Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Algerian ADSL connections to reach 4 million

Options
  • 18-01-2006 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

Algerian ADSL connections to reach 4 million in 2008

The use of ADSL internet connections in Algeria is expanding, with demand expected to increase to 4 million subscribers in 2008, according to Italian news agency Ansa. Since ADSL was launched two years ago, around 290,000 subscribers have signed up for the broadband service. Another five million subscribers are expected to opt for an ADSL connection by the end of 2010, as part of the government's 'Ousratic' initiative for a PC in every Algerian household. Private internet service provider Eepad and state-owned Fawri will soon get a new competitor, Internet Djaweb, a division of state-owned Algerie Telecom, which has recently signed a partnership contract with France's Alcatel to provide internet access. The operation is being financed by the African Development Bank.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What is the relevance to this? To compare to Ireland?

If so, I don't think it is a reasonable comparison point for a variety of reasons - population size, density, land mass etc. Having said that it does show that competition does drive progress especially when you read about the state of their current network.

Here's what the CIA say about their phone network:

general assessment: telephone density in Algeria is very low, not exceeding five telephones per 100 persons; the number of fixed main lines increased in the last few years to a little more than 2,000,000, but only about two-thirds of these have subscribers; much of the infrastructure is outdated and inefficient
    domestic: good service in north but sparse in south; domestic satellite system with 12 earth stations (20 additional domestic earth stations are planned)
    international: country code - 213; submarine cables - 5; microwave radio relay to Italy, France, Spain, Morocco, and Tunisia; coaxial cable to Morocco and Tunisia; participant in Medarabtel; satellite earth stations - 51 (Intelsat, Intersputnik, and Arabsat) (2005)

Mind you this is what they say about Ireland:

general assessment: modern digital system using cable and microwave radio relay
    domestic: microwave radio relay
    international: country code - 353; satellite earth station - 1 Intelsat (Atlantic Ocean)

Not a lot really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

BrianD wrote:

If so, I don't think it is a reasonable comparison point for a variety of reasons - population size, density, land mass etc. Having said that it does show that competition does drive progress especially when you read about the state of their current network.

Its a perfectly valid comparison to Ireland.

First off it's a second world country(so called) yet they can manage to put PCs into every household (doesnt mention tents)
    They can also manage to build a reasonable DSL network and their pricing for DSL is pretty good. (wage considerations aside)

Furthermore 4 million subscribers is roughly 20% of the population. We'd be delighted if we could have 20% of our population as broadband subscribers.

A fairly poor desert country, which has just emerged from a devastating civil war and also has a colonial past with a bitter independance struggle can turn around within a few years and start investing in infrastructure and can rightly boast of these achievements.

They have none of our so called advantages and "wealth".

We should take note of these countries and do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

BrianD wrote:
    much of the infrastructure is outdated and inefficient
    domestic: good service in north but sparse in south; .

In Broadband terms, these two points are as applicable to Ireland as they are to Algeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

How do you put 4M adsl when there are only 2M phone lines or am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

BrianD wrote:

Here's what the CIA say about their phone network:

general assessment: telephone density in Algeria is very low, not exceeding five telephones per 100 persons; the number of fixed main lines increased in the last few years to a little more than 2,000,000, but only about two-thirds of these have subscribers; much of the infrastructure is outdated and inefficient
    domestic: good service in north but sparse in south; domestic satellite system with 12 earth stations (20 additional domestic earth stations are planned)
    international: country code - 213; submarine cables - 5; microwave radio relay to Italy, France, Spain, Morocco, and Tunisia; coaxial cable to Morocco and Tunisia; participant in Medarabtel; satellite earth stations - 51 (Intelsat, Intersputnik, and Arabsat) (2005)

Mind you this is what they say about Ireland:

general assessment: modern digital system using cable and microwave radio relay
    domestic: microwave radio relay
    international: country code - 353; satellite earth station - 1 Intelsat (Atlantic Ocean)

Not a lot really.

You Believe what the CIA say? :eek: Iraqi WMD's come to mind :rolleyes: This is an example of how a country can build an excellent network with State Control and Intervention, Minimum Competition. Competition is there really only as parasites to suck the life blood of proftis, for capitalist investors. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Don't forget about the bs press releases that come out of Ireland all the time.

For all we know Algeria might have the worst telco infrastructure in the world and they are only blowing their trumpet.

Now that certainly isn't to forgive Eircom or the government, but it annoys me when people take press releases from other coutries at face value, when our own are always so inaccurate and nevermind our awful tech journalists. I don't think it would be much different in many other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

fair point

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

bk wrote:
    but it annoys me when people take press releases from other coutries at face value, when our own are always so inaccurate and nevermind our awful tech journalists. I don't think it would be much different in many other countries.

Maybe because people generally are a trusting bunch who take things at face value and default by believing what people say but in Ireland after all the bull being spread, we don't believe them now. Wasn't this part of the hard slog IrelandOffline had to convince people that what eircom and ComReg said was not near the truth? I believe BT press releases when they say they have 100% coverage in NI and 98% coverage in the UK. EU league tables reflect that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

damien.m wrote:
    I believe BT press releases when they say they have 100% coverage in NI and 98% coverage in the UK. EU league tables reflect that.

Oh, I agree, but that is because, we speak the same language and are so close to the UK and many of us know people in the UK, so we can confirm it.

I'm just making the point that we need to be slightly more careful of press releases from other coutries, in particular countries outside the EU15, where the reality might be very different from the pr.

For instance, we have all heard how the Czech Republic is starting to outstrip us in terms of BB. If you look at the UPC site the specs look good, with speeds up to 6m.

However I'm currently in Prague for a few weeks and the reality is quiet different.

The UPC 1m/128k service costs 1150 Kc, that is €38.35

But then you have to take into account that wages here are less then half of Ireland. So the 1m service is more like a €100 in comparative terms. Like ADSL when it first came out from Eircom.

Or to put it in another way, Czech Beer costs about 35Kc, so you could get 32 beers for the price of the 1m service. In Ireland say about €4.50, so it costs only about 6 beers.

What seems to happen alot is that one person gets cable and then shares it with the other people in the building using wireless for a cut of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

dont know if you guys pointed this out but he said state-owned Algerie Telecom meaning that the government is probably doing most of it
    we dont have a state owned telephone network (telecom eireann were so expensive as far as i remember anyway) and if we did the broadband situation in ireland would probably be a lot better
    but its not worth it really
    much better that the government sold them imo

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote:
    dont know if you guys pointed this out but he said state-owned Algerie Telecom meaning that the government is probably doing most of it
    we dont have a state owned telephone network (telecom eireann were so expensive as far as i remember anyway) and if we did the broadband situation in ireland would probably be a lot better
    but its not worth it really
    much better that the government sold them imo

Telecom Eireann were an advanced company and were always advancing. How the hell can you say it was better to put the entire Telecommunications network of Ireland into private hands and allow them to run it into the ground as is being done with it right now. I guarantee that every corner of Ireland would have access to Broadband if Eircom were not privatised. This Government really should be indited for high treason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

netwhizkid wrote:
    Telecom Eireann were an advanced company and were always advancing. How the hell can you say it was better to put the entire Telecommunications network of Ireland into private hands and allow them to run it into the ground as is being done with it right now. I guarantee that every corner of Ireland would have access to Broadband if Eircom were not privatised. This Government really should be indited for high treason.

Oh dear, you don't give up do you. Telecom Eireann had no plans to introduce DSL or flat rate tarrifs. They were made, BY THE GOVERNMENT, introduce the 1892 numbers. You may also remember the per second billing only came in after Esat Home (as it was called) introduced it. Telecom's pricing was 11p for 15 minutes. I remember, my 33.6k modem, trying to get everything as close to 15 minutes as possible, often you would go over and have to stay on longer as it was no cheaper to get off the line. Forward thinking indeed. :rolleyes: Once again privitisation of "Forward thinking" Telecom Eireann ruined us, it's all Mary Harney's fault. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This blaming the government thing is old. Are you a student per chance?

You may notice it costs 5CentPer minute daytime now and 1.27 per minute after 6 o clock and at weekends. So that is categorical proof that prices rose after Privatisation. and yes it is all Mary Harneys fault with a blend of Michael Lowry and Mary O'Rourke. Mary Harney seems to have a touch of death, anything she goes near is sure to fail and start to kill its own life blood. Just look at the health service after [snip] Mary Harney I honestly would not shake her hand. [snip]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

netwhizkid wrote:
    You may notice it costs 5CentPer minute daytime now and 1.27 per minute after 6 o clock and at weekends. So that is categorical proof that prices rose after Privatisation.

Wrong again. Is it my turn to prove him wrong now folks, since everyone else is worn out from this exercise?

Prices went up and went from flat rate to per minute before they even went public. This was way before they went private again. By the way, we have a rule in place here that we do not personally attack anyone. It works well. Respect it and edit out your silly little nicknames about Mary Harney.

[snipped] :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

netwhizkid wrote:
    You may notice it costs 5CentPer minute daytime now and 1.27 per minute after 6 o clock and at weekends. So that is categorical proof that prices rose after Privatisation. and yes it is all Mary Harneys fault with a blend of Michael Lowry and Mary O'Rourke.

Oh dear........ It gets worse.

I don't remember the peak prices I think it was 15pence for 3 minutes. I guarentee you, every single Eircon customer saved money with the mild (0.27cent) increase and the benefits of per second billing. Please stop arguing, when you get a little older you will be embarrased by your silly arguments. The world doesn't work that way. Accept it.

Privitisation has done more good for telecom prices in Ireland than bad. How do you honestly think the government, who you keep giving out about, would have done this better. Broadband is pretty dire here, I would be pretty certain it would be just as bad if we still had TE. The infrastructure maybe pretty bad in places, look at all public services in Ireland, it would be no better whether Eircon or the government were in charge.

Again, let this anti-capatalist thing go. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

netwhizkid, enough already. Take your political views to the Politics forum, and if you're going to make an argument, then get your facts reasonably straight. Otherwise I'll be considering your posts (if along the same lines as above) as trolling.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Algerie Telecom orders IP network from Siemens, Juniper

State-owned Algerie Telecom (AT) has commissioned Siemens Communications and Juniper Networks to set up a multiservice backbone network based on Next Generation IP technology with MPLS (Multi Protocol Label Switching). AT is deploying the Surpass Perfect Voice solution and the NetManager network management system from Siemens and Juniper Networks M- and T-series routing platforms to expand its network capacity, enable the convergence of its fixed and mobile network assets and support the rollout of a countrywide broadband access network. The new network infrastructure will enable AT to offer advanced broadband services such as voice over IP (VoIP) as well as telemedicine applications and narrowband voice services on a countrywide basis. The total contract to Siemens is worth around USD 20 million.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

watty wrote:
    How do you put 4M adsl when there are only 2M phone lines or am I missing something?

are you serious? adsl can run up to 8mb+ & the speed depends on your package , line quality, distance from exchange etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

I dont believe a word of it, there is no way it will hit that number. This is the standard sort of stuff put out by the government to make the country look more advanced then it is.
    Bogus Bogus Bogus - and before you ask, yes I have worked in Algeria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

are you serious? adsl can run up to 8mb+ & the speed depends on your package , line quality, distance from exchange etc.
    He said 4M not 4Mb .. so I presume he's asking how can 4 million DSL connections run on 2 million phone lines.

I agree with onedmc .. take it with a pinch of ComReg Salt

.cg

Advertisement