Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saab Viggen~~~have A Look

Options
  • 17-01-2006 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Does any one own a viggen:cool:
    what a car. pls see pictures....ADs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

whats the heck is a 'vigen'??? 1st time i ever heard that name anyway.

-i assume its a CLK AMG55 , M3 , S4 equivalent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dead

My friends mom owns one and there a great car really safe too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

C_Breeze wrote:
    whats the heck is a 'vigen'??? 1st time i ever heard that name anyway.

-i assume its a CLK AMG55 , M3 , S4 equivalent?

Not so sure a dressed up Saab 9-3 is a match for the above cars..

The Vigen looks to be a special edition model named after it's aeroplane's sake?

*edit*: There's the plane...http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/101-200/walk200_viggen/walk200.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Viggen is/was a name of a fighter plane that Saab make, and they also use it as a name for their top of the range models, one up from the Aero's IIRC. Just think torque steer, barrow loads of it, and you'll get the picture :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

ciarsd wrote:
    Not so sure a dressed up Saab 9-3 is a match for the above cars..

The Vigen looks to be a special edition model named after it's aeroplane's sake?

*edit*: There's the plane...http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/101-200/walk200_viggen/walk200.htm

Trawling through some old posts.

The Viggen is hardly a dressed up SAAB. Very different car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Chaz wrote:
    The Viggen is hardly a dressed up SAAB. Very different car.

I'd still call it a dressed up 9-3. The Viggen has a power output of 225BHP compared to the Aero 2.0T of 205BHP. Looks nice though imho. Saab engineers famously admitted themselves that anything over 200BHP and FWD doesn't really work

Alun is right. Torque steer galore ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

The hardtop viggen looks really good. Its one of the few modern saabs that are in any way appealing. ( 9-5 aero is nice also ) Personally though, I prefer the classic 900 turbo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Slickjim

Gerry wrote:
    The hardtop viggen looks really good. Its one of the few modern saabs that are in any way appealing. ( 9-5 aero is nice also ) Personally though, I prefer the classic 900 turbo :)

Oh yea, the 9-3 and the 9-5 aero's are savage lookin cars, but if you ask me, the 900/9000 range were horrid cars. Style is just so 80's look.

unkel wrote:
    I'd still call it a dressed up 9-3. The Viggen has a power output of 225BHP compared to the Aero 2.0T of 205BHP. Looks nice though imho. Saab engineers famously admitted themselves that anything over 200BHP and FWD doesn't really work

Not going to split hairs, but 230HP. The difference too is the car is lighter, it has a full body kit as standard, it also has an interior fairly different to the normal SAABs.

Either way, its a car with Character and has enough oomph to give E36 M3's and many Scoobs (depending on traction) a good go. Tourque Steer is plenty - but adds to the 'fun' of driving the car. Certainly a bit of a sleeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 kaizersoze1

adam01 wrote:

how many times are you going to post this crap?
    You must have posted this same thread at least 5 times before, ok you own one of these cars. Well done. Now píss off :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

unkel wrote:
    ....Saab engineers famously admitted themselves that anything over 200BHP and FWD doesn't really work

I reckon chassis technology must be a factor here. My Focus ST has 225bhp, no lsd, no traction control, and I've yet to experience any significiant torque steer.

The Viggen was known to have some issues. There are upgrade kits that fix a lot of that.

Your car, if turbo charged, will almost definately have some form of Traction Control in 1st and 2nd gear. The boost is lowered and power is cut. My Viggen and nearly every single other FWD Turbo car I have looked at or read about works the same way. Does 3rd gear feel 'as strong' as 2nd?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes it is turbo charged and has VVT meaning peak torque is reacherd from 1600 rpm upwards.

I'm pretty certain it has no electronics limiting power in any gear.

Pull in all the gears is very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

adam01 wrote:

Have you posted these pictures before, they look very familiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

prospect wrote:
    Have you posted these pictures before, they look very familiar?

Have a look at this:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054930330

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I've seen it on ebay, the vanity plates are very distinctive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

*yawn*

The sort of car old ladies drive to the botox shop. It looks like it might be handy for dipping sheep but I doubt you will be seeing many in street-racer guise any time soon. (Voom, voom, my Saab will beat your Evo IX - I don't think so...)

'cptr

*yawn*

The sort of car old ladies drive to the botox shop. It looks like it might be handy for dipping sheep but I doubt you will be seeing many in street-racer guise any time soon. (Voom, voom, my Saab will beat your Evo IX - I don't think so...)

'cptr

Dont think so? Do you have a Evo? I wouldnt mind a side by side comparison (on a private track/strip) to check myself ....

Wanted to add - you ever seen the Ari Vattenen (spelling) racing clip where he races up the Giles Peak (think that was the name of it) in a rally car?

Chaz wrote:
    ever seen the Ari Vattenen (spelling) racing clip where he races up the Giles Peak (think that was the name of it) in a rally car?
    Nope - post a link. The Viggen is a breathed-on 9-3, the 9-3 is a tarted up Vectra, the Vectra is a bag of toss from GM - the kings of tossbags, ergo the Viggen is a scuttle-shakingly awful old-lady-mobile. No, I don't own an Evo - I am poor and have young kids so my motoring budget is less than my Weetabix budget. I used be on the Irish Olympic Top Trumps team so I know my onions.

'cptr

Nope - post a link. The Viggen is a breathed-on 9-3, the 9-3 is a tarted up Vectra, the Vectra is a bag of toss from GM - the kings of tossbags, ergo the Viggen is a scuttle-shakingly awful old-lady-mobile. No, I don't own an Evo - I am poor and have young kids so my motoring budget is less than my Weetabix budget. I used be on the Irish Olympic Top Trumps team so I know my onions.

'cptr

Haha - youve obviouly never actually been or driven in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Lads, let's settle this now.
    Slap the meat on the table and we'll provide the Helix Maths set ruler.

*sigh* cock-wagglers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

cptr... Using you're own logic, that means an evo is little more than a breathed on Lancer.

Besides, there's no point comparing a cab with a hardtop, as you're not comparing like with like... The cab always carries extra weight thanks to the machinery needed to operate the roof.

Don't mind me, I'm just feeling a bit troll-ey. As a peace offering I found a sig pic for you Chaz and I've emailed SyxPak a picture of my mickey to measure for future reference.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fvcking closed.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement