Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting car back on the road.

Options
  • 18-01-2006 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭

Howdy,
    Just looking for advice if anyone can offer it.

I'm hoping to get my car back on the road in time for summer. Its a 91 Integra, and its been laid up for nearly 2 years now due to having a company van, and not being able to afford to run the Honda.
    Its been pretty static, hasnt been started now and then as it should have been and has just been sitting there gathering bird sh*t. I want to get it fully up and running for the Summer, but I've no idea how much it would cost.
    There was no real problems with it before it went off the road, just the engine running a bit fast, no biggy. I'm hoping it hasnt developed any problems, and presuming it hasnt.(it did start, and went 50 feet before cutting out and dying, but I'm blaming the battery for that as it was jumped to get going in the first place)
    Anyone any ideas roughly how much I'd be looking at to get a garage to give this a full once over and get it back up to scratch and ready to pass the NCT? It would probably have to be collected with a tow truck. Also, any advice on a good reliable garage that would do this in North/West Dublin or Meath? I've been ripped loads of times by various garages with this car, so if anyone can recommend a good one, I'd appreciate it.
    cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Best bet is to give her a good service yourself!! Buy a new battery and a bit of elbow grease and your sorted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'd do it myself TBH, nothin gmajor involved.

1) The fuel. Drain any old fuel out, put fresh stuff in. Replace fuel filter.
    2) Oil. Chance oil and replace oil filter
    3) Check fluids. Check power steering/brake levels
    4) Brakes. They may be ok, but the pads and discs will be rough, this can be sorted with a drive up and down the estate. Maybe jack the car up and try moving the wheels a couple of times by hand
    5) The battery may be dead. Try charging it overnight, but after being left without use for so long its probably dead beyond rechargable-repair
    6) What the lad said below. Air filter and spark plugs. Your HT leads should be ok, but may be the cause of mis-fires.

Bearings and bushs could be a bit rattly/work after being left stationary for so long, but its not a big deal, it'll jut be noisy.

I'm sure there is other stuff that I cant think off from the top of my head, but this may help you a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

It would probably be an idea to change the air filter and spark plugs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

Nice one cheers. Never thought of doing it meself but thats good advice. Might give it a whirl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dead

dont for get to re-oil everything and wash the dam car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

Could be an idea to get it back driving then book it for nct and let it fail. That way you've a better idea of what to fix/ replace.

if you live in dublin i could fix it for you :P .

Dead wrote:
    dont for get to re-oil everything and wash the dam car

What do you mean 're-oil everything' ... The only thing id ever oil is the hinges. CV Joints should be replaced, not re-oiled... Care to share what should be oiled?

ok ill keep it nice n' simple

id re do all engine internals and work my way back

You still havent answered my question... What exactly would you 're-oil'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

My guess is he meant to replace the engine oil.

wet-paint wrote:
    My guess is he meant to replace the engine oil.

I mentioned that in my first post, and theres a difference in 'changing the oil' and 'oiling everything'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johnblack111

JohnCleary wrote:
    I mentioned that in my first post, and theres a difference in 'changing the oil' and 'oiling everything'

he actually said RE-oil everything, in other words put new oil in. you seem to be the only one having any trouble understanding. if you think about it its not that cryptic.

its sound advice dead, good man

he actually said RE-oil everything, in other words put new oil in. you seem to be the only one having any trouble understanding. if you think about it its not that cryptic.

its sound advice dead, good man

RE-oiling implies that you are just adding more oil, ie. re-oiling a hinge, you just give it a squirt of oil, you don't clean the old stuff off first.

CHANGING, however, implies removing the old stuff and replacing with new

Don't forget gearbox oil, but that was covered in the oil change post above.

Con9903 wrote:
    Don't forget gearbox oil, but that was covered in the oil change post above.

Arent most gearbox's "Fill for life" ... As in the oil thats filled when they leave the factory is designed to be left in for the life of the gearbox?

... OR is this just with MG-Rover?

Aye but it's good to check it every 50000 miles or so. when I brought my car in for its service we topped up the gear oil to be on the safe side.

Con9903 wrote:
    Aye but it's good to check it every 50000 miles or so. when I brought my car in for its service we topped up the gear oil to be on the safe side.

BE CAREFUL! Over-filling can be as dangerous as under-filling.
    I changed the gearbox oil on my car this morning, it was over-filled by about 500ml. (I never touched the oil, some spanner monkey must have overfilled it when the previous owner had it).

Since I filled up the RIGHT amount with the proper oil, it feels like a whole new car. Gear change much smoother

Advertisement