Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a Projector for TV

• 17-01-2006 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting a projector for watching TV and DVDs. What should I look for in a new projector?
    Sorry if these are stoopid Qs- can the projector connect directly to the Sky digibox or does it have to go through a PC? I have a dvd player with 5.1 - how does that connect in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I use a panasonic AE500 for watching TV. It has a Scart socket which handles RGB (which is important if you're connecting to a Sky digibox). The new AE900 still has a SCART, along with component and HDMI. You may be able to pick up a cheap AE700 also. Having the SCART also means that the PJ will switch between 4:3 and 16:9 as the Sky channels change.

Obviously you'll need a surround sound amp and speakers, as the PJ has no sound capability. I use an optical cable from my Sky+ box, but you can use the analog outs , which you may need to get at using a SCART adaptor.

The only thing to consider is that these PJs really need good dark rooms, It won't be watchable with the curtains open on a summer day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

You can connect the digibox by scart or s-video if it's a Sky+ box. DVD connects the same way.

You should make sure the projector is HD Ready, has a resolution of at least 1280*720 and a HDMI input.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=311224&cks=SPK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

pH wrote:
    The only thing to consider is that these PJs really need good dark rooms, It won't be watchable with the curtains open on a summer day.

A very good point!

Unless you are looking to continously watch the TV in a dark room, its not exactly a long term option using the projector as a TV. Remember, in the summertime - your room won't get dark till 8,9,10 oclock at night. Either that or would will need to have the curtain constantly closed.

The business for DVD's though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

You can connect the digibox by scart or s-video if it's a Sky+ box. DVD connects the same way.
    But he doesn't mention he has Sky+ so for a normal digibox being blown up to PJ size he needs the best quality picture, so going for RGB over composite is a necessity in my opinion.

Also using s-video will lose the Widescreen switching which is also very handy when watching Sky. To me, if you're going to use a Sky digibox you'd be mad to by a PJ that couldn't handle RGB over SCART.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I have an AE100 and I'm currently thinking of buying an AE900, I might be interested in selling my AE100 if your interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Moorsie

.... do your homework.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43

I spent days on this site about 8 months ago before buying the BenQ PE7700. The Sanyo Z4 and Panasonic AE900 seem to have surpassed it though.

From my own experience

1) Sky & DVDs easy to link up. Bought a Samasung HD850 for about 120 euro from pixmania and it is connected via HDMI. The Sky box is connected via S-Video. Not ideal but will probably get the HD Sky Box when it arrives and connect via HDMI also.

2) If you have a room that can take it, I would recommend you keep your old TV too and connect Sky to both the new TV and the Projector. You won't want to watch the news on a projector. Great for films and live sport though.

3) You'll need a screen and a mount. Goes without saying but factor this into the cost.

4) Buy abroad. Got mine from www.projectorpoint.co.uk .They did a deal on a screen, mount and projector. Prices here are crazy. Make sure the warranty covers Ireland though. Had some trouble with mine. The manufacturer collected here and replaced it. No questions asked.

5) Cabling. Figure out how you are going to tackle all those cables. I had to get a long HDMI and S-Video cables abroad ( via ebay ). Next to do a neat job you need to punch holes in walls and fill with plaster.

6) Where are you going to mount the projector. We took down the main light fitting and put in spots. More expense.

7) Was it worth it. I think so, picture and experience from DVD is exceptional, but I have this feeling that you will be able to get 80" LCD screens in a year or two that will be reasonable enough in cost. Projectors still don't like ambient light but are superior to what has gone before.

My twopence worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Good replies thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just to add my 2c:

Lamp hours - are you aware lamps have a certain hour rating (anything from 1000-2000). They are arount 200-300 Euro to replace.

I would suggest that projectors are not the best for purely watching TV, for the various reasons above. I use mine more as a "treat" at the weekend to watch a film, along with using it for the PC (using it as I type this).

I would also question the need for a screen - yes, if you are big into films and are willing to spend the money, but give it some thought. I have my projector in the garage conversion, so the room is longer and narrower, with the windows at the opposite end of the room. I am fortunate it is dark enough to be able to view the picture in daylight (I have a cheapey Infocus X2). I even have the wall painted brown (wasn't thinking ahead at the time), but it does the job. You may want to start off with a white/cream wall and see what you think.

As for connecting to Sky digibox - I have mine in the sitting room and use a wireless digisender to send the picture to the projector. I got it in Argos and it also handles the remote control signal so I can change Sky from the garage conversion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

irish1 wrote:
    I have an AE100 and I'm currently thinking of buying an AE900, I might be interested in selling my AE100 if your interested.

How much would you be selling this for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Thanks for the enquiry but I've decided to keep it for a while longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

KC66,

Moorsie gave good avices
    Keep your tv for soaps, news

A good site to start with
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/buyers4.htm

I use the 3M MP7750 LCD projector

DVD plugged through a 9ft component cable bought in Maplin

digibox (not sky+) plugged through a scart -> composite adapter. This can only output RGB but the quality is fine. Watched Chelsea-Everton match yesterday and it's fine

gaming is amazing on it as well.

I project on a cream wall and it's fine.

My advice:

- watch for the noise level (can be annoying during quiet sequence)
    - brightness (this one is 1800 lumens and I can watch Red Hot Chilli Peppers concert in broad day light with curtains opened doing my ironing)
    - lamp duration (They're expensive, that's why you don't want to use it for watching TV all the time. This would be wasting it)

My next projector will the the Infocus SP5700 but I won't buy it in Ireland. Too expensive

Cheers

Advertisement