Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

astro turf piches

Options
  • 17-01-2006 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

anyone know when they are opening ? might be a healthy alternative to get people to know each other if we could organise a few 5 aside matches :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Would definitely be on for it whenever they do open, would be great to get something regular going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Do_nal

Yup would be definitely be up for a weekly 5-aside!!

Does anyone know whether the pitches are part of the gym or whether anyone will be able to book them? I'm also assuming the baseball diamond isn't part of the gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Count me in for the 5 a side.
    I've a pain where I can't feel it commuting to my usual game in Rathfarnham on a Tuesday night, so something in Charlesland would be perfect.
    I assume we can block book the pitches, or pay as you go.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Manny7 wrote:
    Does anyone know whether the pitches are part of the gym or whether anyone will be able to book them? I'm also assuming the baseball diamond isn't part of the gym?

I went for a quick jog up that way a couple of months ago until the security guard told me to fcek off out of there. Anyway! I asked about the tennis courts and 5-aside pitches. He told me that they wanted the council to take them over, but the council were NOT interested. So I don't know what is going to happen there. They don't seem to realise what a goldmine these 5-aside facilities are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think the council are interested, they just haven't decided how they're going to manage them yet. It's definitely been discussed in WCC meetings but these politicians move slow at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

Lads, definitely count me in for this if it ever gets off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

I'd be on for it as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

The gym is private but everything else is public. The WCC is trying to figure out how to manage the facilities. I noticed they have advertised for recruiting a manager for the centre, so they must be getting close to putting a plan in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 quag

Id be well on for playing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Pasc

I will also be up for a weekly 5 a-side. Although I will not be moving in untill about August 06.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Lads (and eh!...lasses if there are any here??)

Based on the responses so far, there seems to be plenty of interest in a regular game:

Confirmed interest so far:
    ccfcexile
    manny7
    do_nal
    Angel
    JanneG
    quag
    ....and me (BirdWatcher)

Comments, but not yet committed:
    Marcais
    Loyatemu
    MyPerfectCousin

Pasc reckons he won't be down until Aug 06....Jaysus!..that's months away!!
    So, when do we start????
    Training on the green on the spine road every Sunday morning???
    Ha! Ha! Ha!

Lets get this thing organised......sharpish!!!
    BW:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Ice Man

Can count me in on a game but not for a while. Due in the house in April....ish but am due to have an op on an old rugby injury sometime around the end of March....ish!! I'll be the one on crutches trying to move into the Park in the coming months!!

Don't think I'm much use at five-a-side, but if anyone is interested in a game of tennis, I plan on dusting off my racket. I was up at the sports complex over the weekend and all the courts (five-a-side, tennis and basketball) seem ready to go. The playground is finished. The changing rooms look finished. The athletic track is basically done.

Unfortunately for me, the baseball diamond isn't ready (I'm in the local club and have been waiting for this for years). By the way, if anyone is interested in playing baseball, or in coaching youth baseball, please let me know. Our season is starting next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

Do they have a womens team? I've been meaning to take up some kind of sport.

Women are welcome to join the adult team, although they've only ever had one female since it started, and most of the teams in the league are all men. Girls are well represented in the youth programme.

There is a softball club in Bray that is mixed and plays in a recreational league with training at Ballywaltrim and matches in Dublin.

Once the baseball field is finished in Charlesland, I wouldn't be surprised if an adult softball team sprung up there.

check out www.softball.ie

I'm definitely on for playing baseball, love the game but no experience of playing it, is there room for beginners?

Yes Manny, in fact we are going to have a "B" team this year for less experienced players.

That's great, maybe you can post something when the season is going to start? We were out a bit on the green during the summer throwing a ball round but no-one else came to join in...

Manny, there is a pre-season meeting on Thursday the 16th at 8.30 pm at Killian House, Church of the Holy Rosary (near Summerville restaurant and the railway tracks) in Greystones. New players and old will be in attendence. I might be there, but I'm more involved with the youth teams. I'll send you contact info by private message. I should probably stop advertising the club on here now:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Manny, there is a pre-season meeting on Thursday the 16th at Killian House, Church of the Holy Rosary (near Summerville restaurant and the railway tracks) in Greystones. New players and old will be in attendence. I might be there, but I'm more involved with the youth teams. I'll send you contact info by private message. I should probably stop advertising the club on here now:)

Not at all; it's just self-pimping for commercial organisations that is frowned upon on boards.ie. If you have contact details that you don't mind putting public, then put them on the handy numbers thread.

Has anyone heard any update on the pitches?

Apparently this came up for discussion at the Greystones Town Council Meeting on Feb 28. WCC are anxious to move things on but there has been no movement from the developers. I think this has to do with changes the council want to see implemented regarding fencing/security before the developers hand over the site to them. I wonder if the developers are waiting to see if their additional planning request for 20 acres worth of more houses gets approved first. Bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FINN1

Count me in for the football 5-a-side if it gets up and running!

I have posted a new thread starting in May so hopefully that'll revive the interest shown here previously!!

Advertisement