Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do PSP's get robbed on public transport?

• 17-01-2006 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

I just got myself a PSP to use when commuting to my new job (T minus 18 working days). Just wondering how often people get mugged on trains / busses / luas when happily playing away?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

What's the bus route? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Haha. It was more a generic question. I'll mostly be on the train between Skerries and the city centre, so that's pretty safe. I just meant "how much of a knacker magnet is the ol' PSP?". Are we talking "worse than white headphones"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

I've played both my DS and PSP on the dart between bray and clontarf almost constantly for a few months: no knacker magnetting yet... although some might say I'm probably a bit scary-looking ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

like any personal electronic device (mobile, PDA etc..), just be very wary of the surroundings you're using it.
    I'd advise not using it on the platform while waiting for the train (or at a bus stop), as any opportunist could swipe it from you and make a nice getaway... a moving train tends to be safer.
    If you're late coming home, it mightn't be such a good idea taking it out if there's a bunch of messers sitting beside ya.
    Just use your common sense really.

Happy playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The bus routes i regurly take drive me through ballymun, darndale, coolock,artane,santry,town and im nvr afriad to take my psp out.

But then I'm on of the smad boys down the back of the bus, and if anyone touches me psps there getting the logitech case in the head and a good ol hiding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

common etiquette comes into play, no matter what route. if you really want to play, sit downstairs. if you can't sit downstairs, sit as far to the front upstairs as you can. and if the bus is full the scummers may leave you alone.

also: use earphones :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I use mine most days and never had a problem. Only place I've been afraid to use it was London underground when I was over there last.

As people say just use your cop and and you'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 markmcie

If you have the wrist strap use it. Will make it harder for anyone to grab it and run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've been playing my GBA/GBA SP/DS on public transport for nearly 4 years now, and all I'd say is to be sensible. If you've got a pikeytastic bus route like the 77, then don't take it out, of course. Though I've been playing on the 49 for all that time, and the only person who's ever commented on it was a Chinese guy sitting behind me who wanted to play multiplayer when he noticed I was playing Mario Kart DS. He got owned :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I've been playing my GBA/GBA SP/DS on public transport for nearly 4 years now, and all I'd say is to be sensible. If you've got a pikeytastic bus route like the 77, then don't take it out, of course. Though I've been playing on the 49 for all that time, and the only person who's ever commented on it was a Chinese guy sitting behind me who wanted to play multiplayer when he noticed I was playing Mario Kart DS. He got owned :)

lol !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

On the dart with my psp and i've had a few people wanting to look at it. even let a young junkie play it for a while as he was advising me that he wouldn't let children use one in public as he'd reckon it would be the perfect item for junkies to steal...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I've been commuting for the past 4 years now and always some kind of electonic entertainment gimmick and I've never had any trouble, it's probably due to the fact that I'm almost always on really busy trains or really empty trains, never in between. I've had quite a few people come up to play ds games with me though, I'll never forget playing meteos on the train against 3 other people all in different areas of the same carriage. Anyone who didn't know what we were doing probably thought the occasional loud squeals and barks were part of some electrical wireless orgy.....

Anyone who didn't know what we were doing probably thought the occasional loud squeals and barks were part of some electrical wireless orgy.....

HAHAHA.

That was another thing I was wondering about....how often a bit of multiplayer goodness happens. Is the range on the PSP good enough to play against some random punter in the next carriage (assuming you have the same game)?

I think that would be class. Though I actually mostly intend using the psp for watching tv shows that I've recorded and / or reading / listening to music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Tomorrow shall we say, a bit of GTA on the DART, southbound from town at around 2 ish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

lol

always hoped i'd find some randomer on the bus some day hosting a game...

qz wrote:
    Tomorrow shall we say, a bit of GTA on the DART, southbound from town at around 2 ish?

Haha. Not a bad idea though. Set up a list of regular commuters, what games they have and what times they'll be on the bus / train. Could be a winner. If nobody's done it by the time I start on the train (t-minus 16 working days) I'll do it myself. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I got asked by some lad for a pro evo match on the bus, i was a bit skeptical cause he was a bit of a townie with his mates eyeing my pocket up....

Advertisement