Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

changing career...to TV/Video Editior

• 18-01-2006 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

After 4years in the call centre travel industry I'm starting to wilt (yes I don't know how I've kept my sanity!), I have now decided a change of career.. I have always been interested in the tv/video editing industry and think I could do a good job, (given the right training)... I'm living in the Cork city area and am thinking about going back to college either full or part time but i'm not sure of what course to take.

I know in Dublin that there is a highly recommend course at the Ballyfermot college but don't think i could afford the move. Does anyone know if the job prospects out of the Visual media course in St Johns Central College are any good or is it just a basic course? Would I be better off going to CIT or would you recommend the (dreaded) move to the big smoke of Dublin?

All help and comments greatly appreciated..
    Thanks for your time
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saibhne

For what it's worth, Dun Laoghaire institute of Art and Design also do courses related to the industry, link here:

http://www.iadt.ie/Dispatcher?action=findAllEntities&type=GenericPageContent&id=courses&page=courses&random=courses_image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

jom1133 wrote:
    After 4years in the call centre travel industry I'm starting to wilt (yes I don't know how I've kept my sanity!), I have now decided a change of career.. I have always been interested in the tv/video editing industry and think I could do a good job, (given the right training)... I'm living in the Cork city area and am thinking about going back to college either full or part time but i'm not sure of what course to take.

I know in Dublin that there is a highly recommend course at the Ballyfermot college but don't think i could afford the move. Does anyone know if the job prospects out of the Visual media course in St Johns Central College are any good or is it just a basic course? Would I be better off going to CIT or would you recommend the (dreaded) move to the big smoke of Dublin?

All help and comments greatly appreciated..
    Thanks for your time
    John

I don't know about the St John's course. However the thing about the ballyfermot course is it a BETC course. Provided you're long term (six months) unemployed, you can do the course, claim full dole (uncluding during holidays) rent, travel, book allowance etc.

Your timing is good. You can apply via CAO, which closes in a few months, giving you a chance to get a porfolio together for your interview in may.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jom1133

thanks a lot lads for yer replies...Dublin isn't ideal for me to be honest. I'm really thinking about the Visual Media communications course at St Johns Central colllege here in cork, i know it's a broad coarse - 1 year full time. Do you think it would help me get a job in the industry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

To be honest, having done a 3 year course in media,I don't think a 1 year course will help. Experience and on the job training is paramount!

John

jom1133 wrote:
    thanks a lot lads for yer replies...Dublin isn't ideal for me to be honest. I'm really thinking about the Visual Media communications course at St Johns Central colllege here in cork, i know it's a broad coarse - 1 year full time. Do you think it would help me get a job in the industry?

What lump said

1) Its not a 1 year full time course it's an 8 month 16-24 a week course. To be honest. This means you'll spend your time mixing up film and video theory, camera, sound, and editing theory as well as pratical. To be honest it took me two years to even recognise where my attention should be focus'd before I started. In short it'll barely give you time to figure out what you like never mind, give you skills to start in the industry.

2) lets be honest here, you want to work in media, you're going to have to move to dublin. While there are some jobs in tg4 (you'll need good irish) the move to Dublin is inescapable. Hell I worked in editing in dublin for about five years and realised to work freelance in dublin was impossible and moved to london. You are delaying the inevitable, if you want to make a go of it, the course in Cork is too short and you need to move to dublin in the long term anyway.

In short, suck it up and accept it, make the move. Film and tv work is a tough industry under a lot of competition, deal with it, if you are unwilling to even contemptable a move early on, well this isn't for you. Sorry but its true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

What freelancer said with one tiny caveat.

Im sure theres a few places in cork or the SW that do small corporate videos and you could maybe get a runner job with them but 1. if they are that small and few and far between, your chances of getting any love from them will be tiny and 2. The work isnt going to be oscar winning. it will be downright awful and you wont get a lot of experience to help you with your eventual move to dublin (thats inescapable).

The ballyfermot course is great, i did it myself and i think its one of the best out there for training operators rather than producer/directors. The FAS Course in Tralee is also suppsoed to be very good, at least one of the editors im working with atm did it, but if your serious about editing, your going to have to move to dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jom1133

Do i have to have a portfolio ready for the course in ballyfermot? I've to got to say that i don't know much about the whole thing but i know that i'm interested in it, and I think it would be an interesting career move. Suppose I could get my act together and start putting something together. What would I need for a good portfolio? Are the job prospects good in the industry?Thanks again lads.

jom1133 wrote:
    Do i have to have a portfolio ready for the course in ballyfermot? I've to got to say that i don't know much about the whole thing but i know that i'm interested in it, and I think it would be an interesting career move. Suppose I could get my act together and start putting something together. What would I need for a good portfolio? Are the job prospects good in the industry?Thanks again lads.

Yes you do. A portfolio should have a diverse collection of work, some short films, some scripts, photography, some writing. You'll need that for your interview.

The job prospects out of college you'd get a position as a runner or junior assistant, shrugs...the prospects are good if you're good, talented hard working and catch a lucky break. Its not an easy career to get into and a qualfication will not land you a job on its own. You'll have to work at it.

Advertisement