Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2006 Snow Predictions And Indications Part 7

Options
  • 17-01-2006 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭

Winter 2006 Snow Predictions And Indications Part 7 - The beast from the east cometh;)

Probably not but here's hoping!!
    I see each run is bringing the really colder weather another few hours away..its always at the end of the ensemble run - F.I.

There are encouraging signs in that there is at least a few runs now edging towards the -5 mark at 850hpa ..but thats probably only useful in an established flow and especially over higer ground (last cold spell we had -7 and sleety rain..but the seas were slightly warmer, and pressure was pretty high).

Febuary and March are the best months for snowfall in most of the country so far from winter being over ..its just about to begin!!

That said, we have plenty of much needed rain to get through in the next 5-10 days at least before then in all likelyhood.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

For the moment we have a touch of spring to get through, anyone care to have a bet on 15c being reached in some part of Ireland by 1800hrs on Thursday evening???

Mothman might if its sunny :)

I am NW of a ridge of hills, I might :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so far were on track for another record breaking mild January if this keeps up till the end of the month, so far this month most days have seen temperatures breaking double figures in Dublin reaching 12/13c a few times already. At 11pm tonight in Dublin its currently 11C, thats 2C warmer than Malaga in Spain, 2c warmer than Rome in Italy and 9c warmer than Athens in Greece!

Yet another January where 13c+ was recorded in Ireland... fifteen in a row now I think...

Mothman (the keeper of records) should have a verification on this.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote:
    so far were on track for another record breaking mild January if this keeps up till the end of the month, so far this month most days have seen temperatures breaking double figures in Dublin reaching 12/13c a few times already. At 11pm tonight in Dublin its currently 11C, thats 2C warmer than Malaga in Spain, 2c warmer than Rome in Italy and 9c warmer than Athens in Greece!
    Whoopy doo

What do you expect?
    Our climate is maratime with some variability like unusual heatwaves (rare) and unusual cold snaps (also rare)

And I'll bet Malaga will be warmer than Ireland tomorrow though it is continental so despite its southerly location is more likely to get unmodified cold air unlike us who are an island and whose air is always modified by the sea whether from a cold or warm feed.
    The idea of these threads is to actually discuss weather possibilities and probabilities.
    Lest people forget or simply weren't old enough to notice or werent born, that though the 1980's delivered lots of cold snaps-it also had plenty of periods where we were mild and Europe froze and said freeze never got here.
    Thats our climate folks.
    Incidently there werent many cold snaps in the 70's either untill the late 70's...

Now can we continue to discuss the various possibilities in the weather without the constant moaning thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The trend is falling in line maybe abit later than i expected but i won't
    mind once the cold air is flooding throught hat gate to the east.

The models are falling into line, its a long shot at this stage as were
    looking at the +168hr range.

But atm from January 28th we could be entering a severe cold spell:)

4 things are needed WC for to avoid wet sleety snow slop:

(1) sub -10 850's(no warmer) to reach at least the East coast (ie cover all of the Irish sea)
    (2) strong winds which would immedietly temper any sst modification of the surface air
    (3) Sub zero surface air in Britain (Sub zero in northern France etc would be a given and a must)

Those together would bring the air temps in the East down to plus one or two maxes or lower depending on the strength of the wind flow and how cold Britain got.Snow would be a given as dewpoints would almost certainly be well below zero.
    However precipitation would depend on the next point...

(4) Pressure below 1020mb-if its any higher than that, you can forget about heavy showers, you will get light coastal ones at best or maybe moderate if lucky.
    1015mb or lower would be ideal.

If you lose any of those four conditions, you can still obviously get a good snow event but you run the risk of it being marginal or uninteresting.

Thats the shopping list anyway for the cold spells home delivery and looking at its "budget" way out East, it can easily deliver those 4 conditions.

A watered down version of them like last february (2005) would be disappointing (no -10 850 or below in the East or covering the Irish sea and no UK wide surface sub zero maxes with the exception of the south East of England)

I'm not going to be selfish and ask for the -10 or below 850 air to cover the whole of Ireland :D In actual fact with widespread sub zero UK maxes, it would be enough for that upper air to cover the East and most essentially the Irish sea.
    -5 to -10 upper air in those circumstances and negative dew points would be adequate to provide snow else where in Ireland if the above was delivered to the East.
    It would certainly cause a very snowy spell too in any Cold v mild atlantic break down of the spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Danno wrote:
    Yet another January where 13c+ was recorded in Ireland... fifteen in a row now I think...

Not quite ;) Below are the max temps at the synoptic stations for each Jan back to 1980. I've added in a couple notes. The Ashford Temps are official temps.

1980M01 12.5
    1981M01 13.5
    1982M01 13.2
    1983M01 14.2
    1984M01 13.2
    1985M01 12.5
    1986M01 13
    1987M01 12
    1988M01 13.9
    1989M01 13.9
    1990M01 14.3
    1991M01 13.2
    1992M01 13.5
    1993M01 14.8
    1994M01 12.7
    1995M01 13
    1996M01 13.4
    1997M01 13.8
    1998M01 16.5
    1999M01 13.1
    2000M01 13
    2001M01 12.1 12.7C recorded at Johnstown Castle Co. Wexford.
    2002M01 14.4 14.7C at Ashford Co. Wicklow
    2003M01 16.1 17.8C at Ashford Co. Wicklow
    2004M01 13.2 13.8C at Ashford Co. Wicklow
    2005M01 14 14.4C at Ashford Co. Wicklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

BTW, max of 13.8C today at 1030. Still above 13C now. Don't think I'll see 15C tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

This is something that bothers me, I may be out of place saying this but "here goes". If this such a mild coutry (I hate mild), as pointed out, then why do so many ppl wear so much clothes, I means to say, heavy clothes you would associate with "real" winter conditions??? I haven't needed to wear a jacket,
    cap, gloves etc. since I went to Austria this time last year. It just baffles me.
    Forgive me I know its off topic but some ppl I've seen today look like they think its -3c outside.:confused:

And for my final question what kind of conditions cause a heavy mist like rain which I am no experiencing in Galway city?

max here was 12.3c at 1112 am which is not much warmer than the current 11.9c

Getting back on topic Moscow has been down to -36c in the last 24 hours :eek:
    Thats its coldest temp since 1947...

Now I have to say provided pressure stayed below 1020,I'd be very excited with a south south east to East flow originating from there at the end of the month.
    The whole of Eastern and central Europe is getting as cold if not colder than at any time that we had and Easterly in the 80's

Parts of Finland are down to -27c also which would be a nice NE source with a good fetch.
    Even when modified that would be potent on arrival here.

So lets see what happens.
    There are already subtle hints being dropped by forecasters across the water that something is cooking :)

Earthman wrote:
    4 things are needed WC for to avoid wet sleety snow slop:

(1) sub -10 850's(no warmer) to reach at least the East coast (ie cover all of the Irish sea)
    (2) strong winds which would immedietly temper any sst modification of the surface air
    (3) Sub zero surface air in Britain (Sub zero in northern France etc would be a given and a must)

Those together would bring the air temps in the East down to plus one or two maxes or lower depending on the strength of the wind flow and how cold Britain got.Snow would be a given as dewpoints would almost certainly be well below zero.
    However precipitation would depend on the next point...

(4) Pressure below 1020mb-if its any higher than that, you can forget about heavy showers, you will get light coastal ones at best or maybe moderate if lucky.
    1015mb or lower would be ideal.

If you lose any of those four conditions, you can still obviously get a good snow event but you run the risk of it being marginal or uninteresting.

Thats the shopping list anyway for the cold spells home delivery and looking at its "budget" way out East, it can easily deliver those 4 conditions.

A watered down version of them like last february (2005) would be disappointing (no -10 850 or below in the East or covering the Irish sea and no UK wide surface sub zero maxes with the exception of the south East of England)

I'm not going to be selfish and ask for the -10 or below 850 air to cover the whole of Ireland :D In actual fact with widespread sub zero UK maxes, it would be enough for that upper air to cover the East and most essentially the Irish sea.
    -5 to -10 upper air in those circumstances and negative dew points would be adequate to provide snow else where in Ireland if the above was delivered to the East.
    It would certainly cause a very snowy spell too in any Cold v mild atlantic break down of the spell.

All I can say is the 12z must have been listening :D

FI I know but boy oh boy oh boy-look at this :)

You would have snow coming out of your ears in the East with this and Billy the Squid would be skating on the shannon

Rtavn2402.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Were in buisness folks:

Still a bit to go but the charts are getting better and better:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes the prosepcts and trend are becoming a REAL possibility.

Look forth with promise and we will see

Maybe it's just me... but i always expected this winter to come off. I've lost patience at times
    but i think were finally homing in on the Holy Grail of weather set-up. I for some reason am not
    nervous about this set-up i kinda think that it is set in stone. I know it might sound crazy and all
    but that's my opinion. Im not gonna worry about ENS's and the lark because i would find it amazing
    if we were not to have a severe 7 day cold spell within the next 3 weeks.

Lets sit back relax and see where the roller-coaster takes us

if we were not to have a severe 7 day cold spell within the next 3 weeks.

Lets sit back relax and see where the roller-coaster takes us
    That particular run tended to a week of the above chart for Ireland which would certainly be enough (low pressure permitting) to pile snow showers onto the East coast-yes snow, not sleet, and not rain.

The only problem I see and the hurdle to get over is that there is no delay, ie a temporary continuance of the Atlantic influence ,pushing back an Easterly for 3 or 4 more weeks like last year and at this distance that is still a big risk.

Also if that happens, you will probably have lost a lot of the cold to Greece or somewhere and have a less potent Easterly...

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Myself and my wife were planning a weekend break next week to Oslo, wonder what those charts would bring for there?

It's already minus 17c in Oslo Felix and falling...
    So even colder still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

Got a max temp here today(Laois) of 15c at 1400 - 1530

Earthman wrote:
    It's already minus 17c in Oslo Felix and falling...
    So even colder still

wow, so I may see some snow there! We are about to book this evening, due to fly out on Friday 26th and come back on the Sunday - would nearly prefer to save it for another weekend if there is potential at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A peach of a chart:D

Even though it's in FI, any Long Range Forecasts I've read have hinted at what that chart suggests at that time. I'm going to go as far as to say as that chart is more likely to occur than it normally would at 240 hours but no more. I'm not going to be held responsible for jinxing it:p

There'll certainly be snow there and if this run was to come off, your return flight would be re routed to Shannon :D ( or possibly Malaga :p )

Though there will most definitely be snow and ice and mega sub zero temps in Oslo-we would be hoping by that w/end that it is also under at least a 1060 mb anticyclone ( so as we get our Easterly ) so hopefully it will be sunny by then there.

My apologies Felix

Oslo is not as cold as other parts of Norway at the moment though it is near freezing and it will more than likely join the rest of Europe soon in major sub zero land
    It's currently -4c

http://www.weatherunderground.com/global/NO.html

Mothman wrote:
    Not quite ;) Below are the max temps at the synoptic stations for each Jan back to 1980. I've added in a couple notes. The Ashford Temps are official temps.

1980M01 12.5
    1981M01 13.5
    1982M01 13.2
    1983M01 14.2
    1984M01 13.2
    1985M01 12.5
    1986M01 13
    1987M01 12
    1988M01 13.9
    1989M01 13.9
    1990M01 14.3
    1991M01 13.2
    1992M01 13.5
    1993M01 14.8
    1994M01 12.7
    1995M01 13
    1996M01 13.4
    1997M01 13.8
    1998M01 16.5
    1999M01 13.1
    2000M01 13
    2001M01 12.1 12.7C recorded at Johnstown Castle Co. Wexford.
    2002M01 14.4 14.7C at Ashford Co. Wicklow
    2003M01 16.1 17.8C at Ashford Co. Wicklow
    2004M01 13.2 13.8C at Ashford Co. Wicklow
    2005M01 14 14.4C at Ashford Co. Wicklow

Darn you 2001 :D:D:D

I like the look of that 12z (Midday) chart - http://members.boards.ie/man/Rtavn2402.png = Below -10 air all over Ireland, means a maximum temperature of -3c to 1c all over Ireland at midday on Saturday Jan 28th.

Notice how there is a squeeze on the isobars (white lines more packed together) out over The Netherlands (Holland), should indicate an organised area of snow or possibly a front. Like the even colder pool up wind fron Denmark into Finland (purple colours)

I hope that the low pressure over NW Italy does not throw up too much warm air into the flow over southern Poland... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Good lord, 17.8C in 2003 , didn't think it that high had been reached in January before, thought it was around 17.1C or so !!

Regarding the ensembles..so very tempting to go nuts and get excited, however its is still in FI truth be told, but unquestionably the potential is there as the cold air is already in eastern europe as can be seen on http://www.uni-koeln.de/math-nat-fak/geomet/meteo/winfos/synNNWWarctis.gif

Last year those dark purple temperatures were nowhere near europe all winter (I check that site pretty much daily throughout the year) even in the coldish spell near the end of Febuary..if the same synoptics were to happen..well a prelonged '87 may well be on the cards.

But its too far way to really get excited here, synoptics just like this happen every year and don't come off (and if they do just lead to weather like a few weeks ago in the last easterly)..difference this year is if they do..the cold air is well and truely established already so plenty of cold to tap into early.

Feet on the ground still..eyes glued to the model runs..this could be the big one !!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Earthman wrote:
    My apologies Felix

Oslo is not as cold as other parts of Norway at the moment though it is near freezing and it will more than likely join the rest of Europe soon in major sub zero land
    It's currently -4c

http://www.weatherunderground.com/global/NO.html

Near enough to freezing will do me fine, the dilemma is more what I may miss here!

@Longfield

The january 87 spell went on for a week(I know you suggested it was only 4 days or so before, I am certain it was a week)
    Snow showers from the Irish sea first that settled well in Dublin to about an inch or two.
    I lived in Ballinteer at the time and remember going up there on the 48A and the snow as you headed that direction just got deeper and deeper
    4 or 5 inches there compared to the 2 at Ranelagh.
    By Thursday a front moved down from the North East dumping another 4 inches in the Ranelagh/Donnybrook area and in town with up to 8 inches or more around Ballinteer, the Grange and more still up around Lamb Doyles.
    There was a rapid thaw at the weekend as the spell ended.
    Curiously as I remember it, the thaw moved from North to south as I went back to Arklow on the friday and back to Dublin on the sunday and we still had lots of snow whilst the Dublin stuff had mostly melted.
    But then there were drifts a couple of feet down in wicklow so they did actually have a lot more snow.
    Gone everywhere with rain I think on monday though.

(I remember snow like an elephant :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Uh oh, the press are at it.....was anyone watching Sky News a few minutes ago? They were showing the headlines of tomorrow's UK papers and it looked like their the mail or express with RUSSIAN WINTER SET TO INVADE NEXT WEEK or something, in the usual size one thousand bold bombasti-font.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Oh no.. oh please God no.

I love snow, absolutely love it but I am due a baby in 11 days time... please tell me... how likely is this snow to arrive? I'm in County Louth.... the idea of snow on the roads and me trying to get to the hospital... Holy Lord, please tell me ye're messing :s

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement