gone mental in after hours again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Its the same in our school except with basketball players they always leave for matches in the middle of the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

All sports are treated equal in my school it's never been an issue that anyone be treated differently. It's the drama club that my teachers hate, all sport people get out for matches but we never get out to practise the day of our huge plays! But hey I'm a sport person too so I don't mind! Now the hockey people are treated as royalty in the students eyes in my school, hockey is kinda a sacred sport in our school I love it!The gaa people arent really recognised! Were not very mean about anybody and don't try to be treated differently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The basketball teams in my school get to leave school early and all for matches, but I wouldn't consider it special treatment. It's just... leaving early in order to get to the match in time, is all. You get the good with the bad.
    It's not so bad that they get off with their homework, though.

The choir get classes off to rehearse and all, but like, we have to come in early on a MONDAY MORNING to rehearse as well, so I think it's just that we get to miss class now and again...

Not really relevant to the Junior Cert, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Personally, I was jealous of the people with broken arms / legs / other body parts who didn't have to do homework.

Sometimes, nerds/geeks need a bit of TLC too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Our school rugby players on Junior and Senior teams reign supreme

Mmmm rugby players! Yeah they kinda reign my entire town,them rugby jocks! But sorry I have a weak spot for rugby players!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Aye. I don't mind is players have to leave for something as the runners do, when needed and so to the actors (in fact, the get a full day off to rest after the play). Actually there's never been a time when the rugby players have left early. I have come across some preferential treatment and allowances for the rugby players though, which is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Course the teachers love them they think they crap golden eggs they cherish the ground they walk on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Yeah, detention is got off with the excuse "but miss, I'm a rugby player!" Yet no one goes to the senior girls hockey final...But sure, it's not harming anyone really. Like someone said, they work hard, and in the case of my schools team, they don't even win. Ever. So they need all they can get.

My senior hockey team were playing their final yesterday! We all got off class and it was amazing but it was a draw! The replay is on Saturday! I can't wait!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

UP WITH HURLING!thats all i can say

"But miss i hurt my hand!" "Ok ok,catch up with the work"

Me hole!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

deisedevil wrote:
    Yes SACRAFICE. Training after school in the pissin rain and cold, going home knackered and then having to do homework /study and maybe having to go training again with your club. Coming in over holidays to do training to keep sharp. Missing out on classes and having to catch up with stuff, even if it seems great getting a few classes off to go to a match it causes more grief later. The amount of times i have been out in cold and rain busting myself and then have to go back into the school to study period for 3 hours or else back to my own club for more training. Just like others have academic skills and reap the benefits of a good job down the road , hurlers/footballers have sport skills and get praise for the effort they put in, but what good is praise at the end of the day. Hurlers and footballers in Ireland get f-all rewards for the time and energy they put in or the inconveniences they suffer as a result, and that's the whole point of the amateur game, you play for the love of it and the glory but it's pretty much thankless in terms of rewards. So the next time your principal says they deserve praise for the sacrafice they make think about this, does that little bit of praise or free classes that end up causing difficulty in their academic life make up for all the hardship? Nope!!

This isn't an education issue or a junior cert only issue so why was it moved here from after hours. Mods gone mental in after hours again!

Is it wrong that I read that in my head as a thick country accent?

Hockey players get preferential treatment by the PE teachers in my school. It doesn't matter if they don't have the correct PE uniform with them, but for anyone else they get in trouble :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Piste wrote:
    Is it wrong that I read that in my head as a thick country accent?

I did the same think except I think I heard a Cork accent insted of a normal culchie one
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

And it's clearly Waterford.:rolleyes:
    Apart from getting off class to play, players don't get any extra attention.

I did more a Laois accent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

There's a Laois accent now?

Anyway.
    Back on topic.
    It doesn't matter what accent that passage was said in.
    (Though, tbh, I imagined it in a weak Dublin accent, as I imagine most things)

The senior hockey team from my school have their final tomorrow and have been missing school all week for it, most of them have their jc or leaving mocks in 3 days,so thats a bit unfair and they are all annoyed about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭hollyhamill

yeah i get what you mean bout some of this stuff but are you people who dont play gaa expecting to get respect for NOT playing?
    we are busting our asses off in the cold and we have to catch up on all the work we miss . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

In our school, seeing that its all girls, the basketball team are the favourites, big announcements about how brilliant they are, also camogie. Choir takes up more time, a painfully ucky teacher and we get no praise at all. Gee, thanks Miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

And its your choice to bust your ass playing, you can't really complain..

• Advertisement
Advertisement