Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Remote Central Locking

Options
  • 17-01-2006 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I have a 96 three door civic with Remote Central Locking, well it had Remote Central Locking!!! Stupidly I let the battery in the remote die about two months ago and only replaced it now. I have read that leaving it go this long causes the remote to not work anymore. Is there any way the remote can be reprogrammed by me or does it involve me going back to a Honda garage??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Well the 96 Remote Central Locking is IR based and the transmitter is actually tied to the car (or more specifically the ECU) as such it doesn't "lose" its coding when the battery dies. Are you sure it's actually transmitting something? (if you have an IR feature on a digital camera this can be used to check)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

jayok wrote:
    Well the 96 Remote Central Locking is IR based and the transmitter is actually tied to the car (or more specifically the ECU) as such it doesn't "lose" its coding when the battery dies. Are you sure it's actually transmitting something? (if you have an IR feature on a digital camera this can be used to check)
    How can I check it on a camera??

Well I don't know if you have a digital camera with IR mode (i.e. takes shots in the dark). If you do just press the button and take a photo if you see green lights - you've got IR. You could also try the old contention test with another IR device such as your TV transmitter - i.e. place the Civic transmitter in front of and near the TV and press the button at the same time try the TV's transmitter. If you cannot change channel both devices are transmitting (as there's garbled IR signals). If you can chances are the transmitter is not doing the business.

Beyond these simple tests, you would need to get yourself an IR detection device. I have one but not much good without the transmitter! :D

I too have the remote transmitter for the Civic and didn't use for years, but put in a new battery and off it went again. So I think it might be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

rebellad wrote:
    I have a 96 three door civic with Remote Central Locking, well it had Remote Central Locking!!! Stupidly I let the battery in the remote die about two months ago and only replaced it now. I have read that leaving it go this long causes the remote to not work anymore. Is there any way the remote can be reprogrammed by me or does it involve me going back to a Honda garage??

The remote control in the key might need to be reset with the imobiliser in the car. Have no idea on how to do this, a Honda dealer may be able to help you. No harm in ringing one to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

i seen info about programing remote controls for civic 01-02 without diagnostic equipment on HondaDublin.com but not sure about your 96 model

you can ask somebody there anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

So does anyone know where I could pick up one of these transmitters on the cheap or is it a case of going to Honda??

rebellad wrote:
    So does anyone know where I could pick up one of these transmitters on the cheap or is it a case of going to Honda??

Nope for picking one up cheaply - the transmitter is tied to the ECU. If you want to get this replaced you will need to program the ECU with the new code for the IR transmitter. Not sure how to do this but I will root out the Honda Service Manual for you and check.

Here is the page from the manual.

Advertisement