Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom: Long delay before websites load.. DNS issue?

• 18-01-2006 3:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

EDIT: *** I've resolved the issue by changing my DNS address to the old Eircom ones! ***

On Eircom 1MB home starter.

When I load a site, say Google.ie, there's a 5 second delay and then the page loads. After the page has loaded, all the links within the site load instantly, eg. Images, News, however, if I leave the computer idle for a few minutes and press refresh on the Google page, it take 5 seconds for it to load again.

It wasn't always like this. Pages used to load in a split second. It's getting quite frustrating now to say the least.

I'm not having problems with speed or pings, everything else seems fine. I know it's not my PC because I get the same problem on the other computers in the house.

I thought this might be a DNS issue because when I enter the IP of Google.ie (216.239.57.99) the site loads instantly everytime.

The router is set to revieve settings automatically. Here's the DNS it's giving me:
    Primary DNS Server
    dns1.cwm.dublin.eircom.net

Secondary DNS Server
    dns2.cra.dublin.eircom.net

Does anyone have this problem?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 aob

Indeed, many ppl are having the same trouble, myself included, exactly how you described it, I'm also suffering from bad game pings, fluctuating stability and insanely slow dl/upl rates for the past 3 weeks roughly.

I can direct you to this topic where others are discussing your topic
    Eircom: DNS oddness

It's seems some people have had success through changing the dns addresses, which is explained in the topic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

Thanks pal :)

Ok, I'm now using the old Eircom DNS servers:

Preferred: 159.134.237.6
    Alternate: 159.134.248.17

Everything is working fine now. I shouldn't have to do this though. Eircom won't even acknowledge a problem with the new DNS. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This used to happen occasionally too with the old DNS servers before they switched to the new ones. They wouldn't acknowledge there was a problem then either :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Pack3t3rroR

Could these problems that we are all seeing not be related to the many upgrades that eircom have been doing over the past 2 weeks? Friday is the main upgrade so we will see what happens from there on. I can see things going back to normal after friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

Of course it's possible but they could at least put an announcment on their website warning of DNS issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Deception217

I'm glad I came on here today. The pages where loading really slow for me too, but thanks to the advice on here it's all speedy again.

Cheers again.

Advertisement