Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

a bit of a digression - apologies! - but does that mean clinical psychologists provide a similar service (broadly speaking) to psychotherapists? obviously there are differences, but they both provide a therapy/counselling type service so to speak? im quite confused, so sorry if i've got the wrong idea! :)

I could be wrong here and hence I'm open to correction, my understanding is the therapy supplied by psychologists would be much more limited, in relation to the amount of time given. In addition, psychologists perform other functions than just therapy. I be interested in what others think but maybe it needs a new thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Brian33

Hey all,

Sorry to be back-tracking...but with the whole IRL postgrad versus UK postgrad thing...the conversion courses in the UK seem to be one-year long courses, whereas the HDips in Ireland are all two-year courses. Does anyone know if completing a BPS accredited UK conversion course will get you graduate membership with the PSI? Are UK conversion courses as respected in Ireland as Irish ones? I've tried contacting the PSI about this, but their answer has been "Get a postgrad qualification in the UK and THEN we'll audit it to see if it's worthy of the PSI". That's not quite the response I was looking for ofcourse...

Thanks for any help ya's can provide,
    ~Brian

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 NorthenQueen

I did the Psychology degree in UCD a (finished four years ago). It was a great course. It was quite applied, which is good, with a day of labs once a week. It had a good mixture of ages too as there is a 2 year hdip course for mature students, so its a good place to go if you are going back to college as a mature student.
    The only drawback with psychology is that it takes a long time to do anything "psychological" with it and it requires postgrad studies in order to get work/
    It will help you in what ever you do though as it teachs problem solving and I think thats its strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 princess27

Just to let you guys know that i would not recommend the Diploma in Psychology in DBS. Lecturers there are very unprofessional. In fact would not do any other course there after experiencing the year there! I did my degree a few years back in a recognised college and there is a huge difference between recognised colleges and the likes of DBS! I was lucky that work paid for my fees in DBS but if it had been my own money i would have dropped out earlier on. I mean the lecturer read out of notes from day one and didn't seem to have much of his own research or passion for the subject.I have a big interest in Psychology however and looking into the Counselling course in NUI Maynooth part time certificate which seems pretty interesting.Has anyone done the cert in Counselling in Maynooth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Hi eclectichoney,

It is confusing, even for people in the field, to say exactly what the difference between a clinical psychologist/counselling psychologist/psychotherapist actually is.

Psychotherapy is a term that describes one activity that many different professionals engage in. I am a bit reluctant to get into precise definitions because I will almost certainly cause outrage to someone (there's a reason why, at a BPS meeting a few years ago, a suggestion was made that a "disagreement of psychologists" be adopted as the collective noun :D ).

Caveats aside, there is a lot of overlap between the activities of people involved in these professions. The difficulty is that there is not a single pathway into becoming a mental health professional, nor is there a single accepted way of doing psychotherapy or of practicing as a psychologist, whether clinical or counselling.

Most clinical psychologists would subscribe to the idea that they are "scientist-practitioners". This means that, while they use the scientific method and use a scientific evidence-base in developing their theoretical models, they also acknowledge that the implementation of this knowledge base in a therapeutically valid way can only be achieved in the context of a strong and effective therapeutic relationship. In other words, clinical psychology may aspire to being a science, but in practice it is also an art. Clinical psychologists engage in a lot of activities, including research, therapy, education, training, assessment of function and designing and implementing programmes for therapeutic change. Probably the key skill that they make use of is called formulation (do a google on clin psych and formulation if you want an explanation)

This answer is going to get too long if I don't watch it, but one way of thinking about the differences beween the fields is to consider how the various professions work in Ireland or the UK. Before anyone disagrees with me, I should preface this by saying that there are no hard and fast rules, only general tendencies. In general then, Clinical psychologists tend to work with more seriously disturbed populations and are more likely trained in psychometric assessment and projective assessment. Counselling psychology graduates work with healthier, less pathological populations and conduct more career and vocational assessment (Brems & Johnson, 1997; Fitzgerald & Osipow, 1986; Watkins, Lopez, Campbell, & Himmell, 1986).

Obviously this is not a rule, only a general tendency. In reality, there is a lot of overlap.

Psychotherapists are people who work therapeutically with clients but dont necessarily have a background in scientific psychology, though most do. MAny clincial/counselling psychologists do post-doctoral training in psychotherapy. However, psychotherapy takes many forms and uses many different theoretical models. I think I read in an article a couple of years ago that the APA (american psychological association) had identified over 300 distinct types of psychotherapy models in the literature.

One of the oldest forms of psychotherapy is psychoanalysis. I don't incorporate this into my practice, so you could see if someone else who does so could explain this approach to you. Although psychoanalysis claims that it is very effective, its outcomes are difficult if not impossible to measure. As a result, it has fallen out of favour in recent decades because of the need to show 'results' and due to the economics of mental health. Psychoanalysis can take place over a number of years and insurance companies and the like who pay for it all have tended to have a preference for CBT or other, less time-consuming therapies like brief solution-focused therapy or systemic models of therapy. Psychodynamic psychotherapy is also another popular approach and ther are countless others.

Most good therapists will adjust the way they work and the theoretical models they use to fit the needs of their clients. For example, some clients might be very introspective and capable of pursuing therapeutic change by means of an insight-based approach, whereas others might be less inclined to engage in deep thought and might respond better to a behavioural intervention. Other people have difficulties that appear to be most effectively resolved using a systemic method (where you 'treat' the whole family/group). A good example here is Anorexia, which seems to respond best to family (systemic) therapy.

I have already gone on too long and have probabaly raised the hackles of a number of people - apologies for any errors/misrepresentations in the above :o . Essentially though, from a career point of view, it all underlines the point that there is more than one way to get into the mental health and therapy professions. The best book I have come across on the topic is called "What is Clinical Psychology?" by John Marzillier and John Hall, which should be available in good bookshops or on amazon. I think its pretty old by now, but there may be an updated version. Start by reading that, then get an introductory textbook to psychology (they are all pretty similar)

This article also has a bit more info on the differences.

And here's another one that explains in detail what clin psychs do

Hope that's helpful.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SusieC

LundiMardi wrote:
    Here's the jist of the diploma...
    Hi, This one year course looks like something I would definitely like to do but I wonder where is the course given?
    It has been great to read the comments here, I am a total novice when it comes to message boards having never posted before.
    Could you please let me know where the course is run? There isn't alot of choice to do a degree in psychology in the evening in Dublin is there?
    Thanks very much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Hi SusieC
    I've had a look back through this thread and couldn't find it saying anywhere which course LundiMardi was talking about specifically. I'll send a message and hopefully they'll either reply into this thread or else if they reply to me I can add it in here (or I may get no response :)).

For what it's worth, the post by LundiMardi was back at the start of this year, so depending on the admission system you may not need to rush (though it's possible they'd have more than one intake per year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Ok, I've sent the PM to LundiMardi and then found the info on the web straight after that - seems the course being referred to is run by Dublin Business School:

http://www.web.dbs.edu/about/webpage_content.asp?WebPageContent_id=815

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Idioteque

p.pete wrote:
    Ok, I've sent the PM to LundiMardi and then found the info on the web straight after that - seems the course being referred to is run by Dublin Business School:

Hi SusieC,

I was looking at doing that eveing course last Year with DBS. I went along to the open day and have to say I was very un-impressed with the set up. Not only was the open day badly run. When I met with one of the Psychology Lecturers, she seemed completely unintrested even when speaking about her own modules. Personally, that was enough to put me off but I also came across some other posts where people mentioned it wasn't the best course either.
    I'm hoping to start a full time Psychology degree next year in UCD and want something related to study in the meantime i.e starting this Sept.
    I'd reccomend getting the 'evening courses' booklet that's published normally in the next week or so (it may even be out already) and having a look at other colleges that do psychology courses.
    Again, I haven't done the DBS course but from that open day and a bit of research I was put off doing it.

Hope that helps!

p.pete wrote:
    Hi SusieC
    I've had a look back through this thread and couldn't find it saying anywhere which course LundiMardi was talking about specifically. I'll send a message and hopefully they'll either reply into this thread or else if they reply to me I can add it in here (or I may get no response :)).

For what it's worth, the post by LundiMardi was back at the start of this year, so depending on the admission system you may not need to rush (though it's possible they'd have more than one intake per year).

Hi, Thanks a mill for this. Found out this course was for DBS. Thanks alot
    for the help;)

• Advertisement

Thanks for this, it always helps to know whether the course is quality or not.
    It is definitely important to me to meet teachers who are interested! and who enjoy their job...! I have heard alot now about DBS which makes me wonder about their standards.
    It is great to get feedback this way, thanks alot....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I have a quick question about going down the Oscail route. Can you actually have the degree awarded by TCD and get the use of their library while you study?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Jelmpsych

I would very much recommend visiting the either the PSI, or BPS website's to insure the course that interests you carries GBR (Graduate basis for recognition). Without it you'll have to start all over again. Not all courses carry the same status. Good luck, Jelmpsych.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Jelmpsych

There was a clerical error last year whereby a few oscail students applied to the psi, and in error they were admitted. since then I was told that someone in oscail have been claiming their course wasd recognised. To date i'm sad to say it isn't. Therefore, if planning to become a psychologist, you will have to do a conversion course before you can gain professional status. Good luck, jelmpsych.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tingo

To put a different slant on the question, where is a good place to study Psychology? :D

I've looked at UCD's and Trinity's websites, but there's only so much a dry list can tell you like how DBS could look decent but apparently the Professors are uninterested so obviously it wouldn't be great place to study.:eek:

It's a bit too basic to ask which college has the best course, but for people who have studied it, how did you find the classes and lecturers? The two lists looked similiar, and the points appear equal, so are the courses basically the same in Trinity and UCD?

Maynooth does Psychology too, right? I thought I finally decided what I would like to do in college, but more things to consider. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

TCD, UCD and Maynooth all are great degrees. Each of the universities offer similar courses, all the same basics are covered but the emphasis on some of the more advanced areas depend on the lecturers in the particular departments. Basically once the course is accredited by the Psychological Society of Ireland it means that the degree is of a certain standard that will allow you to go on and do further study/work in psychology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MonaLisa

Hi All,
    I have read the threads, I have to say they were all very informative and interesting.

I am looking for a part time Diploma Course in Psychology. I have a H:2:1 in Computer Science (from DCU) And I have plenty of science back ground Physics/Chemistry/ Biology ... (as I had originally wanted to do medicine but sadly ended up with only 475 points)

I am not planning to pursue a future career in this field (as I am Already working) but I am interested in the subject and would like study the subject.

If DBS is not the recommended college in Ireland to do this course, then can anyone recommend a place (in Dublin if possible) where I can do this on a part time basis.

Many thanks for your help, :rolleyes:
    Mona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

MonaLisa wrote:
    (as I had originally wanted to do medicine but sadly ended up with only 475 points)

Only 475!!!!!!!! That was bleedin brilliant! It's a pity that the points for medicine don't reflect the difficulty of the course (which is very difficult) but someone with your points would have done great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MonaLisa

Valmont wrote:
    Only 475!!!!!!!! That was bleedin brilliant! It's a pity that the points for medicine don't reflect the difficulty of the course (which is very difficult) but someone with your points would have done great.

Thank you darling ..
    You know if I was a bit younger I would have gone back and repeated the Leaving cert again ...
    But ... no point thinking of that any more...

so anyone with advice for part time Psychology school??
    Monalisa

Advertisement