Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Build problems

Options
  • 17-01-2006 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi all,

Recently got a lot of work done in my house (refurb, extension etc..). The builder has been good in fixing problems so far (small leak in roof etc..). A couple of problems he refuses to accept are his fault though. The first is the immersion switch wont heat up the tank, it did before the build. His excuse is "it packed in". The second is that the water pressure is much lower on the sink tap than before. He claims that the mains is connected directly to the tap at the sink and that "its the councils fault". The pressure is really low.

Am I being taken for a ride here or could he have a point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can expect some problems after construction. To expect no problems would be naive.

Have an independent plumber look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Is there a filter on the tap?.

If the water is turned off at the mains and the taps have been ran dry then its turned back on (and if your pipe are a little dirty) this may push the dirt to the front of the tap and blocks the filter.

Just one think to check

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Victor, I am not saying there should not be ANY problems. If you read what I am saying it is that the builder refuses to accept liability for some of what seem like reasonable problems and I am asking the good board members if in their opinion the builder is taking the piss or not.

Simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maybe, genuinely, (he believes) they aren't his fault.

Getting a plumber to look at it will (a) solve them problem (b) determine who is responsible, much better than an internet board.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi all,

The second is that the water pressure is much lower on the sink tap than before. He claims that the mains is connected directly to the tap at the sink and that "its the councils fault". The pressure is really low.

Am I being taken for a ride here or could he have a point?

If you now have water pressure problems, where there were none before, it seems that some work the builder has done, has had a negative impact some where. I would be of the opinion that the builder should find out where the problem is.

If you had good pressure before work commenced, the direct connect at the sink, should be the strongest flow , I would have thought.

I dont agree that you should expect to have some problems, after paying for a reasonable job to be done. Surely there should be some onus on the builder to deal with issues that are present now, that were not there before.

kadman

• Advertisement
Advertisement