Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride parade

Options
  • 17-01-2006 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hey...
    Anyone know what date the parade is on in 2006?
    I emailed the pride website but no one mailed me back.

ta!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Why is there no 'straight' parade?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Cantab. wrote:
    Because you haven't bothered to organise it yet?

or maybe because every other parade going is automatically assumed 'straight'? (as someone said on another thread -- Paddys Day is coming up.. that's fairly 'straight', is it not?).

OP :: sorry, don't know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Cantab. wrote:

Because people were never discriminated against, spat on, jailed, beaten, stabbed and killed in Ireland just because they were attracted to the opposite sex. 10 short years ago it was illegal to be gay and those things I mentioned actually happened.

Becase when straight you don't fear getting kicked out of home for telling your folks you like people of the opposite sex. There are guys and girls going to bed every night in Ireland worried about telling their parents that they're gay and not knowing that when they tell them how they'll react. I still have friends who have moved out of home first and then told their parents.

Because you don't have a state who says it doesn't recognize your relationship with your partner so that if your partner gets sick and his family doesn't like you, you are not allowed see him in the hospital and if he dies they get all the assets including the family home unless he wills it to you. If he does will it to you the state taxes you to remain living in your family home which you both built. Gay people live in such a state.

Because the suicide rate amongst straight people while high is nothing compared to that of gay people. You don't live in a society that subtely wears you down day in and day out and reminds you that you are an abhorance to nature because of who you love. This continuous reminder gets to some people and I'm sure is quite a contributory factor as to why so many young gay men kill themselves.

Because young straight people can enjoy and explore their sexuality and openly discuss who they fancy and who'd they'd shag. Not so with young gay people.

For those reasons and more there is a call once a year for gay people to have a parade and let each other know and the world that they are proud of who they are and they are proud of those that were beaten, tortured and killed to get us the limited rights we have now and that there is still a bit to go.

And because it makes gay people seen. Invisible people have invisible rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

damien.m wrote:
    Because people were never discriminated against, spat on, jailed, beaten, stabbed and killed in Ireland just because they were attracted to the opposite sex. 10 short years ago it was illegal to be gay and those things I mentioned actually happened.

Becase when straight you don't fear getting kicked out of home for telling your folks you like people of the opposite sex. There are guys and girls going to bed every night in Ireland worried about telling their parents that they're gay and not knowing that when they tell them how they'll react. I still have friends who have moved out of home first and then told their parents.

Because you don't have a state who says it doesn't recognize your relationship with your partner so that if your partner gets sick and his family doesn't like you, you are not allowed see him in the hospital and if he dies they get all the assets including the family home unless he wills it to you. If he does will it to you the state taxes you to remain living in your family home which you both built. Gay people live in such a state.

Because the suicide rate amongst straight people while high is nothing compared to that of gay people. You don't live in a society that subtely wears you down day in and day out and reminds you that you are an abhorance to nature because of who you love. This continuous reminder gets to some people and I'm sure is quite a contributory factor as to why so many young gay men kill themselves.

Because young straight people can enjoy and explore their sexuality and openly discuss who they fancy and who'd they'd shag. Not so with young gay people.

For those reasons and more there is a call once a year for gay people to have a parade and let each other know and the world that they are proud of who they are and they are proud of those that were beaten, tortured and killed to get us the limited rights we have now and that there is still a bit to go.

And because it makes gay people seen. Invisible people have invisible rights.
    Nice reply :)

OP, its usually mid / late june

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

Some good points damien, I still don't see the need for a parade about having sex with a man. But the thing that annoys me most is the put-on campness.

I had a row with a friend of mine, who happens to be gay. when I light heartdly suggested that being gay may be a hormome imbalance, which would explain the femminine campness and lisp which loads of gay men seem to have for some reason, he went mad and said this was not the case.

I then said that the campness and lisp must be a put on, which does not help if you want people to take you seriously.

Hope I'm not offending anyone here, It's just somthing I have often wondered about.

Any thougts?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say most gay men are like that at all, its only unfortunate a loud minority draw a lot of attention onto themselves which gives that impression, I would also like to point out I have no issue with guys or gals behaving in that manner, some friends of mine do in fact, the majority of them are just having a laugh. :)

wbailey wrote:
    Some good points damien, I still don't see the need for a parade about having sex with a man.

It probably will be if you can't understand why gay people feel marginalised. Ever read any books on anthropology or culture? It is well known that one cannot fully study or fully comprehend the culture of a group when you are an outsider. You bring too much weight and prior experience and different ways of viewing and understanding things. A culture needs to support itself and to recognize itself and to feel good about itself and reassure itself. Pride parades are one way.

But the thing that annoys me most is the put-on campness.
    God damn. Why is that guy so black? I bet he's blackening his skin on purpose. Why does he dress like that? What's with the way he speaks and all that slang? What's with the feigned limp when he walks? God, why can't black people be more like us?

You'd never say that right?
    when I light heartdly suggested that being gay may be a hormome imbalance, which would explain the femminine campness and lisp which loads of gay men seem to have for some reason, he went mad and said this was not the case.

A friend of yours got upset when you told him he was a freak of nature, that his sexuality was a physical imperfection? Telling someone you think there's something wrong with them might just upset them.
    I then said that the campness and lisp must be a put on, which does not help if you want people to take you seriously.
    Why don't you **** behave more like white people? How can you ever be taken seriously if you don't behave the way I'd like you to behave because your differences scare me and make me uneasy. Be good **** and act white.

You wouldn't say that either would you? Is it begining to sink in for you?

Hope I'm not offending anyone here, It's just somthing I have often wondered about.

I don't take offense because you seem to want to learn and see another viewpoint. However if after a while of seeking knowledge you are of the same viewpoint and think the same, then you will offend me but your right to hold an opinion will not offend me.

azezil wrote:
    Iits only unfortunate a loud minority draw a lot of attention onto themselves which gives that impression,

I would also like to point out I have no issue with guys or gals behaving in that manner

The above two statements contradict each other. If you have no issue with camp men then why is it unfortunate they exist and why are you distinguishing them from yourself, or whoever you think is the normal gay man, by calling them a vocal minority?

I didn't say I find it unfortunate they exist, what I intended to convey, and admittedly I did it poorly, is that the perception of gay men (from what I’ve seen from my own life experience) by people who haven't had much if any exposure to gay culture, is one of a, limp wristed, high pitched feminine character, which in my view really isn’t a fair representation of all gay men.

damien.m wrote:
    It probably will be if you can't understand why gay people feel marginalised. Ever read any books on anthropology or culture? It is well known that one cannot fully study or fully comprehend the culture of a group when you are an outsider. You bring too much weight and prior experience and different ways of viewing and understanding things. A culture needs to support itself and to recognize itself and to feel good about itself and reassure itself. Pride parades are one way.

You'd never say that right?

A friend of yours got upset when you told him he was a freak of nature, that his sexuality was a physical imperfection? Telling someone you think there's something wrong with them might just upset them.

You wouldn't say that either would you? Is it begining to sink in for you?

I don't take offense because you seem to want to learn and see another viewpoint. However if after a while of seeking knowledge you are of the same viewpoint and think the same, then you will offend me but your right to hold an opinion will not offend me.

Thanks for the input damien, but I don't know where you got all the other quotes from

• Advertisement

I was giving examples of hypothetical situations. I replaced what you were saying about gay people with things people say about black people and asking you to see that they were quite alike and then asking you would you say the same about someone of darker skin.

thanks damien. But my point was not about 'Why gay/blacks should behave like straight/white people'

I was just wondering how/why gay people have lisps, and act camp.

Again, apologies if I am insulting anyone, feel free to delete the thread, but im actually just curious.

Thanks.

You could have phrased it a lot better than.

Some are camp because they just are for reasons yet to be fully qualified. I know camp straight men who honestly one has to feel sorry for in a way as everyone assumes they're gay. It all I suppose goes back to gender and what are learned behaviours as a child. We assume that camp is wrong and maybe heterosexual males surpress it.

I do know that some gay males become camper when they figure out their sexuality. I think some do it as a way of making themselves noticed. Think of how hard it is for a guy to get a girls attention. Think how much harder it is for a guy to get another guys attention and then let him know he is gay and try and figure out is the other guy and without getting thumped. So maybe being camp and having awful gay hair is handier than handing out a business card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Some good points damien, I still don't see the need for a parade about having sex with a man.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I understand the need for a pride parade myself. Marches with some kind of specific purpose (in favour of civil unions or equal property rights or any of the many injustices you highlighted), yeah, that makes perfect sense. But a parade just to highlight the fact that gay people exist seems kinda...well, unnecessary. It's 2006. To quote a friend of mine, gay is the new black. Hell, half the shows on TV (including, to the best of my knowledge, every major soap opera) have or have had gay characters with prominent storylines - we're still a marginalised minority, but we're by no means invisible. In fact, there's an argument to be made that having a whole parade about how different we are isn't going to help get us the same status as everyone else. I dunno, a large part of this is me playing devil's advocate, but I'd genuinely like to hear more justification for the pride parade than "It makes us feel good as a culture", which itself is a fairly dubious argument, and one that makes me a little worried - anyone who relies on a parade each year to make them feel good about themselves needs to seriously re-examine things.

shay_562 wrote:
    and one that makes me a little worried - anyone who relies on a parade each year to make them feel good about themselves needs to seriously re-examine things.

Or maybe society needs to seriously re-examine why they need such a thing? In the current guise I'm not a fan of the pride parades and I've previously gone through the reasons here but I am in favour of gay pride. Nowadays there seems to be a non too subtle difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

wbailey wrote:

1) Women can be gay too.
    2) It's not a parade about having sex. Sex is not the same as Sexuality. For some, who they fuk has sweet fa to do with how they define their sexuality.
    But the thing that annoys me most is the put-on campness.
    The two campest guys I know, are red blooded Hetro's.
    I had a row with a friend of mine, who happens to be gay. when I light heartdly suggested that being gay may be a hormome imbalance, which would explain the femminine campness and lisp which loads of gay men seem to have for some reason, he went mad and said this was not the case.

1) Do you know loads of gay men?
    2) Do you know loads of gay men that are camp with lisps?

I do know loads of gay men, very few I would describe as camp, definitely none that "put-on" campness. Some men are camp, in the same way some men are big/short/smart/dumb...ect.

I watched the producers remark recently, and I really enjoyed all the gay parady, but films and the like are often a poor reflection on how things actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Goodshape wrote:
    Because you haven't bothered to organise it yet?

or maybe because every other parade going is automatically assumed 'straight'? (as someone said on another thread -- Paddys Day is coming up.. that's fairly 'straight', is it not?).

OP :: sorry, don't know :)

Gays not allowed in Paddys parade in America so definatly straight. At last straights are being recognised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 leo_watson357

Wow this got off-topic fast.
    Does this Cantab guy have nothing better to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Well I'm gay and I don't act camp at all. There are some straight fellas in my class who are camp - and are also David Beckham wannabes. They have the glittery earrings in both ears and the weird haircut which is bleached and all shaved at the sides and spiked on top and there are gay fellas who also dress like that and don't dress like that.

I remember a year ago I was involved in the production of "Fame - the musical" with SYMCO musical society. There were two camp fellas one was gay as he told me. I thought the other even more camper fella was gay but he was very straight as he was talking about shagging two girls in the front row of the audience and also had a girlfriend!

One word to describe some of the prejudiced attitudes is Stereotyping!

If you're wondering why there is Gay Pride Festivals go to my link also on the GLBT thread: Origins of Rainbow Flag and Gay Pride Festivals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dreh

Ok u talked a lot =p
    But when it´s going to happen the pride parade? :D

See ya!

• Advertisement
Advertisement