Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Can this happen to texts?

• 17-01-2006 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

I was expecting an important text off somebody yesterday (yeah ok it was off a girl..). In a low signal basement type area. So I switched my phone on and off to get a signal cos it was about the time I was expecting the text. I got a text then my signal went again. The text was off an "nfc-mms" or something similar, no number anyway. Then it was just a line and a half of gobbledeegook. Also it was dated Jan 2nd. Could this have been her text coming through but getting scrambled in some way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

perhaps it was an old text only coming through now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes it happens. You get a body of text similar to €&$£ etc etc with other randoms symbols a keyboard cannot input.

It happens very, very rarely - I sent a hundred or so messages a day and it happpens to me once a month if even.

Pity it happened on the one time you really didn't want it to happen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Shrimp wrote:
    perhaps it was an old text only coming through now?
    Perhaps.. but considering everything else was utterly scrambled on it could the date not have been too?

Yes it happens. You get a body of text similar to €&$£ etc etc with other randoms symbols a keyboard cannot input.

It happens very, very rarely - I sent a hundred or so messages a day and it happpens to me once a month if even.

Pity it happened on the one time you really didn't want it to happen :D
    Really!.. Yeah it was a bunch of &/^€£# etc. Ok this changes my outlook on it (basically whether I call/text her back or not). Hmmm yes, damn pity you're right. It's never happened to me before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

My guess would be that its a notification for an mms that isn't compatable with your handset.
    What type of phone do you have?

• Advertisement

MiCr0 wrote:
    My guess would be that its a notification for an mms that isn't compatable with your handset.
    What type of phone do you have?
    K700i. It's been set up for mms since the day after I got it in november some time. When I'm recieving/sending an mms (which I do all the time) the little web/gprs thing comes up and it takes a while. This was recieved like a text message though, in sms format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Moral of the story ... never send anything important by text! Though it is rare that you only "half" get a text unless it's a multi-part message. Generally, it arrives, doesn't arrives or arrives hours later. Whatever happens the network will state tough luck as they say that will not guarantee delivery of any SMS.

Advertisement