Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching NTL250 to Ethernet

• 18-01-2006 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I want to route my NTL250 BB modem through a wired hub to share with other machines. Apart from switching the cable over, what else do i need to do to get this working? The only CD that was left by the engineer was the usb install disk.

Any help/pointers appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

im sure the ntl modem has dhcp enabled connect a straight threw or crossover cable cat 5 or above from the modems ethernet port to the switch then to the other pcs xp machines should pick the tcp/ip activity automatically google for 2000/98 guides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

If it's just a hub, you shouldn't have to do anything. I use a router with the 250 and all I had to do was change the MAC address of the router to that of the modem.. Because a hub is dead equipment, you wouldn't need to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

When I plug in the ethernet cable, the power, ethernet, dync and ready lights are on. The recv light flickers every now and then as would be expected. However I get an on screen error when i try to connnect to a site. In case it makes a difference, I am running W2k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

NTL only allow one IP address so get a router of some sort. You could pick up a cheap one for about €40. You won't need to clone the MAC, just unplug the modem, connect it to the router and plug them both in.

Advertisement