Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertising Revenue

Options
  • 18-01-2006 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

I have a good idea for a web site I want to set up. I think it will require a lot of bandwidth which will put a big hole in my pocket depending on how successful it becomes. I am setting this up as an interest rather than a money making venture. I was thinking of ways to make it pay for itself and was considering advertising however I don't know where to start. Does anybody have experience of selling advertising space on their site? Could you offer some suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

I dont know about selling actual advertsing space but on my site i have affiliate advertising for online poker rooms. To my knowledge this is probably the most profitable affiliate advertising you can have on a site at the moment. If your websites target market are people who may also play online poker i would sudjest having a look into it. A company like Ladbrokes will pay £60 for every person that goes from your site and opens a poker account with them or you also have the option of getting 25% of all profits that Ladbrokes make from them for life.

I dont know of any other payment per click advertising that offers such high revenue though. You should also look into carrying google adwords and yahoo overture advertising. They pay you every time someone from your site clicks on one of the advertising links they provide you with. Im not sure how much you get per click and i presume you would need very high volumes of traffic on your site if this was going to be your only source of income from the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

It entirely depends on the site, and how attractive it is to advertisers. Popularity does not equal cash. For example our own dear boards does about 10million page impressions a month but its not that popular with advertisers (don't ask me why, i like the site), whereas a site like entertainment.ie with only 3 million PIPM can be sold out most months.

Advertising is extremly fickle.

The lesson is don't spend to much cash and build things up gradually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I am setting this up as an interest rather than a money making venture.
    Call me cynical, but they’re all ‘interests’ or ‘voluntary’ until they start to make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Call me cynical, but they’re all ‘interests’ or ‘voluntary’ until they start to make money.
    My initial intention is not to make money but down the line if some advertiser offers me a million quid to display their ad I am not going to turn them down!

Seriously though, the only reason I am interested in ads is to pay for the site if it becomes too expensive to host.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Depending on your site, the host might sponsor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If the site has good quality content and becomes popular you could probably help cover any costs with adsense and other methods. If it became really popular you could sell adspace. A lot will depend on the market segment that it is going to attract.
    In either case you are unlikely to have "overnight success" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Actually, there are a lot of sites set up specifically to sell ad-space.

The OP should almost certainly be able to cover costs with AdSense (unless it's a video-download site or similar)

rsynnott wrote:
    Actually, there are a lot of sites set up specifically to sell ad-space.
    How is that a response to what I wrote?
    The OP should almost certainly be able to cover costs with AdSense (unless it's a video-download site or similar)
    "Almost certainly"? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

"Almost certainly"? :rolleyes:

Any website that gets a vaguely significant amount of traffic, has proper content, and no huge bandwidth bills out of proportion to number of views should be able to sustain itself on AdSense

rsynnott wrote:
    Any website that gets a vaguely significant amount of traffic, has proper content, and no huge bandwidth bills out of proportion to number of views should be able to sustain itself on AdSense
    Like this one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement