Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next Irish Captain?

• 18-01-2006 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

With Cunningham's retirement, as well as Roy Keane of course, the vacant position of the captaincy is the next one to be filled. IMO there is no clear cut ready made replacement as captain for Kenny, who do you guys think it'll be.....Given to lead from the back maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

While I don't think he is the ideal choice, I think Given is the best possible candidate we have at the minute. At least he is quite vocal for a keeper.

I think Staunton may try and experiment with the role, while I would have shuddered at the thought of it a few months ago it seems Robbie Keane did a decent job with the armband at Spurs (he had it briefly didn't he?). It could be the making of a player like that for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

I read somewhere that it will be Given, I think.

Having been a goalkeeper I think its a good position to have a captain, he sees all infront of him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I dont think goalkeepers make good captains, they are not involved enough in the game and cant talk to players as much as an outfield player. But in the case of the Ireland team I cant think of anyone with leadership skills as good as Givens.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Kingp35 wrote:
    I dont think goalkeepers make good captains, they are not involved enough in the game and cant talk to players as much as an outfield player. But in the case of the Ireland team I cant think of anyone with leadership skills as good as Givens.
    Knowing Ireland, Given will be involved enough in the game. Believe me. :confused:

It has to be Given. He is the only player that deserves it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Kingp35 wrote:

I agree, Given deserves it but as was said, keepers aren't involved enough with outfield players to captain a side.
    Graham Kavanagh perhaps....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Kavanagh's hardly guaranteed a game though.

Given, Finnan and Keane are probably the best choices at the moment, which says a lot about the current Irish squad I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think you have to give your captaincy to someone who is a 100% automatic choice on the teamsheet. In that regard I think Given, Duff, Kilbane and Keane are the only nominees. Keane and especially Duff have never convinced me they're captain material and I don't like to give it to a goalie so I'll nominate Kilbane because he's the only choice left.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Pigman II wrote:
    I think you have to give your captaincy to someone who is a 100% automatic choice on the teamsheet. In that regard I think Given, Duff, Kilbane and Keane are the only nominees. Keane and especially Duff have never convinced me they're captain material and I don't like to give it to a goalie so I'll nominate Kilbane because he's the only choice left.

Point taken, but I'd say Kavanagh will be an automatic choice for a good while to come. I'd agree also that Keane and Duff are not captain material, Kilbane would also be a good choice, possibly better than Kavanagh?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

1.Shay Given
    2.Richie Dunne - Have been very impressed with Dunne he last few times he's played for ireland. If he stayed fit he would be quality. He has the heart of a lion and the Arse of a rhino though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I can't believe that Finnan is not an automatic choice Pig, has been one of the most consistent performers in the prem for the last two seasons and who is going to keep him out of that spot ? Carr, injured and not half the player that Finnan has become under Rafa again. As regards captain, I would say that Finnan would be too quiet, he is a fairly unassuming lad and just gets on with things, Keane just couldn't do it from up top, Given would be my first choice of the players available at the moment. Is well respected within the squad, is one of the top keepers in Europe and can control his box well. Just think of it as an extension of the box (except that he cannot handle in all of it ;)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

Kilbane was Kerr's Golden boy and he did well but Staunton will have his favourites and I wouldn't rule out a suprise choice like Dunne although I don't think anyone could argue if it was Given he deserves it. Anyway If given was captain whats to stop a Midfielder taking control further up the field.

I can't believe that Finnan is not an automatic choice Pig, has been one of the most consistent performers in the prem for the last two seasons and who is going to keep him out of that spot ? Carr, injured and not half the player that Finnan has become under Rafa again. As regards captain, I would say that Finnan would be too quiet, he is a fairly unassuming lad and just gets on with things,

I guess we'll just have to see. I also thought Finnan was better than Carr the last two seasons as well but Kerr still didn't pick him as often. The four lads I've mentioned have been pretty much first choice under 2 managers now whereas Finnan was never automatic under either. Don't get me wrong I'd have him in the team without question but he's already 0 for 2 and now and whilst logic dictates he should be automatic in the future he's still behind in the pecking order to those 4 who have an established track record and have already cemented their place in the XI. Either way tho I wouldn't put him forward for captain myself (i'm very old school - has to be a CB or CM!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I dont think Kilbane would be a better choice as captain than Kavanagh, and who would keep Kavanagh out of the team now that Keane is gone? I think GK's as captain's is a waste, his job vocally should be yelling at the defence not telling keane he should of passed it. I dont want it to go to people based on popularity or how many goals theyve scored, id rather it go to somebody who has captain qualities. Given may be well respected, a great GK and mouthy, but would he really be the best choice for captain?
    Pigman wrote:
    (i'm very old school - has to be a CB or CM!).

I agree, and i think when it doesnt go to a CM or CB it loses some of its meaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I'd like to see Richard Dunne wearing the armband. He's a fantastic natural defender and I think the added responsibility would really help him step up his game to the next level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Given will get the Captaincy and rightly so imo. But having said that, I do agree with Pigman that it sits better with a CB or CM player.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Robbie Keane has been captain of Spurs of late. Can't see him getting it though but he could be considered.

I think Given is bets choice but I'm not a big fan of a 'keeper being captain. I'd prefer to see Richard Dunne.

The only problem with Richard Dunne is that he does not have the respect of the team. If Richard Dunne came to you and said, come on son get it together you would prob be thinking "I'll start playing when you do son" whereas somebody with proven pedigree, not necessarily Given, would have both the respect due to people knowing that he is good enough to be in the team and the authority learned through years of marshalling rubbish defences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Shay Given or Robbie Keane

Both are well able and most deserving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Richie Dunne or if he hangs around Matt Holland

damienom wrote:
    Matt Holland
    Mr. Invisible? Interesting choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Has to be done Richard Dunne - I wouldn't at all be suprised if he's captain against Sweden.

Although Given is an excellent candidate, id rather an outfield player.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

SofaKing wrote:
    Has to be done Richard Dunne - I wouldn't at all be suprised if he's captain against Sweden.

Although Given is an excellent candidate, id rather an outfield player.

Id agree that an outfield player is better suited to being captain as he can get to any player on the pitch to have a soft or screaming word in their ear.

Richard Dunne would do for me if he keeps himself fit and he`s got to have learned something from Stuart Pierce about the role.

eirebhoys wrote:
    Id agree that an outfield player is better suited to being captain as he can get to any player on the pitch to have a soft or screaming word in their ear.

Richard Dunne would do for me if he keeps himself fit and he`s got to have learned something from Stuart Pierce about the role.

The only armband that man should ever get is a black one to mourn the loss of a respected footy personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Some of the best keepers ever were captain for their country (Schmeichel, Yashin, Zoff, Kahn, Sepp Maier). I think Given deserves it. If it was to go to an outfield player it has to be Kavanagh.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Some of the best keepers ever were captain for their country (Schmeichel, Yashin, Zoff, Kahn, Sepp Maier). I think Given deserves it. If it was to go to an outfield player it has to be Kavanagh.

How could you give it to a player who isn't even guaranteed his place in the team? According to the stats I have, since 2001 Kavanagh has only won 10 caps for Ireland. Only 4 of those were in competitive games, 2 being as a substitute.

Richard Dunne, Robbie Keane or Shay Given have far more experience in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dunne.

he's improved immensely over the last couple of years, he's probably going to be first choice centre back. Don't think goalkeepers are involved enough in the game and strikers are (by necessity) selfish bastards. Out of midfield and defence Dunne is the best choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

this thread is truly depressing. It highlights our lack of calibre if we are mooting Dunne as our new captain. No offence to the lad himself but its a bad state of affairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

How about somoene like Finnan or Duff? They are both respected and work hard. I just wonder if either has the captain mentality about them.

Personally i'd like Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

If push came to shove Id go for Finnan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

this thread is truly depressing. It highlights our lack of calibre if we are mooting Dunne as our new captain. No offence to the lad himself but its a bad state of affairs
    He's the vice-captain at Man City, even ahead of Reyna and Cole, and captained the side at the start of the side in Distin's absence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

id say top choice with the squad we have would be GIven, then Finnan or Matty Holland. Hopefully it will be Given, he deserves it and will give the extra push the team needs

Lemlin wrote:
    How could you give it to a player who isn't even guaranteed his place in the team? According to the stats I have, since 2001 Kavanagh has only won 10 caps for Ireland. Only 4 of those were in competitive games, 2 being as a substitute.

Richard Dunne, Robbie Keane or Shay Given have far more experience in the team.
    Because he's guaranteed a place in my team. ;) With Cunningham and Keane now retired I think its crucial to have Kavanagh in the team. Its a choice between him, Holland or a younger player like O'Brien or Whelan. I think atm Kav is way ahead of all of them. He's also one of the few players we has that have captained Ireland albeit for half an hour when Roy Keane handed him the arm band. :)

A poll perhaps (compiled from the names here)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Do people seriously think Kilbane is automatic choice for Ireland now?
    Kavanagh, S Reid, Whelan, O'Brien, Miller, Nolan?
    Surely Zinedine will have to make way for these now?

dcarroll wrote:
    Do people seriously think Kilbane is automatic choice for Ireland now?
    Kavanagh, S Reid, Whelan, O'Brien, Miller, Nolan?
    Surely Zinedine will have to make way for these now?

Well I've read Nolan has finally been ruled out of eligibility now. So that's 1 less already.

Anyway, people have been writing Kilbane out of the team for nearly 10 years now but the 60+ caps to his name show what they know I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Pigman II wrote:
    Well I've read Nolan has finally been ruled out of eligibility now. So that's 1 less already.

Anyway, people have been writing Kilbane out of the team for nearly 10 years now but the 60+ caps to his name show what they know I suppose.
    Or maybe they show what our previous managers know?

dcarroll wrote:
    Or maybe they show what our previous managers know?

Well I half agree with that. Mick did a good job for us. Beside I could easily imagine Kilbane in a Charlton team too.

I can't remember Kilbane having a good game under Mick though. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    I can't remember Kilbane having a good game under Mick though. :)

Well he was paired on the left with Harte for most of that. The real Zidane probably wouldn't have done much better ;)

I think the future of the Irish midfield consists of players like Steven Reid, Andy Reid, Damien Duff, Glenn Whelan, Joey O'Brien and Stephen Ireland. Kilbane and Kavanagh should hang up their boots and give youth a chance.

To give Kavanagh the captaincy would be ridiculous. The captain should be a respected international, not someone who managed the grand total of 2 competitive starts in five seasons (and that's counting his diabolical performance in Cyprus). Kavangh obviously had little to offer for the past ten years, and he has little to offer now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Lemlin wrote:
    I think the future of the Irish midfield consists of players like Steven Reid, Andy Reid, Damien Duff, Glenn Whelan, Joey O'Brien and Stephen Ireland. Kilbane and Kavanagh should hang up their boots and give youth a chance.

Agree with this, but as just mentioned it last thread would stick Miller in there as well. Not a bad bunch of young players to be honest
    Lemlin wrote:
    To give Kavanagh the captaincy would be ridiculous. The captain should be a respected international, not someone who managed the grand total of 2 competitive starts in five seasons (and that's counting his diabolical performance in Cyprus). Kavangh obviously had little to offer for the past ten years, and he has little to offer now.

Kav is a joke and as everyone knows I don't rate him and don't even want in the squad. Keane for Captain. Done a great job as Spurs captain.

Graham Kavanagh for Presidency!

eirebhoy wrote:

If it means he'll be kept too busy to play CM for us then I'm all for it.

eirebhoy wrote:

Ahh your taking the piss I think now:D Before long you will be replacing Chuck Norris name with Graham Kavanagh;)

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ahh your taking the piss I think now:D
    It actually angered me to read the previous 2 posts so I had to post something sarcastic. :) Its not that I'm stubborn, Kavanagh has been our best holding midfielder at club level this season, by far.

eirebhoy wrote:
    It actually angered me to read the previous 2 posts so I had to post something sarcastic. :) Its not that I'm stubborn, Kavanagh has been our best holding midfielder at club level this season, by far.

Reid at Blackburn would disagree. He has played a few times in the holding midfielder role for Blackburn and has done well on all occasions. But you knew I would say that already:D

Big Nelly wrote:
    Reid at Blackburn would disagree. He has played a few times in the holding midfielder role for Blackburn and has done well on all occasions. But you knew I would say that already:D
    I though Tugay, Mokoena, Savage and Ferguson would have been the holding midfielders at Blackburn while Reid was there. I'm sure Reid has played that position a few times but I haven't seen him play it and Kav has played it constantly this season, and constantly well. As I said, I'd like to see the Reid-Kav partnership against Sweden.

eirebhoy wrote:

And what use is his club form to Ireland? Reid is a good tackler and could do a more capable job, even if I would prefer to see him in an attacking role.

I think the fact that Kavanagh is now in his early 30s, and has about 15 caps or so says alot about his value to the Irish international scene.

Lemlin wrote:
    And what use is his club form to Ireland?
    You can't be serious?

BTW - Being a good tackler doesn't make you a holding midfielder. Passing, positioning, etc. are more important. I'd like to see Reid in the holding role and I've no doubt he'll have a big part in the next qualifying campaign.

Lemlin wrote:
    And what use is his club form to Ireland?
    Huh?

Reid's form for Ireland ain't that great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement