Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercises for getting back into guitar

Options
  • 17-01-2006 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

Hey, I played guitar for about 5 or so years, but haven't played in about a year, recently got a microcube which has made it possible for me to play guitar again without an almighty amount of hassle. Anyways I thought it would be like riding a bike, but my fingers are like jelly when it comes to playing lead/difficult riffs etc.

So is there any exercises I could practice for both my fretting and Picking hands that would help ease my way back into things?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Good ol chromatic exercises should help get you nimble and improve finger and hand co-ordination.

For example, decicate one finger to each fret, eg, first finger - first fret, middle finger - second fret, ring finger - third fret and little finger - fourth fret.

Play on the low E string 1 2 3 4 (first, middle, ring, little) then move to the A string and repeat, D string etc.

Try it backwards, 4 3 2 1 and again move across the strings.

When you're comfortable with that try 1 3 2 4 (first, ring, middle, little) and again across the strings.

Also, on low E - 1 2 3 4, A - 2 3 4 5, D - 3 4 5 6, etc (keeping the one finger to a fret rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

yea chromatics will get your ifnger independance and strength back.. ...i see so many guitarists that hardly ever use their pinky... but yeal a gauge higher strings to practice on, so when u get back to normal strings it will be easier... chromatics, chords even simple excercises u make up... just keep at it and use a metranome... some theory would help too

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Use one finger per fret, index on 1, second on 2, middle on 3, pinky on 4... do the following:

Low E: 1 2
    A 1 2
    D 1 2 .... etc... all the way across and back on the neck.

Then move to

Low E: 2 3
    A 2 3
    D 2 3 .... etc... all the way across and back on the neck.

Then move to

Low E: 3 4
    A 3 4
    D 3 4 .... etc... all the way across and back on the neck. This one is great for pinky independance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

these are great chromatic ones... great for finger independance.... especially that pinky... not enough people utilise it and get it nice and independant... legatto excercises are great for finger independace...

E-1-2-3-4
    A
    2-3-4-1
    D
    3-4-1-2
    G
    4-1-2-3
    B
    1-2-3-4
    E
    2-3-4-1-

E-1-3-2-4
    A
    1-3-2-4
    D
    1-3-2-4
    G
    1-3-2-4
    B
    1-3-2-4
    E
    1-3-2-4

mix em up...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

-=al=- wrote:
    great for finger independance.... especially that pinky... not enough people utilise it

Nothing more satisfying that a good whole tone pinky bend whilst waving the other 3 fingers and thumb at the crowd.

Pinky should be compulsary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement