Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin Charges

Options
  • 17-01-2006 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭

I see that the Dublin City Council are pushing again for bin charges to be paid.
    I haven't paid for three years due to the unfairness of the system. I put my
    bin out once a month compared to my neighbours two bins every week. That
    is eight times as much rubbish for the same price. Now the last year they
    have introduced a pay as you go system but a) they haven't backdated it to
    2003 so that it would only be costing me 140 or so a year which I would be
    willing to pay and b) I haven't received a bill since before the pay as you go
    was introduced. Does anyone recall an issue with where the council could not
    issue bin charges if they hadn't issued a recycle bin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

If you're happy to pay €140 and you only have to put out a bin once a month, just go to the dump yourself. Costs €20 a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

So where exactly can you go just to dump it yourself for €20?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

If you don't pay your bin charges why pay any of your taxes.

As far as many people are concerened you are a parasite. So what if you reduced your waste you aren't campagining and paying your way you a just stealing a service. Do you complain about rip off prices and steal from the store. to make up for it?

How do you suggest they back date a system where there are no records of the lifts?

I think I see why you can't see it as theft if you can't figure that out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

JJ wrote:
    So where exactly can you go just to dump it yourself for €20?
    errr....the dump maybe:confused:

peepsbates wrote:
    errr....the dump maybe:confused:

Yes and where is the nearest dump in Dublin that provides this service? That's what I meant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

JJ wrote:
    Yes and where is the nearest dump in Dublin that provides this service? That's what I meant.

Fingal County Council has a facility at Ballealy Lane in Lusk. I think it's €15 for a full car - €30 with trailer. Recycling is free of charge.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/YourLocalCouncil/Services/Environment/Landfill/Balleally/BalleallyCivicAmenity/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

If you don't pay your bin charges why pay any of your taxes.

As far as many people are concerened you are a parasite. So what if you reduced your waste you aren't campagining and paying your way you a just stealing a service. Do you complain about rip off prices and steal from the store. to make up for it?

How do you suggest they back date a system where there are no records of the lifts?

I think I see why you can't see it as theft if you can't figure that out

In fairness, the OP does have a valid point. Why should he pay as much as his neighbour when he doesn't sue it half as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Stealing from a shop is not a very good comparison MorningStar. One is not required to buy, from a shop, loads of stuff that one does not need. Most other taxes are percentage based.
    At least in Fingal we pay per bin (€7.50). I can get by with putting it out every 8 weeks (i.e. €45 PA), whereas my nextdoor neighbour puts his out each week (i.e. €390 PA). A much fairer system. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

In fairness, the OP does have a valid point. Why should he pay as much as his neighbour when he doesn't sue it half as much.

Why would he pay the same in Dublin City you pay by lift or bag. If he doesn't like what his council do then he should campaign. There are law as and standards to live by you have a problem with a law or regulation you complain and use the proper chanels. Actually what council in Dublin doesn't charge by use to some extent? Dublin City, Fingal and Rathdown all charge by use. So he doesn't have a valid point as far as I can see did I miss something. He wants retroactive measurement when a method of measurement wasn't about you think that is a valid point. What we do know is this person is not willing to pay his way for a service, when he thinks it is unfair.
    Litcagral wrote:
    Stealing from a shop is not a very good comparison MorningStar. One is not required to buy, from a shop, loads of stuff that one does not need. Most other taxes are percentage based.
    At least in Fingal we pay per bin (€7.50). I can get by with putting it out every 8 weeks (i.e. €45 PA), whereas my nextdoor neighbour puts his out each week (i.e. €390 PA). A much fairer system. :)
    One is not required to get free service either. THis guy lives in an area where weight is also there he wants to be charged less for the years he didn't pay! When they didn't meassure use. THeft is theft do you think somebody who robs from a shop and somebody who steals money via account fraud is any less a theif? You need food so theft from a shop is need.

If you evade tax or charges you are stealing not a point of opinion. You can try and justify actions anyway you like but if you can afford to pay there really is no excuse.

Litcagral wrote:
    Fingal County Council has a facility at Ballealy Lane in Lusk. I think it's €15 for a full car - €30 with trailer. Recycling is free of charge.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/YourLocalCouncil/Services/Environment/Landfill/Balleally/BalleallyCivicAmenity/

Thank you...that's whay I was looking for. I'm quite happy to pay bin charges if it's by use but I'm still trying to get my bin registered. Someone has to come out and register it for you. Unfortunately, the eejits at DCC are backed up in this regard.

I totally agree that there shouldn't be a flat bin charge for all people regardless of how much you throw out as was the old system. A single person living on their own shouldn't have to pay the same as a family of 10. I'm somewhat happy that they now have a pay-by-use system but this really isn't good enough. When they first introduced bin charges, they should've done it by a pay-by-weight system and had bins that you could lock. But no, DCC can barely run the pay-by-use system as it is. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

JJ wrote:
    Thank you...that's whay I was looking for. I'm quite happy to pay bin charges if it's by use but I'm still trying to get my bin registered. Someone has to come out and register it for you. Unfortunately, the eejits at DCC are backed up in this regard.

I totally agree that there shouldn't be a flat bin charge for all people regardless of how much you throw out as was the old system. A single person living on their own shouldn't have to pay the same as a family of 10. I'm somewhat happy that they now have a pay-by-use system but this really isn't good enough. When they first introduced bin charges, they should've done it by a pay-by-weight system and had bins that you could lock. But no, DCC can barely run the pay-by-use system as it is. :mad:

was just looking at south dublin countly council's site and the ballymount site off the greenhills road accepts (according to the site, i havent gone myself) general houshold waste at a charge of 12euro from a car (not an estate though or car/van , thats 18).
    now when you consider you could probably get six bags in a opel corsa that means you cans save 24euro by bringing it yourself.

so feck em, dont pay your arreres because they were illeagal anyway (according to the courts) and bring it yourself, the ballymount ones open 7 days a week including bankholidays so there should be no problem availing of it

Advertisement