Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firefox sluggish on Suse 10 x86_64

• 17-01-2006 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

As the thread title says, I'm running Suse linux 10.0, 64 bit version. It came with firefox 1.0.7 installed off the DVD, and I used suse's online update to upgrade it to 1.5. I have IPv6 disabled systemwide, as that was causing dns resolution to take ages.
    Anyways, firefox's GUI seems particularly sluggish to respond to mouse clicks and the like. There's a noticeable pause when changing tabs and rendering pages, and it is annoying the ****e out of me. The same phenomenon is noticeable when switching from some other app to firefox. Konqueror seems to work fine.

hardware in use is as follows:
    Athlon 64 3200+
    Abit AN8, integrated ethernet and sound
    2GB pc3200 ram
    hiper 580w power supply
    4 hard disks, only 1 of which has linux partitions on it
    nvidia 6800GT (PCI-E) with nvidia linux drivers installed and working fine

Firefox 1.5 works just fine on this system when I boot windows xp (32 bit though). Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Stephen wrote:
    As the thread title says, I'm running Suse linux 10.0, 64 bit version. It came with firefox 1.0.7 installed off the DVD, and I used suse's online update to upgrade it to 1.5. I have IPv6 disabled systemwide, as that was causing dns resolution to take ages.
    Anyways, firefox's GUI seems particularly sluggish to respond to mouse clicks and the like. There's a noticeable pause when changing tabs and rendering pages, and it is annoying the ****e out of me. The same phenomenon is noticeable when switching from some other app to firefox. Konqueror seems to work fine.

hardware in use is as follows:
    Athlon 64 3200+
    Abit AN8, integrated ethernet and sound
    2GB pc3200 ram
    hiper 580w power supply
    4 hard disks, only 1 of which has linux partitions on it
    nvidia 6800GT (PCI-E) with nvidia linux drivers installed and working fine

Firefox 1.5 works just fine on this system when I boot windows xp (32 bit though). Any thoughts?

What happens when you install the 32bit version of firefox, i'm not all that familar with Suse but i'm sure it ships with all the relevant libs to run 32bit apps. It could be that there is an issue with the x86_64 build of firefox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Install Gentoo :D

Besides that, you should check for a 64-bit RPM for Firefox under Suse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Haha Fenster, see you are a Gentoo Fanboy now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I have been for some time, in truth! I finally ditched Fedora after running into dependency hell over some stupid little program in January of 05 and threw myself at getting Gentoo installed thereafter, as I had heard nothing but good things concerning Portage.

Portage still works grand - it has most things, its up to date and I never have dependency nightmare. Except for the fact it has a bit of a clunky setup when it comes to adding different portage servers, or an overlay.

It can't beat just adding two lines to /etc/apt/sources.list

Advertisement