Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

networking question

Options
  • 17-01-2006 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

at the moment i have bb with eircom. I have a netopia modem that is connected into a 4 port wireless 3 com gateway. I have 4 pcs connected to that and the are networked share files and have internet access. I now need to add another computer - possibly 2, there is no space in the the 3 come dls gateway. How can i best achieve this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

Wireless. Any other way you will have to buy a new router. You could try putting extra NICs into a connected one, and then try Connection Sharing, but that would be very messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dusty14

thanks for your reply - do you mean i'll have to swap the 4 port 3 com dsl gateway i have - or can i just buy a small hub of some sort and connect to that. Would that work. Can you suggest what i should buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Any small switch or hub should do the trick by plugging into the wireless access point. Probably a lot better off getting a switch though... a basic 8-port should be less than 60euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dusty14

ok can you suggest a switch ?- will this replce my 3 com box or do i still use this. At the moment the 3com give out ip address to my other pcs - how will this work with the new switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

dusty14 wrote:
    ok can you suggest a switch ?- will this replce my 3 com box or do i still use this. At the moment the 3com give out ip address to my other pcs - how will this work with the new switch

a switch won't intefere with the 3com wireless router at all.. if you connect a switch directly to one of the ports on it, any pcs then connected to that switch will still be able to receive new IP addresses (by a process called DHCP)... as I said ANY cheap switch will do the job, theres no need to buy anything specific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

dusty14 wrote:

Komplett have some:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10278

And try http://www.marxcomputers.ie/ for a 8 port switch. I think you can get one for 25 euro - I got mine last year from them and it still working fine

No config needed.
    PLug LAN cable from Netopia router into Switch.
    Connect all other pcs into the remaining 7 ports on the switch.

Quazzy

Advertisement