Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great cover of Metallica's Orion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

the covers are good but they have so great oringnals too,, every1 go see them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Excellent, I loved seeing them so much, they put on such a clas show. The version of one with the violin and singing...wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Indeedy, they played here in DCU before Christmas and put on a great show. Defintely gona go see them again when they come back on their own...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

When will they be playing in Dublin next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

feb 19th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

feb 19th

i'll be in barcelona, OLÉ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I saw them in DCU also, they really are fantastic live. I'm glad I got to see them on the cheap, as I missed an opportunity to see them for a tenner years and years ago, playing a small gig in the next town over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Anyone heard any of the new stuff yet? Its absolutely fantastic heard a song on tom dunne's show the other night. They're just soooo cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

oooooold news! heard that ages ago, but yes, its fantastic! interested in hearing their cover of Stairway also, might get le new album when it comes out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

wer r they playing on feb 19th, have a compilation of theirs, tis so cool, amazing stuff!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Amazing people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

They playin the Olympia. Cant wait for it. Saw them in UL before and they were great. Oh yeah the gig on the 19th is sold out but they playin there again on the 2nd of April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

RyG are real cool but i think theyre a bit like 'Lemon', the pancake place you used to go to have a quick bite and enjoy the company of friends but now its over crowded and everyones got diabetes, i love RyG but how the hell can two spanish guitarists get so damn popular?.

Answer:Because its cool to like them.

btw, lemon is a pancake shop in Dublin and now has two stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

sorry for my outburst:o

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

That is a quite excellent version of Orion, I have to say. Thumbs up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Jaggy Snake

Woefully overrated. As has been mentioned, their popularity has a lot to do with them being trendy.

They're two above average buskers, elevated to hero status because they write uninspiring flamenco guitar borefests, whack their instruments percussively and then lash into a few Metallica covers. Oh yah mon, Rodrigo y Gabriela are focking deadly, I'm taoowtally into that whole Spanish guitar thing, it makes me feel so cosmopolitan, yah? I mean loike Gabriela is a fockin lash loike, you'd so towtally do her, and she's DEADLY at guitar. She plays it and then loike, ****in' hits it loike she's playin the drums or something! Mad **** dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

heh and all I thought was - "what a good cover of Orion" - especially since I have never seen or heard them play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Woefully overrated. As has been mentioned, their popularity has a lot to do with them being trendy.

They're two above average buskers, elevated to hero status because they write uninspiring flamenco guitar borefests, whack their instruments percussively and then lash into a few Metallica covers. Oh yah mon, Rodrigo y Gabriela are focking deadly, I'm taoowtally into that whole Spanish guitar thing, it makes me feel so cosmopolitan, yah? I mean loike Gabriela is a fockin lash loike, you'd so towtally do her, and she's DEADLY at guitar. She plays it and then loike, ****in' hits it loike she's playin the drums or something! Mad **** dude!

Yeah, it's all to do with being trendy, which is why we're in the "rock/metal" forum, which is so popular in today's culture. I mean, when was the last time you saw the charts without Steve Vai or Tommy Emmanuel in them? It's all about listening to it to be popular. Nothing to do with talent at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It was deadly at the Olympia! Although most of the points criticisin them are more to the point, i stll like them!
    Oh yah mon, Rodrigo y Gabriela are focking deadly, I'm taoowtally into that whole Spanish guitar thing, it makes me feel so cosmopolitan, yah? I mean loike Gabriela is a fockin lash loike, you'd so towtally do her, and she's DEADLY at guitar. She plays it and then loike, ****in' hits it loike she's playin the drums or something! Mad **** dude!

Way too many of these people at the gig who had no idea what was goin on. They didnt even recognise Stairway to Heaven! They didnt appreciate what was happening there. They more just wanted to say they were at it to appeared cultured. Bad attempt if they didnt recoginise Stairway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Its nothing to do with recognition. You can appreciate music without being able to recognise the riffs of Stairway to Heaven.

Personally, I thought they were pretty damn good when I saw them in Letterkenny, they're both excellent guitarists and they never make pretences that they're any more than that.

The reason they're popular/trendy is simple - they've sold themselves very hard in this country in the past few months - they've been touring incessently, they put themselves on the radio, they busk on the street, they give away their music for free on the internet and generally have worked very hard to create a buzz around themselves. And the fact they're number one on the album chart this week indiactes that it's been pretty successful

• Advertisement
Advertisement