Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carry Sky over Chorus cables

Options
  • 17-01-2006 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm subscribed to Sky but want to set up a (limited) version of multi room without subscribing for a second Sky viewing card.

I moved house recently and brought my old Sky box with me, subscribed to Sky again as a new customer and got another box under their free installation.

I want to set up my spare Sky box in another room and want to know if I can carry the Sky signal from the dish across the Chorus (or NTL) cables that my new house has been precabled with.

I understand that not having a second viewing card will limit me to free-to-air channels on the spare box but I'm fine with that.

Any ideas if I can run the Sky signal from my Dish to my Chorus cables (by connecting to the Chorus connections at the side of my house) and from the Chorus outputs to the Sky boxes?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Hey Clum

This may be better in the satellite forum, the guys there know their stuff.

That said my rekoning is that you possibly could do this.
    You will need a quad LNB on the dish, 1 feed direct to the original box.
    Your 2nd feed could be run to the junction point on at the side of the house, where you connect to an internal cable, however the internal cable will need to be of a high enough standard to carry your signal to your 2nd decoder.

You will also need to make sure the internal cable from the side of the house runs directly to the room in question you want to put the 2nd decoder. Sometimes electricians loop from room to room thus meaning more jointing of cables to get the signal to your intended room ( also meaning more chance of loss of signal).

Hope this helps

Chef

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Thanks Chef.

I'll have to double check if the electicians looped from room to room, although I do think it's direct cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

and if its not direct cabling make sure that there are no ends open that can touch, this includes tv wall outlets, you dont want somebody plugging a tv aerial into it if your using the cable for sat signals.
    Ie the inner core of the Co-Ax to the outer core, as you will do your LNB some damage.
    Its best all round to have a direct cable from the dish to the STB.

Advertisement