Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Control "relay" device required

Options
  • 17-01-2006 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Can anyone advise where in Dublin (or on the web) I can purchase a Remote Control IR “relay” type device ( i.e. relays the signal from a remote control used in one room to another room where the device of interest is?)

As we are undergoing renovations it can be wired or wireless.

Also, anyone know what the “remote in” connection is for on AV equipment. I am purchasing Yamaha RX-V2600 and it has such a connection, but manual is less than helpful..

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

What kind of device do you want to control remotly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 GerryA

Primarily Yamaha RX-V2600. It has multi zone capability, 2 x remote controls.... but something is needed to relay the IR signal

http://www.yamaha-uk.com/av_amps_receivers/?product_id=121

Thanks for these suggestions. I am aiming to keep this as simple as possible ( age, children etc) so I will throw in a few extra CAT 5 cables from AV location to likely location of IR reciever and sort it out in due course. I had found Xantech on the web, but could I hell figure out what the right parts might be ( probably says more about me than Xantech)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

For the IR relay stuff, have a look at Xantech. Best to buy the stuff online, as it's a bit pricey, but it works a treat. CAT5 is yer only man for carrying the signal around the house. Otherwise, the wireless ones work ok sometimes, if you don't have lots of RF interference in your home. The only real way to find out is to try it! RF remote senders are cheap. Get them in Argos for example.

The IR input on the Yamaha is usually used as part of an IR loop using RCA cables between Yamaha pieces of equipment. For instance, you'd go from the IR out of the amp, into the DVD player - then another lead from IR out of DVD into IR in on your tuner for example. Then out of the tuner back into the amp to complete the loop. So one Yamaha remote does the lot for you (which it already does anyway). The only real use is you can press the power button on any of the components and everything switches on or off. Bit useless overall, particularly if you have a macro remote that does it all for you.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

http://www.oneforall-int.com/english/products/soundvision/sv-1000_1700.htm

Something like the above perhaps? A wireless remote extender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I have CAT 5 around my house but what do I need for it to carry/catch the signal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Ok well if you go the Xantech route, you'd need 4 things - an IR receiver, a connecting block, a power supply and an IR emitter. Something like this bundle has everything you need in it, but you can get different IR receivers to suit your decor.

So you would connect the IR receiver to 4 cores of your CAT5, the other end of the CAT5 into the connector block which would be near your main AV equipment, and then IR emitters coming from the connecting block to each piece of AV equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

GerryA wrote:
    Also, anyone know what the “remote in” connection is for on AV equipment.
    Looking into this amp myself.

My reading of the manual that I downloaded a while back, is that if you have a IR reciever that converts the IR into electrical signals, you can run this into the back of the amp. If you are using the DVD remote for example, the electrical signal can be sent out from the "Remote Out" prot to an IR emmitter which will send the signal to the other equipment.

Your best bet is to have a read of avforums remote controls and home automation forums. I was looking this up recently and there are quite a few suggestions there from expensive kits to DIY jobs. I have also found one system based on X10 but I don't know if it will work over here.

What the others suggested about the kit is probably the easiest way to go.

When/where are you getting the amp by the way?

L.

nereid, re Yamaha choice
    Buying in Peats, Parnell st. Hoped to get today but up to my eyes, so probably next week. I listed to it there and had intended to buy but was not overwhelmed on music performance, but I blame the Yamaha speakers, so got cold feet. It's for a house I have not moved into yet so no real panic for a few weeks but they have a sale on...
    Any suggestions for compact yet "musical" front speakers. I have built high quality JBL HTI 6" into rear wall for surrond, and also some jbl ceiling for other zone. Thinking B&W CM1
    http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.ranges/label/Range%20CM%20Series
    I have B&W CDM2 for 10 years and am more than pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Regarding small speakers, I have heard these Monitor Audio in a friend's house. He was using them as rears though, but there is a cracking sound out of them. However, having been reading AVForums, there seem to be a lot of people there using B&W's with the 2600 so they might be a better bet.

Have you space for a set of floorstanders for your fronts? If you were concerned for stereo sound, this might be a consideration as floorstanders will provide more volume. But then again those B&W specs are pretty good, it really depends on space.

Re the 2600 in Peats, When were you in listening to it? The last I heard (before Christmas) they told me they were waiting for it but had no idea when it was coming in stock. Also, what price is it in there?

I listened to the 4600 there all right (they had it with the big Yamaha speakers) and it was good for movies but I never heard the stereo/cd audio from it. I believe the 4600 and 2600 are quite similar sound wise anyway.

L.

Yep, I have thought about these also, but chances of a listen in Dublin are poor.
    v2600 is in stock last week, on sale @ Eu1299 I think (from Eu1500). Seems not unreasonable.
    These speakers will need to be childproof as the kevlar cones on existing B&W hold a great facination for kids, so small will allow possible shelf install (it's a family room, so general purpose movies & music)

I thought the big yamaha speakers were very boomy at low end, and they sounded like speakers(!!!) not "real".

Just checked with Clooney audio. The B&W cm1 are Eu799/pair

Re Xantech, http://www.letsautomate.com/ appears a reasonable source in the UK.
    Anyone got any exerience of these?

• Advertisement
Advertisement