Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing question

Options
  • 18-01-2006 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

What would be considered a resonable price for opting for a single-mixer style tap rather than a dual (cold and warm water separate taps) in a new house. The work has not started yet! I was told I would get a quote tomorrow and informed that the basin for a mixer tap is slighltly bigger than for 2 taps. I presume it is faster and easier to fit a mixer tap than 2 serparate taps and am hoping not to be ripped off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

regedit wrote:
    What would be considered a resonable price for opting for a single-mixer style tap rather than a dual (cold and warm water separate taps) in a new house. The work has not started yet! I was told I would get a quote tomorrow and informed that the basin for a mixer tap is slighltly bigger than for 2 taps. I presume it is faster and easier to fit a mixer tap than 2 serparate taps and am hoping not to be ripped off.

mixer taps should be not more than €50-€100 more than the normal taps... never heard for a need for a bigger sink....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Muckmagnet

If your talking about a sink in the kitchen you dont need a bigger basin , but if its a basin in the bath room , you more than likely will need a bigger basin , the neck of the dual tap is a lot longer and reaches out over a standard bathroom basin ......

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Muckmagnet wrote:
    If your talking about a sink in the kitchen you dont need a bigger basin , but if its a basin in the bath room , you more than likely will need a bigger basin , the neck of the dual tap is a lot longer and reaches out over a standard bathroom basin ......

Was talking about the bathroom basin. The ones upstairs have mixer ones but downstairs are dual which I find ridiculous on this day and age (talking about a new house). How much do you reckon I should be prepared to pay for the difference. Is there any brand, model etc I should tell the plumber to stay clear from.
    Thanks the two of you

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

Hi, there is a big difference in the price of mixers. We just got all of our bathroom stuff today and bought a couple of nice plain mixers for €68 +vat but then we splashed out in our room and spent €200 on one. We were never told that we needed bigger basins but we were told that the very small hand basins wre two hole basins (they were tiny).

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Eve1 wrote:
    Hi, there is a big difference in the price of mixers. We just got all of our bathroom stuff today and bought a couple of nice plain mixers for €68 +vat but then we splashed out in our room and spent €200 on one. We were never told that we needed bigger basins but we were told that the very small hand basins wre two hole basins (they were tiny).

To be honest, I am prepared to go as far as 200 Euro. I mean, the plumber will have the use of a classical two tap basin plus the taps and he only needs to get a single, mixer tap and basin. I can see that in B&Q one can get these quite reasonably

• Advertisement
Advertisement