Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CFT Clubs

• 18-01-2006 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with CFT clubs around the Dublin area. I'm thinking of joining a CFT club this year.

The only catch is that I would like a club that is nitrox friendly and allows its member to use rebreathers. I'll be making the switch to closed circuit in a couple of months.

I spotted a couple of club names on the interweb: Marlin, Viking and Dalkey. I was wondering does anyone have experiences with these clubs?

TIA!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭nitroboy

I've met a few people from those clubs, Dalkey is prob rebreather friendly as one of the Guys there (possibly the DO) has an inspiration. Can't say so for the other clubs. most clubs are going down the route of nitrox, including a few of the student clubs so I would'nt worry about that too much. It all depends on what type of diving you want to do really, give the DO a call from each club, tell him what ur lookin for and he'll tell you whether or not the club is suitable.

but dont forget that a club has to cater for all its members not just the ones that have the gear and experience to do more technical dive. Also A club can offer more than just diving!! A big part of the club scene is all the craic that goes with it. blah blah blah,

Dont forget clubs are made of all sorts, so dont get too put off if you come accross some real weirdos, its part of the fun,

best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭smcmullan

If you're a Trinity College Dublin student, member of staff or former graduate then DUSAC are accepting new members with dive experience at the moment

http://www.tcd.ie/Clubs/Subaqua/

It's a BSAC club and there will be a certain amount of rules and retraining involved just like CFT I'd imagine. The club is Nitrox friendly but doesn't really cater for divers on rebreather. Its "sister" club Altantic SAC is the technical wing so to speak (and pun intended) but I *think* the route into that club is via DUSAC.

PM me if anyone wants more details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending which way you look at it) I've never been a trinners head so i can't join DUSAC .

I know the guy diving the inspo in Dalkey SAC so I might have a chat with him and see what he says about the price of turnips.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

I still haven't joined a club am still hmming about it . . . does anyone find the whole politics cliquey thing really off putting. I learnt through Padi and I still dont understand with clubs who's responsible for safety or who's in charge of telling people not to stand behind boats being winched or bounce off the sea floor or stand up on boats and walk backwards with all their gear on etc . . just can't get my head around how the whole thing works and wonder whether it's worth the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

First, ring CFT at 01-2844601 and ask Enda or Louise which dive region are you living in, and which club is nearest to you.

Next check the CFT website at

http://207.121.125.113

then click on your region in the right-hand bar. You will see a list of clubs. Above that you will see the name of the RDO, that is the Regional Diving Officer.
    Give him/her a ring and be blunt about your concerns as to politics and Nitrox.

I am sure you will be pointed in the right direction by one who knows.

Then do yourself a favour and join up!!

And in twelve month's time you can post your verdict as to whether your decision to go CFT was a wise one or not.

Stay Wet!

Seadeuce

Just fixing the CFT link E.P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Miss Polaris

A little Caveat about joining CFT club or even CFT as a national club, your fee includes your insurance - this insurance ONLY runs January to January - by some strange arrangement?!?!? So join Early in the year as there is not usually a pro rata fee.

joining the national club is an idea, as you can then sample many clubs

Advertisement