Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Far Do You Travel to UCD

Options
  • 17-01-2006 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Just a question that popped into my head. With my little motor in the garage im faced with the prospect of getting up at 6am to get two busses to UCD and ill probably end up just staying in bed in the morning. How far and how long does it take you to get to college?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I live in Balbriggan so it's 50 - 60 minutes on the train (depending on the time of morning) then off at connolly and wait for a bus which can take up to half an hour to get to ucd, again depending on the time of morning.

Sometimes the train from balbriggan goes all the way out to sydney parade so I get off there and walk to UCD, depending on the weather :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I couldn't tell you how far it is, but my route is:

Tallaght village - Templeogue - Terenure village - [17 route -- dunno where it goes through :p)] - BELFIELD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i travel from malahide. used to be hell when i didnt have a car but now its grand. nine o clock starts used to be tough tho (up at half six to leave my house for a quarter past seven to be for exactly nine). this semester i have no nine o clock starts though which is a god send!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I have a feeling you people are going to kill me, but it's a 15 minute walk from my house to the arts block...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I live about a half hour walk away, less if I walked quickly, from the Sci Building. Although I never walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I live beside the clonskeagh entrance to UCD - but if it makes you feel any better I spend about an hour and a half going to DCU every day and an hour and a half back!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Grimes wrote:
    With my little motor in the garage im faced with the prospect of getting up at 6am to get two busses to UCD and ill probably end up just staying in bed in the morning. How far and how long does it take you to get to college?

Welcome to my world except I don't have the motor at all and I get two buses starting from 7:45.

Oh the price one pays for being a Northsider and thus superior to everyone. (I'm sure this harmless sentence will cause no offence :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I live in Firhouse... if I get the 49 and 46A it takes about an hour and 20 minutes to get to college, but if I schedule it right and don't have any major waits it takes me 45 minutes to get in on the 75 and 17. That's rare though, because the 17 sucks ass. Though after nearly 4 years of the long haul every day you get kinda used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

I live in Blackrock so I cycle in and out every day. It takes around 15 mintues. It's quicker than the bus but it's not pretty on rainy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I live near Hugh Brady's house :D - 10 mins to the Quinn school!

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

from my front door in Brittas Bay to getting out at the bus stop at UCD = 1hr 40 mins

time to get back to my door after X amount of minutes at the bus stop waiting for a bus = 1hr 20

so..
    3hrs + X

roughly 40 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Takes about 30mins on the bus off peak. Takes about 30mins to cycle (tho i got sweaty hair when i get in). Basically the daily thought is... do you want to have sweaty* hair today. Sweaty hair seems to be winning the fight this year ;)

*BY sweaty hair i mean slightly damp...at the back where it comes into contact with my warm scarf. This may be more info than you want to know

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

About to leave in 10 minutes for a 40 minute walk in to Roebuck. Its a bit longer if I'm walking home from the library.
    If I cycled in its 12 minutes.

All this exercise keeps my butt firm and abs rock hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

DaveMcG wrote:
    I couldn't tell you how far it is, but my route is:

Tallaght village - Templeogue - Terenure village - [17 route -- dunno where it goes through :p)] - BELFIELD!

why don't you get the 75? It brings you right up into rathfarnham- that's straight onto the 17 route. Hate the cursed 17, used to take it last year. ew!

Me...takes 10 minutes in the car from dundrum during the day (I've done it in seven tho, hehehehe). Alas, with all my nine starts and finishing at 5 three evenings a week, it takes me about forty minutes to get in from the acursed Luas bridge. Ugh, why do they even HAVE a yellow box there, people don't take any friggin' notice....*drifts off into rant*

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Font22 wrote:
    i travel from malahide. used to be hell when i didnt have a car but now its grand. nine o clock starts used to be tough tho (up at half six to leave my house for a quarter past seven to be for exactly nine). this semester i have no nine o clock starts though which is a god send!

Yeay! 32X. I'm still on it, so up at half six, in for nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I live on the dundrum rd. so its half an hour walk from house to arts block.. altho i have done it in 15....

My flatmate has a car and lucky for me this semester we both have same starts on tuesdays and wednesdays which means i get an extra 20 mins in bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I live near Hugh Brady's house :D - 10 mins to the Quinn school!

:D:D

Cool-your neighbours-did you bring him cookies as a housewarming gift when he moved in? Live at the leinster grounds so takes me 5mins if the bus comes but usually i cycle-15 mins to ucd and 20 to the terrace(damn uphill leeson bridge)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm living just south of Rathmines now so it's a little over half an hour walk in, have had a puncture since before Christmas so haven't cycled it yet, doubt it'll be more than 15 mins:) I miss my bike, was getting pretty fit before the break, now it'll prob be back to huffing and gasping after 10 mins:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

not smoking helps :p

...tho that said i dont think you are a smoker ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I went up in my shorts one day, to use his million pound gym (that i partially paid for), but he wouldn't let me in. He's the neighbour from hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭White Rabbit

25 minute cycle followed by a half hour faffing about in the showers in the sports centre and traveling back and forth from my arts block locker.

An hour in all i suppose, but that includes a shower (fully necessary after cycle)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

I live a 3 min cycle away from the vet college, doesnt stop me being late everyday, though. But all my mates live in Terenure and I almost spend as much time there than in merv... A bit odd
    my route is:

Tallaght village - Templeogue - Terenure village - [17 route -- dunno where it goes through )] - BELFIELD!

I get that bus when in Terenure, bout twice a week. I used to cycle but thats no fun anymore, a bit like the pneumonia you get from the rain. 17 is a bitchin bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

If I leave home an hour before my class, depending on traffic and waiting for a bus (46a) after my 10-15 minute walk to the bus stop (because I'm to lazy to walk fast), I'll be early.

Why do all of you getting the 75 get the 17 from Rathfarnham? Why not just stay on the 75 to Stillorgan and then get the 46a? It's a more regular bus route, you're guaranteed to get one within a few minutes of reaching the bus stop, and it takes about 10 minutes from Stillorgan to college if the traffic isn't great. Is it really quicker to get the 17?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

5-7 min walk for me. Used to be on campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Blush_01 wrote:
    Why do all of you getting the 75 get the 17 from Rathfarnham? Why not just stay on the 75 to Stillorgan and then get the 46a? It's a more regular bus route, you're guaranteed to get one within a few minutes of reaching the bus stop, and it takes about 10 minutes from Stillorgan to college if the traffic isn't great. Is it really quicker to get the 17?

I reaffirm my bitchin bus comment. None of that flitting and scooting for me, I like to keep things simple in my simple little world, thank you very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I live about an hour and a 15 mins away with a train and then a bus. Not fun but I'm gettin used to it.

I live 1hr 40 to 2hr 20 away, depending on traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pimpy_c

I live in Roebuck Castle so I jump a wall and Im in UCD! Although, that's not always an option coz services weld up the fence we Roebuckians go through after the wall is jumped. Having said all this i now have the car in Dublin so I just drive for 7 mins instead of walking for 10 mins! Yeah, Im lazy! Wana fight about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

8 minute cycle from leaving my bedroom to locking my bike outside the science block.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I live 1hr 40 to 2hr 20 away, depending on traffic.
    Jebus:eek: what time do you get up at to get to the 9am's? assuming you so so

Advertisement