Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripoff register.ie

Options
  • 18-01-2006 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A few months ago i used to buy all .ie domains from register.ie it worked out at nearly €115 for just one domain registration. Then i started hearing of LetsHost.ie selling domains for under €35 which was not only cheaper but a much quicker & more efficent service. I noticed Blacknight are also offering cheap .ie domains now.

I called register.ie to renew a .ie domain and asked how much it would be (expecting them to say they have also decreased the price of domains) and the guy said it would be €96 to renew it for another year.

I cant believe they are charging so much, what a ripoff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

Yeah, i noticed Blacknight were selling the .ie's very cheaply. I heard sometime last year that the people who gave out the .ie's were hoping to make some changes to the registration process in order to make them more competative against the .com so maybe that has something to do with it.

To get a .ie do you have to be an Irish Registered company or can you get one if your site has something to do with ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Some of the lower prices are provided at a loss in the hope of gaining webhost customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

rsynnott wrote:
    Some of the lower prices are provided at a loss in the hope of gaining webhost customers.
    Letshost has been consistently selling .ie domains at cost in order to buy marketshare.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

To get a .ie do you have to be an Irish Registered company or can you get one if your site has something to do with ireland?

Some info here:
    http://www.domainregistry.ie/RegistrationPolicy.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

It's ironic alright that the company which made the most noise about a reduction in price is now one of the dearest in the market.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5374

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9647285

I know they have a website www.hosting247.ie for cheaper .ie domains but which they haven't promoted and don't seem to be telling their customers who ring to renew about it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I thought this was someone promoting a website called ripoffregister.ie - A register of all the offending companies...would have been a good idea....

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

I switched to their low-budget Hosting247.ie last month after suddenly realising I was being ripped-off for so long at register.ie/host.ie.

The service is not great at all, but at least the price is better. Still very expensive though! Why oh why do things always have to be messy with Irish comapnies?.....

I switched to their low-budget Hosting247.ie last month after suddenly realising I was being ripped-off for so long at register.ie/host.ie.

The service is not great at all, but at least the price is better. Still very expensive though! Why oh why do things always have to be messy with Irish comapnies?.....

It isn't really that cheap; both blacknight and hosting365 are cheaper.

Why would you still stay with them if they are ripping you off?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

rsynott wrote:
    It isn't really that cheap; both blacknight and hosting365 are cheaper.
    I know. I did note it was still expensive! i was looking at Blacknight and it seems they do offer great prices. Only issue now is I've just paid up for Feb '06 to Feb '07 for hosting so I'd lose it I'm sure if I jumped ship. :(
    Sposs wrote:
    I'm beginning to see my mistake now :o I liked the service with register.ie. It was quick and a lot of stuff was automated through the online control panel.

Now however, everything is just far too complicated and I'm not getting any response from my support emails (the first of which I sent back in early December!!). If I change now I'll lose about €90.

EDIT: If I stay, I'll lose all my hair :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭eoin@host.ie

Hello,

I have read with concern the comments of Grahamor and Buttermilkjack and have sent a PM to each of them asking for more information about their issues so that I can, as managing director, carry out an Incident Report into the specific issues raised in their posts. I look forward to their response.

With regards to the substance of the debate it is the case that:

##Register.ie is the only company in Ireland that provide automated .ie processing system with online tracking for customers(.ieXpress http://www.register.ie/ie_xpress.htm )

##Register.ie (as part of Novara.ie ) is the only company in Tier 2 providers to have a financial net worth(ie how much money is invested in the company for the funding of its activities) in excess of E250,000. According to publicly filed documents at the Company's Office of the companies mentioned in this thread:

1. Company A's net worth is minus E133,000
    2. Company B's net worth is E33(yes thirty three euros)
    3. Company C has no visible funding as it has no accounts filed with the CRO

The peace of mind of being able to be certain that your registrar is still going to be around in 12 months time is important to a lot of people.

##Register.ie is the only company in Ireland with a .ie reseller rate of E39.99 plus vat ( http://www.register.ie/reseller_apply.php )

##Register.ie is the only provider in Ireland that carries out a minimum of 10 Customer Satisfaction Surveys a month.

##Register.ie is the only provider that has quality staff that answer the phones first call during standard business hours, no Press 1 for this or Press 12 for that. A recent thread elsewhere on this forum features a complaint that the phones at one company on the thread are not even answered.

Our undiscounted .ie price is pitched at the average prevailing in the Irish market at the moment ( http://www.novara.ie/ie_price_watch.htm ). However we provide far better prices though as follows:

E39.99 plus vat: Reseller deals if you have more than 5 .ie domains become a reseller and get this price.
    E71.99 plus vat discounted price for multiple years: If you purchase for 3 years you get this price
    E69 plus vat when bought as part of a Combo deal: If you purchase more than just the domain name you get this price.

The Irish Domain Registry has made some changes to its price structure earlier this month in response to public pressure from our company. We will shortly be passing on these benefits.

Regards Eoin Costello
    Managing Director

Hello,

##Register.ie (as part of Novara.ie ) is the only company in Tier 2 providers to have a financial net worth(ie how much money is invested in the company for the funding of its activities) in excess of E250,000. According to publicly filed documents at the Company's Office of the companies mentioned in this thread:

This can simply mean your not making money and so have to keep investing to cover costs.
    Register.ie is the only provider in Ireland that carries out a minimum of 10 Customer Satisfaction Surveys a month

Do you customers not get annoyed getting 10 surveys every month?

##Register.ie is the only provider that has quality staff that answer the phones first call during standard business hours, no Press 1 for this or Press 12 for that. A recent thread elsewhere on this forum features a complaint that the phones at one company on the thread are not even answered.

So the phone gets answered by someone in accounts when you want support?

(pseudo-marketting snipped)

The Irish Domain Registry has made some changes to its price structure earlier this month in response to public pressure from our company. We will shortly be passing on these benefits.

Either it's public pressure or it's pressure from your company. Make up your mind.

By the way, 'Presense' is NOT how one spells 'presence'. :)
    (Would it be really snobbish and offensive to admit that a factor in my choice of host was that they didn't indulge in marketing hyperbole, and that they could speak English properly?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 edbyrne

Hmmm ... funny info there. The CRO doc's actually show 365 Hosting Ltd. to be the best funded Tier 2 hoster. John McCormack's stats also give a good overview of the domain market. As does this web site (more for hosting though):http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/Country/IE

Aside from that, price is only half the battle - obvioulsy support and quality of service is important too. Guess personal recommmendations / past experience is the best measure of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Why are there Reseller prices being quoted for people who are obviously end users?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

read most of what was said and reckon webhost.ie beat the lot. maybe not in terms of domain cost for ie (@72e pr domain) but in terms of service, reliability and support and efficiency I have yet to find an equal service in Ireland.

4 years and I yet to have a problem in any of there services. I can run most anything I want in terms of webapplications and any new domains I register are generally 'Live'within a matter of a few hrs evn though it should take upto 72hrs. I have yet to wait more than 6hrs before the domain is fully active.

Checked out most of the providers in Ireland and not one has yet come up to scrath in comparison.

Still in fairness I know some have said they had problems but i can only give my own observation as i say.....

Sposs wrote:

Sposs aka Mr. McCarron of Hosting 365

What is your company's headline price for .ie domains and what is your company's .ie price to resellers?

From checking your pricing page the Hosting 365 .ie price is E84.69.

I can't see your company's reseller price (it is certainly not obvious in any case), is this because you extract more money from some resellers than others and therefore don't want to publish your price?(at least we are open about ours http://www.register.ie/reseller_apply.php ).

Rip offs: on the subject of rip offs of intellectual property surely this would be of more relevance and concern to this list. On looking at your company's pricing page http://www.register365.ie/ I see you are still featuring the domain name guide I wrote 5 years ago(with a couple of Find & Replaces to remove my name).

Here is the same guide correctly accredited to me www.araknie.net/ie-guide.PDF.

Eoin

Sposs aka Mr Aidan Mc Carron

You haven't answered any of my questions Eoin.

I don't own a company however the company i work for Hosting365 charge €69.95 for a .ie domain, and you don't have to register for three years to get that price :)

I believe your PDF link is a guide to Irish domain names as published on the www.iedr.ie website unless your accusing them of copying you aswell.

edbyrne wrote:
    Hmmm ... funny info there. The CRO doc's actually show 365 Hosting Ltd. to be the best funded Tier 2 hoster. John McCormack's stats also give a good overview of the domain market. As does this web site (more for hosting though):http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/Country/IE

Hi Ed,

Just to clarify the URL you quote ( webhosting.info ) shows the number of .com domains etc that individual Irish companies are authorative for. JMCC's analysis shows how many .ie+.com domains a company is authorative for.

The Company Registry Office, www.cro.ie, shows the annual financial returns for company accounts.

Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hi Ed,

Just to clarify the URL you quote ( webhosting.info ) shows the number of .com domains etc that individual Irish companies are authorative for. JMCC's analysis shows how many .ie+.com domains a company is authorative for.

The Company Registry Office, www.cro.ie, shows the annual financial returns for company accounts.

Eoin

Stating the obvious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

From checking your pricing page the Hosting 365 .ie price is E84.69.

if you're going to mention pricing kindly maintain consistency. Either use ex-VAT or VAT inclusive, as the prices you already quoted for yourselves were ex-VAT surely the same would apply for a competitor?

Michele

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

ok children, this is the only warning - keep it on point - any more bitching, etc will result in bans, and thread closure (this thread was started by a consumer talking about the relative prices of .ie domains - keep it on track)

YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WARNED!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

i seem to of started a bit of a war here, oops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

grahamor wrote:
    i seem to of started a bit of a war here, oops :D

It's not your fault. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Well, here's the current IEDR larger resellers list (Table A the IEDR call them), with their published current prices for a new .ie domain.

LetsHost.ie & Blacknight.ie (both of which I've dealt with and can highly recommend) win hands down, everyone else is a big gap away.

To be fair, these are January prices (IEDR dropped pricing, so some hosts are passing these on, temporarily, while more permanent pricing is sorted out next month.
    Host             Price w/ hosting   Price w/o hosting      
    Letshost.ie      €35.09             €35.09      
    Blacknight.ie    €36.30             €36.30      
    Host Ireland     €60.32             €60.32      
    Webhost          €60.49             €60.49      
    IE Internet      €60.50             €60.50             (Says T&C applies, but doesn't say what they are)
    Darklite-Sce     €78.65             €78.65             (It illegally does not say if VAT applies on the site, so 21% is assumed)
    Web World        €83.49             €83.49      
    Hosting 365      €84.64             €84.64      
    Register.ie      €84.69             €96.79      
    Hosting Ireland  €84.70             €84.70      
    Digiweb          €95.59             €95.59      
    Irish Domains    €107.69            €107.69      
    UTV Internet     €153.63            €153.63            (It says VAT is applicable, but not what rate, so 21% is assumed)
    Netsource        €153.67            Not Clear      
    NetNames UK Ltd  €199.65            €199.65            (It says VAT is applicable, but not what rate, so 21% is assumed)
    Switchmedia Ltd. n/a                €105.75
    Eurokom          Not Published      Not Published
    Eircom           Not Published      Not Published
    BT Ireland       Not Published      Not Published

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

and that is the end of that. thanks cgarvey for posting that list up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement