Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

protecting hair while straightening

• 17-01-2006 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

hey everyone...just wondering if ye have any recomendations of something to use to protect hair whie using hair straighteners? im thinking of buying some straighteners, but want to know what product to use also to protect my hair. while im at it, if anyone has recomendations for a hair straightener also that would be great, dont want a ghd cos its too expensive and i only plan on using it once a week max. thx, zenzen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I always use the charles worthington products-its a yellow spray and you can get it in boots!REally good stuff-smells great and protects v.well

GHD iron oil totally recomended its brilliant leaves your hair with a complete shine
    and looking healthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

theres a really good flat iron heat defense spray by toni&guy which ya can get in boots that i use.... its really good and it smells fab!

Actually you should try boots and have a gawk at whats on offer i remember seein loads a different types last time i was there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

I love the GHD spray mist Its amazing. I also love John Friedas Frizz Ease products I find theyre amazing and I get compliments every day about my hair"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

GHD iron oil totally recomended its brilliant leaves your hair with a complete shine
    and looking healthy
    Yup have to agree with this one aswell. There is a good selection of straightners in Argos, just make sure they are ceramic and go for the thin plates rather than wide plates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

heya, thanks for the info! where do you get the ghd hair oil and how much is it? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Ghd hair oil is definately the best, i dint know how much it is on its own, it comes with the straightners. id reccommend the new remmington straighner, i got it for christmas and find its almost as good as a ghd! gets my hair perfectly straight even when its quite wavy and heats up quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

the ghd website usually has good offers on ghd products, ghdhair.com. Or my local toni and guy stock it so i suppose all should. Think its available in Boots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

GHD iron oil is the best. If you spray it on your hand and hold hot hair dryer air over it you cant feel the heat!! Thats how it protects your hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My hair is ruined because of my GHD and the GHD iron oil didnt help. I dont use it that often (at weekends only) and I recently reverted to using Charles Worthington spray(in a blue bottle) and it doesnt appear to be working either. Anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭madbabe(",)

GHD oil is good it helps to get your hair really straight as well toni and guy is good too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

Nightwish wrote:
    My hair is ruined because of my GHD and the GHD iron oil didnt help. I dont use it that often (at weekends only) and I recently reverted to using Charles Worthington spray(in a blue bottle) and it doesnt appear to be working either. Anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

I have a Remington straightner and like yourself only use it once a week with Treseme protector - my hair is so dry and frizzy it's unreal... Any ideas on what else I could try? Have used John Freda aswell to no joy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bstatic

I'm a guy and I recently got a staightener before christmas, I also have dry and frizzy hair and I use the straightener every time I shampoo so thats every 2-3 days, is that crazy I mean to use it so often? I find that when I use the tresemme heat protector it stops the effectiveness of the staightener, is there any of the protectors that you've mentioned that protect your hair but still give the same effect from the straightener after one run through the hair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Bstatic wrote:
    I'm a guy and I recently got a staightener before christmas, I also have dry and frizzy hair and I use the straightener every time I shampoo so thats every 2-3 days, is that crazy I mean to use it so often? I find that when I use the tresemme heat protector it stops the effectiveness of the staightener, is there any of the protectors that you've mentioned that protect your hair but still give the same effect from the straightener after one run through the hair?
    i def don think yer mad.. when i straighten my hair i go over it every day to make sure all the kinks are out.. call me crazy but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

how expensive are these protectors? are they not kind of ironed into the hair.. I usually avoid putting any product on my hair as I feel like I'm burning it on! then I use serum after.. not the right way to do it?!

well i dont know the right way to do it but i have wet to straight hair straighteners so i put in dove deep conditioning cream before i straighten then either serum or trevor sorbe 'goop' after straightening to make sure it stays straight!, the only downside i know of is that your hair gets greesy quite quickly!

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

is the wet to straight straightener any good??

Scraggs wrote:
    is the wet to straight straightener any good??
    yea.. i think there really handy coz you dont have to dry AND straighten your hair.. i think that there better for your hair too coz the water is getting evaporated off instead of it & the nutrients in your hair getting blown away! if you have a fringe/side fringe than i'd recommend the thin ones as i have a fringe & the thick ones & i cant use them for my fringe cause it doesnt curve round properly or something like that!..

~PlayGirl~ :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bstatic

Cork_girl wrote:
    how expensive are these protectors? are they not kind of ironed into the hair.. I usually avoid putting any product on my hair as I feel like I'm burning it on! then I use serum after.. not the right way to do it?!

The protector I'm talking about is a spray called "tresemme heat defence styling spray", it was only about 5 euro or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Bstatic wrote:
    The protector I'm talking about is a spray called "tresemme heat defence styling spray", it was only about 5 euro or so.
    cheers thanks Bstatic.. think I'll be checking that out;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

The wet-to-straight isnt great ghd is the best tbh

Nightwish - ghd oil is the best thing to use to protect your hair when using straighteners. Ive very long hair and use straighteners a lot so every 6 weeks I get the hair dresser to give me a 'L'Oreal Ineral Optimal' Treatment. peter Marks do it its 25 euro but so well spent its basically pure protein and makes your hair super strong. It has really worked on my hair. if thats out of budget Another fantastic treatment is redken 'fuel' it comes in 5 sachets for about 16 euro and you can use it yourself at home you can buy it on www.hqhair.com the other treatments arent much good cos most of em soften or condition the hair where as these are protein and strengthen your hair you can even feel it after. 2 years ago my hair was v thin and I had a good bit of it chopped. Now I use those treatments every 6 weeks and get it trimmed. When I wash it I put in 'Redken Anti Snap (stops your hair getting damaged when you dry/style/straighten it) when its wet followed by the ghd oil and it look sgrand. If im wearing my hair back I just straighten the front of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

i used the charles worthington (yellow bottle) spray as well, found it grand, as my hair is fine/flyaway, so i have to use something on it to smooth it. i recently bought a spray, boots brand, blue bottle, which ive found as good for my hair. i have kodo straighteners, think they're a cheaper version of ghds, but i have them three years, and they do the trick. then again i have fine hair, which is pretty easy to stragihten. i spray the spray on my wet hair, dry it, then stragithen it, then use the spray to smooth my hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

The GHD oil is definatly the best!!! There is another one that I got before aswell and I can't think of the name but it was really good too.... Parrif or something it was called!! :confused:
    Anyhewww, I wash blow dry and straighten my hair every day and my hair is in great condition!! I'm not sure whether it is down to the ghd oil or whether I just have strong hair because I have never not used the oils!!

Advertisement