Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Mile- Ardagh Mast (Longford/Westmeath)

• 17-01-2006 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I was telling my parents about Broadband and VoIP, as I have it in Drogheda in my place and they were very interested.
    They asked me to look into what their options might be.
    The one drawback, however, is that they're in the sticks and the only option is Last Mile.
    I talked to Last Mile and Ardagh is the mast we'd work off.
    Is anybody here operating off the Ardagh mast ? And if so, what it like with VoIP ?
    By the way, any suggestions for VoIP (with a landline number)? - I'm on Blueface and have had no problems....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Bumpity....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

I've been connected via the Ardagh mast for about 4 months now, works fine 99.9% of the time and i use skype with it quite frequently to call friends in NYC.

Had two downtimes in the period, which turned out to be due to a faulty transceiver at my house, which they replaced promptly.

The only negative thing that i would say about lastmile is that the price they charge is starting to look ridiculously high in comparison to the prices from every other BB provider. As a result, if any other service was available to me i would leave lastmile purely on value for money grounds.

Hope this helps.

Regards

XDA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Excellent ! That's just what I wanted to hear really.
    My parents are paying over 100 Yoy-Yos every 2 months to Eircom for calls/line rental. For this money thet could have Blueface Unlimited UK & Ireland Landline calls and a BB Connection.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AgainTheTime

XDA wrote:
    The only negative thing that i would say about lastmile is that the price they charge is starting to look ridiculously high in comparison to the prices from every other BB provider. As a result, if any other service was available to me i would leave lastmile purely on value for money grounds.
    Yeah, a friend of mine near Kinnegad is looking to get broadband, he wants to get wireless so that he can drop his phoneline and use VOIP. LastMile are charging €39.99p.m. for a 512/128k service however he recently found out that Kinnegad now has DSL and eircom are doing 1MB/128k for €54 (€30 + €24 line rental). If he was to get a 1Mb service with Last Mile it woudl cost €119!

Its even more apparent when you factor in the free eircom speed increases that are due in the next few weeks: 1MB/128 -> 2Mb/256k.

He doesn't want to go with eircom but he can't find a reason to go with Last Mile at their curretn prices and speeds.

AgainTheTime

Advertisement