Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

making friends?

• 17-01-2006 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I find it really hard to make new friends and it's really getting to me. I do have friends but only from school and thats nearly the only time when i see them. There arn't a lot of people my age on my road but there are loads on the other roads around me. I'm always inside my house and get really bored with no one around. I would like to make friends with the kids on the other roads but I dunno where to start. I cant just go and call for someone and ask them to come out because i dont know any of them. Please help!! I'm 15 years old and these are the years of my life where i'm suposed to have fun.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

To be honest, you're 15, you're still in school so you're still limited (in some fashion) to the school social scene. I personally don't think anyone in their school days has a massive amount of friends, a lot of acquaintances maybe but not a whole lot of friends, you'll realise this when you leave school and all the people you thought you'd be 'best friends forever' with suddenly don't give a **** about you, nor you about them. Wait until you get older, get a job or go to college, that's when you'll meet people who share similar interests or pursuits - something you don't get to really do as much of in school as the people in your class are there as they have to be, not by choice.

Ask yourself this question, would you rather have a few good friends or a load of people who you aren't really that close to you?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

When i was around that age, my friends were actually never from around the area where i lived. This wasnt deliberate, it was just the way it worked out. Dont worry about having friends on your road, or the roads nearby.
    If you want to make some new friends, try getting involved in activities in and out of school. You're bound to click with some people, and then develop it on into friendship. If they dont live close to you, dont worry about it.

And dont worry if you dont have lots and lots of friends. I only had a few good friends as a child, and I still have most of them now. Whats more important is having good friendships, not lots of passing ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭half_life_man

So you guys think i should just stick with my friends from school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yeah, it's better to have a few good friends than lots of fleeting friendships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

I'm always inside my house and get really bored with no one around.

I think I see you problem. :)

You're not going to meet people if you stay in all the time. You need to be out doing things, it's not even too important what it is. Start going for walks or running in the evening. Join a sports or drama club. Just get out there and do things and be approachable and pleasant when you meet new people.

Actually just re-read your OP. If you already have friends from school why not arrange to meet up with them after school? There are numerous activities ye could do that would allow you to meet new people. Play a game of tennis or start a band or something. If you want to make friends with the kids on the other roads maybe find a common interest with one of them or be in the area when they need to make up the numbers for a game of football. It shouldn't be that hard if you change your mindset.

Best of luck,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Pick up a hobby or a sport. You'll make friends there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

So you guys think i should just stick with my friends from school?

Try to arrange more stuff with them outside of school hours. You wind up meeting other people through them as well, and the join a club suggestion is a good one too. Always endorse more activities

Advertisement