Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skeptic TV

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Now all of this is entirely and transpaently fictional but I couldn't help but think that if I was Joe or Joan Public watching it that it might have some impact on how I perceive this debate in the real world. Any thoughts?

Judge John Deed for the last few episodes has been the best Science Fiction on TV. I think there is a serious case of the DaVinci code going on here!

Yes you accept you are watching fiction in that Deed or the cases don't exist, yet you expect the fictional characters to exist in the real world. You expect people not to levitate or walk through walls, you expect that the mechanics of the court system you are watching are a fair (if simplified) representation of the real process.

This should also apply to the presentation of 'science' - what we saw was pure fiction, an expert talking about mobile phone waves being the same wavelength as human brain waves, and some other nonsense about MMR.

That said the whole Judge Deed series has gone downhill with the same story rehashed every, so the science nonsense is just another part of really poor writing - I used to quite like it but this series has been awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Wow ... just had a look at the Late Late Show and saw the Angel Women. The only redeeming thing about this piece of tv was that was that they were so deluded and outrageously over the top that they almost debunked themselves. Atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 torinoblue

They were quite appalling, but the sad thing was the audience still seemed evenly divided, rather than openly laughing at them. There was a lot of sniggering though.

I wish there was more proper scientists at these TV shows though, she drifted through the usual rubbish about 'energy' [i.e. ethereal bull**** which means nothing] and then tacked on stuff about quantum physics as if her ****e was somehow being verified or explained by these new areas of science, much like the deluded spiritualists and cunning scam artists of two centuries ago with electricity and telecommunications.

Advertisement