Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Guarantee

Options
  • 17-01-2006 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Help - I bought Swatch watch for my young daughter in at the end of August last year from a small family owned jewellers.By end October it had stopped working, didn't keep time at all, so I took it back to the jewellers to have the battery replaced, which they did free of charge.

A fortnight later it still was about 6 hours slow, so I returned it and they said it must be faulty,they would return it to Swatch for repair.All this with the assumption that the watch was under guarantee for a year.

We have just had the watch back- it works fine.My husband collected it and then said he had paid an extra €10 for a new wrist strap. I went back to the jeweller and explained that I was annoyed at having had to pay a tenner for a new strap when the old one was fine - it was just the actual watch that wasn't working.I was then informed that Swatch do not repair - they replace, so I actually had a brand new watch, and they had had been charged for a new strap so the cost had been passed on to me as the guarantee covers only the mechanism and not the strap!!!

Ridiculous I know but ....... I then pointed out that as the watch was *brand new* I needed a new guarantee from that days date, and they refused saying the guarantee was from the date of purchase of the original watch.

The woman in the shop has really really pissed me off, and I'd like to know where I stand! Is there a trading standards office I can contact??Seems totally wrong to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

as far as I can see, you shouldn't have to pay for the strap .. the shop should probably only sent the watch part back to Swatch.

With regards to the new warranty, even if it is a new watch you are still only entitled to a 12 month warranty from the original date of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I don't know about the strap part, but your guarantee is for 12 months from purchase, so the new watch has how ever long left from the original one. This is common practice and is not just true in watch sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

You were screwed.
    The reason you were screwed is because you were taken in by the "Guarantee" bullsh!t.
    Guarantees rarely offer any protection beyond the statutory consumer rights that shops have to adhere to by law and more often they are used as a reason not to give consumers what they are legally entitled to.

In this case you would have legally been entitled to a replacement, repair or full refund with no additional cost to you.

Advertisement