Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun astethetics

Options
  • 17-01-2006 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Which do ye think looks better ,more functional ,better in any other scence:cool:
    1 wood vs synthetic
    2 blued vs nickle plated
    3 Short barrel vs long barrel

or any other variations

Would ye give reasons
    Tanx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I like them all ..:)

Seriously though..
    It really depends on what they are used for.

A real nice walnut stock with fine checkering and deep blued iron is a thing of beauty,
    On the other hand , If you are planning to do some rough shooting where a gun may get scraped , dented and get very wet ..

it's hard to beat an all-weather stock with a more resistant barrel type for peace of mind .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

1. Wood
    2. Blued
    3. Long Barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

1) Senthetic
    2) Stainless-Fluted
    3) Long Barrell not under 26"

Example. Remington 700 VSSF:cool:

1) Senthetic
    2) Stainless-Fluted

Reasons: 1) Its 95% Rust free
    2) Senthetic stock is light compard to wood
    3) Fluted Barrell helps barrell cool faster therefor you can shoot
    more rounds in faster sucsesion.
    4) Longer barrell = faster twist rate 1 1/4 - 1 3/4 twist rate and
    bullet stableizes better and acuracy is greatly improved the
    heaver the bullet 130g + the greater twist rate it needs to
    stableize. the fast rounds eg. 220swift .223 and 30.06 up to
    .308win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Kind of a how long is a piece of string?question.Best answerd by horses for courses.
    You didnt specify what type of "gun" Shotgun rifle,handgun? What type of shooting,and where?
    If I was living in a costal area or on a boat or very high humidity.Everything in stainless steel or marine moly coat.
    If you are going to be gunking around mud,brush out in all weather,go for SS and plastic things.If you are going to very upperclass shoots ,blue and wood.
    I like them all.Just using the correct one for the job is the major choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

TomBeckett wrote:
    1) Senthetic
    2) Stainless-Fluted

What, like my new pet (almost)?-
    rem700lvsf2238ok.jpg

It's a Model 700 LVSF (Light Varmint Stainless Fluted) in .223Rem.
    More detail here- http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_LV_SF.asp

I picked it for its 'weather proof' nature, light weight, and the availability of ammunition in every permutation of price/quality/type known to man.
    As a 'walking around gun,' I love the fact that it doesn't mind the rain and I don't have to agonise about the weather before I take it for a walk.

Just for the record, I applied for the licence on November 21st (2005), and I got the approval letter last Monday (January 16, 2006). Approximately eight weeks; not bad I suppose, especially as Christmas fell in the middle of it.
    Portlaoise Garda Station, if anyone's interested.

Needless to say, I had it in my sweaty grasp by the middle of Monday afternoon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

scout wrote:
    1 wood vs synthetic
    Aluminium.
    2 blued vs nickle plated
    Blued.
    3 Short barrel vs long barrel
    Long bull barrel.

56.jpg

post for Rovi
    Nice weapon!!:D
    I have two Remi 700's both Vssf s one in .220swift and one in .308win
    i love them:D only thing is with the heavy barrell the are heavy!
    question for you where did you get the stainless rings mine are metal and
    they are the only thing on the gun that tends to rust:eek: also what kind of scope you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

Ok to asswera few questions:
    rabbit with a .22lr
    Is SS much heavyer then MS cost of SS
    Fairly messy not a shoes ocasion
    What happens when you scratch the electroplated off ?
    How damagable are the synthetic stocks

Spark i said gun not pea shoter:D :D:D (joke);)
    Would'nt brind that near a field .It would be like getting av Bijon Frise and going ratting;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Pea shooter? That's my .22lr scout :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

TomBeckett wrote:
    I have two Remi 700's both Vssf s one in .220swift and one in .308win
    Sweeeeet! :D
    TomBeckett wrote:
    question for you where did you get the stainless rings mine are metal and they are the only thing on the gun that tends to rust:eek: also what kind of scope you got?
    They're a set of nickel plated Burris mounts that came with the rifle. V. nice and solid!

The scope is an old Kassnar 4x40 fixed-power wide-angle job I've had for ages. I fitted it to get me going, with the intention of replacing it with something fancier later on, but I find myself growing to like it.
    It fits nicely with the 'simple and tough' ethos of the rifle and its intended use.

To Rovi
    Yeah nice one I have Two Schmidt & Benders on mine they are an excellent scope espically an dusk.
    Cheers for that Gene Murphy in shootin and fishen in waterford is a good mate of mine i must ask him about the Burris rings:)
    anyone up your area interested in joining a pistol club wrer trying to get one set up down here. wrer finding it hard to get insurance at the moment and 10 members is the minimum to get started or is there much interest in pistols here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

What happens when you scratch the electroplated off ?
    How damagable are the synthetic stocks

Pretty tough to scrape off.Will corrode around the breach of the chromed area.
    You would really have to be abusing the rifle
    All military rifles are nowadays syntetic stocks.And they will take more horrible abuse than anything a hunter will dish out in a life time.Short of trying to use it as a jack handle for a truck.I cant see how you would destroy a SS and syn stocked rifle.Apart from totally imersing it for two weeks in salt water or chemicals or some totally out of the way abuse.

Advertisement