Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good but different Fonts to use on content pages ....

Options
  • 17-01-2006 7:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

.... and also Buttons etc.

Times New Roman and Verdana seem to be the most common but they kinda bore me. I suppose the main trick is finding something nice but not too uncommon that they wont be on most systems.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I like Garamond. Especially in italics... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Garamond is my choice, but Arial narrow is nice too

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

peckerhead wrote:
    I like Garamond. Especially in italics... :)

LOL ..... Just saw your site limmy.com. I see your musically talented as well as having a good eye for colour!!!

My favourite combo has to be light blue, pink, yello, green, dark blue :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

your site limmy.com...

Not mine, I hasten to clarify! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

nipplenuts wrote:
    Garamond is my choice, but Arial narrow is nice too

I take it that was a pisstake?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

i tend to lean towards tahoma font

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

A good way to test the appearance of fonts is to use Typetester. You should make note of the safe list (i.e. the fonts that will work on any system):

Arial
    Arial Black
    Comic Sans MS
    Courier New
    Georgia
    Impact
    Times New Roman
    Trebuchet MS
    Verdana

Also, if you are looking just to change what the header font looks like, you should try sIFR. You can read about how it works and see some good examples of what it can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I find Times New Roman one of the ugliest fonts to look at, for some reason it always makes a site look like a real "beginner" one whenever I see it being used.

Serif fonts do not look good under 12 points, and are really best suited for print, not web. Having said that, serif fonts are easier for dyslexic people as it is easier to tell the difference between similar looking characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭cognos

I like Comic Sans MS. Especially in bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Serbian wrote:
    (i.e. the fonts that will work on any system):
    *blinks*

There aren't any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

rsynnott wrote:
    *blinks*

There aren't any.

Fair enough, but according to EchoEcho, the fonts listed above will work on 94% of all systems on the web. I'd imagine the people who use Operating Systems that don't support Verdana or Times New Roman would be well used to it anyway :p.

Advertisement