Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat jumped - from the 1st floor window!

• 18-01-2006 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

I didn't think it was possible, but I found him in the adjoining field, one of his favourite places to wander, after combing the house for about 10 minutes looking for him!

The only way Beenz could have gotten out was through our bedroom window UPSTAIRS! I thought a jump from such a height could kill a cat!

Seanie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

First floor? Pah, most cats laugh in the face of the first floor!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Muckmagnet

last monday a cat ,who was chased up a 6.5 mt pole outside my house by
    a dog , fell off and landed on top of a parked car . I ran out to see if it was alright and it was litteraly scared stiff......totally rigid, i brought it into my house and after a while it just got up and was perfectly alright. Some animals are so agile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Dellgirl wrote:

Well, not quite! This is Beenz:
    Beenz2.JPG

He sometimes sleeps in the strangest of positions...:
    Beenz3.JPG

Seanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I was listening to Dave Fanning on monday night when i was driving home from Cork and apparently the book "Does anything eat wasps?" addresses cat survivablity rates when exiting a building using the free fall method:

Floors 1-6 give good survivablity statistics
    Floor 7 mortality rates increase somewhat
    Floor 8 - x Statistics again begin to favour the cat. (I can't remember which floor x was).

Can't remember if they gave any hard numbers but you get the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Seanie did you not know - they always land on their feet!! :D - my cat doesn't jump from great heights - he usually jumps on to my shoulder for me to save him! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Well Beenz just seems to love being up high! He sleeps at the top of the stairs every night, and usually when the upstairs windows are open, he'll walk out on the cill and just lie there!

Seanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

I think the weight of the animal means they don't fall with as much force as a bigger object like a person or something?

I believe rats can survive 3 story falls...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They don't always land on thier feet. The higher the floor the more chance they have or flipping around to land on their paws. Hence survival can go up as the floors get higher. Cats can also spread eagle like flying squirrels and so have a much lower terminal velocity than a human (~ 196mph head down ). I'd say long hair cats would have a better chance than a sphinx.

Advertisement