Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband Speed upgrade. ????

• 17-01-2006 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

This may be silly question but here goes anyway.
    If and when will BT increase their broadband basic package
    speeds. Will it happen at the same time as Eircom increase theirs
    this coming weekend.?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Just switched to BT myself yesterday, The guy on the phine said it will be increased same time as eircom. So hopefully he's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

last time the speed was increase it was the same time as eircom.

many people here think that the same will happen again and there is no reason to believe it won't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Esat are just reselling an ericom product if eircom make any changes to their network as they are doing it will effect esat customer because they are just eircom customers at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I thought there was an upgrade happening there a few hours ago when the BTBB stopped working for a short while (orange "ACT" light didn't come on after reboot/router reboot) but a speed test says it wasn't upgraded. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mcobrien

I've just ordered BT Broadband myself and the guy I spoke to said the upgrades will be in two weeks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

For what it's worth, I got this reply from BT's online help today:
    Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
    You have been connected to Stephen S.
    Stephen S: Good morning K, how may I help you?
    K: Hi, will BT BB speeds increase this weekend when Eircom do the upgrades?
    Stephen S: not this weekend but in the next month or 2
    Stephen S: 2MB will become 3MB
    Stephen S: and 1MB will become 2MB
    K: Great. Thanks for that. Goodbye
    Stephen S: I am glad to have been of help. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
    Stephen S: Have a good day K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Ah well, I was expecting it really to be a bit later than this weekend, there has been no announcements...I didn't really think there'd be an upgrade without a good mention of it first.

Ah well, I was expecting it really to be a bit later than this weekend, there has been no announcements...I didn't really think there'd be an upgrade without a good mention of it first.
    That's the answer I was expecting aswell but I have my doubts.
    I still get the feeling something will happen this weekend. The original Eircom service bulletin was...
    Possible disruption to your broadband service
    We will be upgrading our broadband service on Friday 20th January 2006 between 22:00 until Saturday21st January 2006 at 20:00. This work is to facilitate giving our DSL customers higher downstream and upstream bandwidths on their accounts. If you are an eircom broadband customer in one of the areas listed below, you may experience a disruption to your broadband service.

DSL traffic will be affected for approximately 20 hours
    All DSL Enabled Sites Will Be Affected
    ...but that wording was changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

BopNiblets wrote:
    I thought there was an upgrade happening there a few hours ago when the BTBB stopped working for a short while (orange "ACT" light didn't come on after reboot/router reboot) but a speed test says it wasn't upgraded. :(

yeah noticed that just after midnight. while i was in the middle of a very important game of BF2. It it was a scheduled outage it would be nice if they told us before hand.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 John_Carrick

Has anyone heard anything about any impending price changes - probably wishful thinking on my part?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

kaizersoze wrote:
    For what it's worth, I got this reply from BT's online help today:
    Stephen S: not this weekend but in the next month or 2
    Whaaaaat? :mad:
    I really hope he's just following standard company policy and talking out of his arse.
    Otherwise why are BT dragging their heels on this upgrade?
    Cremo wrote:
    last time the speed was increase it was the same time as eircom.
    Yeah, is there some technical reason why this upgrade is any different? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

So the BT basic 1mb package is becoming 2mb Down/256K Up? am i right?

Gegerty wrote:
    So the BT basic 1mb package is becoming 2mb Down/256K Up? am i right?
    Correct.
    Donkey, I think he was talking out of his arse aswell:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Personally, I wouldn't believe anything those guys on the webchat say. I find them incompetent at the best of times!

True, back in April many of them told me there would be no cap increase at all for BT after the upgrades, about a week later it was increased to 16gb and 24gb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I ordrered BTBB last thursday, the guy said three weeks, I thought this was a bit long, how long were you guys told?

Slunk wrote:
    I ordrered BTBB last thursday, the guy said three weeks, I thought this was a bit long, how long were you guys told?

The same, only it took 4 because the knobs didn't process my order properly at first :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

same here, i got an email, we encountered an error. Awell nothing I can do but wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

JackieChan wrote:
    Personally, I wouldn't believe anything those guys on the webchat say. I find them incompetent at the best of times!

Just like certain other providers - monkeys with headsets...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭speedbird1

Slunk wrote:

Mine took exactly 7 days for the line to broadband enabled. However I bought
    the line rental + Broadband package and to date (since 16 Dec 05) my phone line remains with Eircom. Two phone calls and several promises of immediate action have to date not suceeded in effecting a change over.
    Also watch out that you get your discount for the first 4 months, they seems to forget about that one as well. Apart from that I have found the Broadband service reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dazza25

I posted this in another thread but here it goes again:
    I work in BT and all BT customers will be upgraded this weekend as well.

Don't mind those "monkeys with headsets" in here...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Just got this email :
    From 23rd January, BT Broadband will feature faster download speeds* for the same price.

Broadband Download speed increases from 1Mbps to 2Mbps

Broadband Upload speed increases from 128Kbps to 256Kbps

Broadband Plus Download speed increases from 2Mbps to 3Mbps

Broadband Plus Upload speed increases from 128Kbps to 384Kbps

More speed means music tracks download faster, video plays more smoothly, and web pages open with just a click. Your enjoyment online will increase, but your Broadband bill won’t!

Increased data transfer limits let you do more.

Along with speed increases, data transfer limits will also increase from 23rd January.

Broadband data transfer limit increases from 12GB to 20GB
    Broadband Plus data transfer limit increases from 24GB to 30GB

Enjoy the convenience of online billing.

Online billing puts you in control with tools that let you track your total callspend, pay your bill, review previous transactions, update billing details and more.

Setting up online billing is easy. Click here to find out how.

We hope you continue to enjoy your BT Broadband service.

Thank you for your custom.

*Due to line quality characteristics, some customers may not experience the new speed increases in full

Personally i think the Download limit for Plus should have gone up to at least 40GB, 30 is cool and all but its only 6GB more than now

DJ Hafez wrote:
    Just got this email :

Personally i think the Download limit for Plus should have gone up to at least 40GB, 30 is cool and all but its only 6GB more than now
    Just got that now aswell and you beat me to the post:mad: :D
    I'd say the cap increase is only a temporary one to see what the rest do.
    It'll probably be upped again when the announce the new packages (hopefully)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Yeah I just got that email too. Nice increase in upload speeds too. 128Kbps to 384Kbps. Although my 128 was never more than 71/72 so I'm not holding my breadth.

All in all, a happy BT customer here :)

Did I just say that?... :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Groovy....the upload has gone up a good bit for us plus customers:)

I wonder if we'll see any increase tonight so, since they are now saying the 23rd. I know from last year they said the 4th and we got the speeds on the night of the 2nd, maybe its just a case of them saying the 23rd to ensure people aren't ringing them up tomorrow wondering why their bb package hasn't been upgraded, I hope so because I'm reaaaallly wanting this tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

30Gb is pathetic that's what €ircon are offering on their package! Come on BT you can do a lot better then that! I would have expected something like 40Gb - after all I doubt many people would come near that and it adds another reason to go for BT as opposed to €ircon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

The upload speed upgrades are a very good thing, yay! Cheers BT.
    From 23rd January....

They say the upgrade is happening on the monday coz they don't want to give the impression that anybody works in BT during the weekend... Definitely not in customer support anyway ;-)

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Has anyone heard anything about any impending price changes - probably wishful thinking on my part?

It'll be interesting to see if anything does change as the people on the 1mb product are getting 100% speed increase for no extra money while the people on 2mb are getting a 50% increase (apart from the upload speed trebling) for no extra money.

Should the Broadband Plus users get a bit of a price reduction? Greedy I know. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

just got that email aswell :D

Advertisement