Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primetime - your thoughts

Options
  • 18-01-2006 3:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Prime time made their regular visit to the crime scene in Limerick tonight. In case you missed it it is availible on the rte news website.

The information given in it was a little newer than previous episodes, and the entire show did not revolve around limericka as previous ones did.

so does anyone have any views on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting - I thought the whole thing just seemed a bit tired and dated, and I felt that the bigger issue of connections between the criminal gangs in different cities in Ireland wasn't given enough air-time.
    Maybe I am too paranoid because of all the previous bad press that has been given to Limerick, but I felt the over-riding message last night was "they might be locked up, but they can still get you... Limerick will never be safe"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I didn't see it unfortunately.

One theory of mine is that journalists show Limerick in such a bad light because of course they need to sell papers, get viewers etc. Dublin is worse for crime, but Limerick gets the worse press. The reason in my opinion? Most of these journalists are from and/or are living in Dublin so they don't want to soil the good name of their home city. They don't want to "sh!t on their own doorstep" putting it crudely.

Limerick has problems, but so does Dublin and others parts of the country unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Very interesting programme. The thing about the threatening letter against Gardaí and prison officers is very worrying.

Do the police have any way of monitoring phone calls/text messages coming out of prison cells?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

I taught it was funny been honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Saw some of it! Willie lokked good, the way he got them all in a room, yeah.. it did have that, we're fcuked when they get out again feel to it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I didn't see it unfortunately.

http://www.rte.ie/news/

You can watch a repeat of Primetime here(on the left of the page)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I think even through crime rates may be higher in the likes of Dublin etc
    the Actual Crime happening in Limerick is noticed more because the place
    is a lot smaller.

Because of this crimes are much more noticed, Criminals with a name are
    more well known, when something is reported on the papers more
    people take notice.

Lets just say one night your out niteclubbing and you get into a fight or
    a random knacker aproaches you looking for trouble and there are words/violence.

In Limerick a person may have to keep an eye out for that same person again
    the following week he/she is out clubbing or walking down the street
    as the place is so small the likelyhood of bumping into the person again is high.

Compared to someplace like Dublin where while the same may be true
    the city is much bigger and the population is
    larger. Someone in the same situation maybe less likely to be worried about bumping
    into the same knacker again.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

http://www.rte.ie/news/

You can watch a repeat of Primetime here(on the left of the page)

Thanks for that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

ricey wrote:
    I taught it was funny been honest.

Yeah I suppose the thing about Wayne Dundon talking about the hassle involved in going down to the shop to buy a choc-ice was funny enough, just because he chose the example of a choc-ice. There's nothing wrong with choc-ices mind, I just thought it was a weird example to pick.

How many Dundons does it take to buy a choc-ice? :v:

I have to agree with you, Bullets, about the problem being that you've gotta look older your shoulder if you have a run-in with someone like that in Limerick due to its size.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

anyone else think they kind of made the city look like a country village in the way that they showed old small houses in the backround
    yes i know the clarion and the riverpoint was there in some of them to but they were way way back and yer mans head was in the way of the riverpoint most of the time lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

Its always the same though lets batter limerick a bit just when Limerick is about to get some great press from the Rugby game this weekend. I mean per capita Limerick is not that bad and in most cases better crime wise in comparison to Galway Cork or Waterford

Advertisement